Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Help With In Game Lag

Last response: in Video Games
October 2, 2011 2:36:45 AM

My games lag after 5 mins in game it lag for a couple of seconds like 10 and then stops the process repeats itself over and over again big lag :( 
only seems to lag on demanding games left for dead 2 Mass Effect 2 games like that works fine

my system specs windows 7 64 Bit

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC
Processor: amd phenom ii x2 555 unlock 4 cores 3.2GHz
Video card: ATI XFX 6870
Ram: 4GB DDr3 1333
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Power supply: 630W
Hard drives: 2 7200RPM 1 5200 rpm Drive

Things I did that didn't work :fou: 

reinstall windows
uninstall antivirus AVG
defragment hard drives
change video card to a nvidia GTS 250
clean up registry errors
update drivers catalyst 11.9
CPU temperatures are low 55c max
GPU temperatures are low 85c max

Games that are lagging

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3 Beta
F1 2011
Need for speed Shift 2
dirt 3

More about : game lag

October 2, 2011 4:11:24 AM

Quote:

85C isn't actually low, it's rather high.
The reason for stuttering is that your card is overheating. What are the temps while at idle?

CPU temps are okay.
Check if the card has got any sorts of dust piled up. Check if the heatsink is loose. :) 
Score
October 2, 2011 5:13:46 AM

Gman450 said:
Quote:

85C isn't actually low, it's rather high.
The reason for stuttering is that your card is overheating. What are the temps while at idle?

CPU temps are okay.
Check if the card has got any sorts of dust piled up. Check if the heatsink is loose. :) 

that can't be the problem the maximum temperature for that card is can is 105c on the amd web site
and for the dust piled I bought the card a month ago i have dust filter in my computer i don't think the heatsink is loose I don't hear any shaking
Score
Related resources
October 2, 2011 5:37:16 AM

Yes, maybe for the "generic" 6870 card, those temps listed on AMD website are the norm. But you have to take into account that there are a lot of GPU manufacturers, with different cooling solutions and slightly different temperature thresholds. Some of the cards might actually run too hot at 85 degrees, while others might cope better at those values.

To be honest, to me too it seems those temps are a bit too high, mate. And if a card is running too hot, it may not always be the heatsink to blame.
Score
October 2, 2011 8:06:23 AM

david1006 said:
that can't be the problem the maximum temperature for that card is can is 105c on the amd web site
and for the dust piled I bought the card a month ago i have dust filter in my computer i don't think the heatsink is loose I don't hear any shaking

AMD's website shows the temps of their cards max temp. You have got it from another distributor.
Either ways, 85C is really a high temp and you could be risking permanent damage!
Score
October 2, 2011 5:05:46 PM

i set the fan speed on the control center set it to 50% I have a intake fan 120m blows air in that case the game still stuttering after a few minutes it will stop and then start again the lag is bad ill get 60FPS drops down to like 15FPS if the card was overheating will I get artifacts in my screen I've been playing PC games for a long time now never had a problem like this before im playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 online
Score
October 2, 2011 5:16:02 PM

Artifacts do appear when the GPU is overheating. But stuttering is the first thing that happens.
Did you see if the GPU heatsink is closely attached? Does it have any sorts of dust?
Score
October 2, 2011 5:43:04 PM

david1006 said:
i set the fan speed on the control center set it to 50% I have a intake fan 120m blows air in that case the game still stuttering after a few minutes it will stop and then start again the lag is bad ill get 60FPS drops down to like 15FPS if the card was overheating will I get artifacts in my screen I've been playing PC games for a long time now never had a problem like this before im playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 online

Gman450 said:
Artifacts do appear when the GPU is overheating. But stuttering is the first thing that happens.
Did you see if the GPU heatsink is closely attached? Does it have any sorts of dust?

No i didn't see any sorts of dust the card seem to be pretty tight to the heatsink how do you know if its loose this started happening on day 1. I bought the GPU a month ago I thought it was the driver (11.8) so i waited a month update to (11.9) didn't fix the lag
Score
October 2, 2011 5:58:08 PM

david1006 said:
No i didn't see any sorts of dust the card seem to be pretty tight to the heatsink how do you know if its loose this started happening on day 1. I bought the GPU a month ago I thought it was the driver (11.8) so i waited a month update to (11.9) didn't fix the lag

Try rolling back to 11.7, I've been having problems with 11.8 and 11.9 on my 6870s.
Score
October 2, 2011 6:32:52 PM

DodSno said:
Try rolling back to 11.7, I've been having problems with 11.8 and 11.9 on my 6870s.

