intel 845 chip

G

Does anyone know

P4 1.6 - intel 850 board, with 128 RD Ram
vs
P4 1.6 - intel 845 board with SD Ram
-
I know that the board is about - 20-30% worse in performance .
But then again if I were to pump up the SD RAM to 1 gig would it balance off the RD Ram.?

Considerations are mainly for Ram hungry graphic based apps like photoshop, & Pro E type apps.

problem is that my current machine is a P3 700mhz, with 512 RD Ram and it is real slow. for 2D and 3D app.

thanks Light

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, you've got the stats right.

P3 isnt actually able to take advantage of the huge RDRAM bandwidth. that is why RDRAM tends to be actually slow on performance on the P3.

P4 however, by design lends to the RAMBUS protocol and is able to use the potential 3.2 GB/sec of bandwidth almost completely. costwise, the SDR solution is good but performe worse. you could be better off with 256 MB RDRAM agaimst 1G SDRAM with i845. i845D supporting DDR is awaited next year.

all memory hungry apps like those you listed need faster memory, not just more memory. more memory is to prevent windows from visiting the swapfile often. slower memory only worsen the situation. large amounts of memory, large amounts of faster memory is the only practical soution to such applications.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>