'Unmountable Boot Volume'

1)How do i recover from the Unmountable Boot Volume
problem without a setup cd?

2) IS IT POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL MY FILES IN DOS MODE WITH A
DRIVE THAT HAS A NSTF PARTITION? I HAD TRIED WITH A WIN
ME STARTUP DISK BUT IT WON'T SHOW THE DRIVE DUE TO THE
FACT THAT IT AIN'T A MS-DOS PARTITION.
4 answers Last reply
More about unmountable boot volume

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "jose" wrote:

    | 1)How do i recover from the Unmountable Boot Volume
    | problem without a setup cd?
    |
    | 2) IS IT POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL MY FILES IN DOS MODE WITH A
    | DRIVE THAT HAS A NSTF PARTITION? I HAD TRIED WITH A WIN
    | ME STARTUP DISK BUT IT WON'T SHOW THE DRIVE DUE TO THE
    | FACT THAT IT AIN'T A MS-DOS PARTITION.

    1. Download the mutliple floppy disk set used to install XP on PCs that can
    not boot form a CD. This set also includes some of the XP recovery console,
    which has some command s that might help, assuming that the problem is
    software (e.g., master boot record, bad BOOT.IBI file, etc) not hardware
    (i.e., disk crash).

    2a. There are free read/copy type drives that will permit DOS to see NTFS
    partitions. See the following link:

    http://www.systeminternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml

    2b. However, your problem might be more serious and if so, DOS+NTFS drivers
    may not help. You might want to try the program FDISK, in read-only mode,
    to see what it thinks in on the disk. If it sees a non-DOS partition, that
    is good, meaning the NTFS partition. If it see no partition, that is bad.
    If it sees no hard drive, that is really bad. Be very careful with FDISK,
    as it can destroy the contents of a disk.

    3a. A third option is to use a (free) LINUX that runs form a CD. KNOPPIX
    version 3.6 is pretty good, and has some support for NTFS. However, it is a
    700 Meg download as an ISO file, which needs something like Easy CD Creator
    or Nero to burn to a CD.

    3b. A variation of the LINUX theme is Bart's PE Builder, which you make on
    a PC running XP. It acts like a more user-friendly recovery console, and
    has full NTFS support. However, I do not know whether a Bart's CD made on
    one PC will work on another. Still, it may be worth a try.

    "jose" <novaxx85@aol.com> wrote in message
    > 1)How do i recover from the Unmountable Boot Volume
    > problem without a setup cd?
    >
    > 2) IS IT POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL MY FILES IN DOS MODE WITH A
    > DRIVE THAT HAS A NSTF PARTITION? I HAD TRIED WITH A WIN
    > ME STARTUP DISK BUT IT WON'T SHOW THE DRIVE DUE TO THE
    > FACT THAT IT AIN'T A MS-DOS PARTITION.

    Hello Jose,

    yes, you can. There is a nice freeware tool (free for private usage)
    that offers full read/write support for NTFS volumes in DOS.

    An unmountable boot volume is often produced by a wrong "Upper Filter"
    entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters
    in the Windows Registry.

    If any UpperFilter driver listed here is not present any more you get
    this error-message. To check this use NTFS4DOS Private and copy the
    file System from %windir%\repair to %windir%\system32\config, whereby
    %windir% is the name of your windows directory.

    It can be named a bug, that a missing upper filter driver for the
    volume causes a blue screen....

    Please make a backup of the original file "System" prior to overwrite
    it!!!
    Later you can load the backup copy of the "System" file as a hive in
    regedit and correct the problem.

    The easiest way to correct such problems is the CIA Commander 2.0 from
    Datapol
    (http://www.datapol.de)

    Hope this helps

    Thomas

    "jose" <novaxx85@aol.com> wrote in message news:<141b01c4ae9c$b320a9d0$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
    > 1)How do i recover from the Unmountable Boot Volume
    > problem without a setup cd?
    >
    > 2) IS IT POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL MY FILES IN DOS MODE WITH A
    > DRIVE THAT HAS A NSTF PARTITION? I HAD TRIED WITH A WIN
    > ME STARTUP DISK BUT IT WON'T SHOW THE DRIVE DUE TO THE
    > FACT THAT IT AIN'T A MS-DOS PARTITION.

    forgot to mention

    NTFS4DOS is at http://www.wsdownload.de/download/ntfs4dos/ntfsinst.exe

    Thomas

    "jose" <novaxx85@aol.com> wrote in message news:<141b01c4ae9c$b320a9d0$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
    > 1)How do i recover from the Unmountable Boot Volume
    > problem without a setup cd?
    >
    > 2) IS IT POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL MY FILES IN DOS MODE WITH A
    > DRIVE THAT HAS A NSTF PARTITION? I HAD TRIED WITH A WIN
    > ME STARTUP DISK BUT IT WON'T SHOW THE DRIVE DUE TO THE
    > FACT THAT IT AIN'T A MS-DOS PARTITION.

Partition Boot Windows XP