K7S5A Audio97 Problem: StickE.Mouse?

G

I just bought a K7S5A and am having a problem with the Audio97 Codec. Initially, the drivers would not install. I kept getting a "Fail to copy SNDSYS.INF" error. I *THINK* I got around that and installed the drivers but it's still not working. It's got an Exclamation next to it in Device Manager and is currently non-operational. I couldn't find any conflicts in Device Manager, though.

The worst part is that some of my programs won't run AT ALL without it. I keep getting told that my sound hardware is missing and the programs just dump out.

Does anyone know to resolve this? I have been able to find VERY little information on the web regarding problems with the AC97, so I'm not sure where else to turn.

Stick E. Mouse, you answered a previous poster's questions regarding K7S5A problems pretty quickly so I thought you might be able to help me. Please? =o)

Oh, and before anyone else says it, Yes I am aware that the AC'97 is a POS. However, having just shelled out $500 for a new motherboard, an Athlon 1.4 cpu, 256 DDR Ram, and a GeForce3, I won't be able to afford a Philips A.E. for another few weeks and I'd like to have an operational system during that wait. =o)

apollyon

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Go to the Properties of your device with the exclamation mark--what does it say under "Device Status"???
Try <i>COMPLETELY</i> uninstalling the audio drivers and download the latest ones <A HREF="http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/download/driver/k7s.htm" target="_new">here</A>.
Try that first, then tell us what happens.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Well, I managed to fix it. On a whim, while reinstalling the drivers (for about the fifth time) I decided to try installing the Win95 driver instead of the 98. And now it works. =o) Go figure. /shrug

Thanks Stick_E_Mouse! I really appreciate your help. I had pretty much given up but you helped me to look at it one more time... and that was all it took. Thanks again. =o)

apollyon