I remember doing that it didn't work. is it possible the card is defective? i remember reading a form that had the same problem he find out it was his motherboard that was Causing his games to stutter can you guys look up my motherboard to see if is good or not (Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC) it has pci express X16 NOT pci express 2.0 maybe the bandwidth is too slow for some game which makes some of my games stutter. the link to my Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
October 2, 2011 8:53:53 PM

try turning off power saving mode in bios and the desktop power settings.
add a few hundred mhz to the cpu and see if it balances out.

i found i had to bump my i7 to 3.2 to stop in game stutter on cod 4. some other things that can cause games to stutter...
time update sync (turn it off from contol panel)
incompatible mouse drivers.
unstable INTERNET connection... (try optomizing it)
to high fps. increase in game quality settings. (anything over 120 fps should be considered high fps).

Score
October 2, 2011 9:41:30 PM

I agree that if drivers have been ruled out as a cause then the next most likely problem is vSync. This is supported by your observation that it only happens in demanding games. If you have your graphics settings adjusted so that most of the time the framerate is more than 60fps and only drops below in demanding scenes of demanding games you will get this effect. My understanding of vSync is that as long as your card can keep the framerate above 60fps you won't have a problem (good if the framerate is too high and produces tearing) but as soon as it drops below 60fps the way frames are buffered will cause the framerate to be almost exactly half of the cap. If you monitor the framerate with FRAPS and it drops suddenly from 60 to 30 but doesn't spend much time between then it likely is a vSync issue. I had the same problem quite a bit in games that won't let you disable vSync when I was running a single 6870 because they can't always keep the framerate above 60 under a heavy load.
Score
October 2, 2011 10:07:17 PM

I never tried to disable vSync ill disable it let you guys know what happen and HEXiT said I can disable vSync in the contol panel how do you do that exactly
and i did optimize my INTERNET connection on AVG PC Tuneup
Score
October 2, 2011 10:24:28 PM

OK it did not work i tried off vSync and i had fraps running i had 60fps and den drop down to 12fps everything i do never works i even use my old GTS 250 something happen WTF! :cry: 
Score
October 3, 2011 2:05:43 AM

It sounds like the problem is independant of your gpu and gpu drivers so at least that narrows down the potential causes. My Phenom II seems to throtle itself at below the 62 degrees that AMD claim it can tollerate, in fact it happens at about the 55 degree mark if I remember right. I'm not sure how tough it would be to re-disable a core or two to bring the temperature down to the mid-40's, alternatively you could downclock and undervolt it to about 3GHz to lower the temps without destroying performance in order to eliminate premature cpu downclocking as a potential factor.
Score
October 3, 2011 4:44:58 PM

DodSno said:
It sounds like the problem is independant of your gpu and gpu drivers so at least that narrows down the potential causes. My Phenom II seems to throtle itself at below the 62 degrees that AMD claim it can tollerate, in fact it happens at about the 55 degree mark if I remember right. I'm not sure how tough it would be to re-disable a core or two to bring the temperature down to the mid-40's, alternatively you could downclock and undervolt it to about 3GHz to lower the temps without destroying performance in order to eliminate premature cpu downclocking as a potential factor.

my CPU is the phenom ii x2 555 i always have it unlock to 4 cores i never had a problem when its unlock until now the CPU was the causes of the problem when its unlock my games start to stutter CPU usage 100% when its happening and i think i know why its happening during the summer the CPU was running hot i guess it was too hot I bought a new CPU cooler you can see it on the link here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but i guess it was too late the damage is done if you guy know any ideas why this is happening please let me know can all so Help people who's having the same problem..
(when CPU is idol 20c) (when playing Battlefield Bad Company 37c)
Score
October 3, 2011 5:33:20 PM

Those temperatures with the new cooler look ok. I don't think you damaged anything, the cpu should throttle before you actually damage it. You might be unlucky in that you got an x2 which unlocks to an x4 but where one or both of the cores which were locked are defective and produce errors under stress (I'm not sure if that would produce the problem you're describing). You might want to try running a prime95 torture test on it to see if it encounters any errors.

From your description of the problem, my guess would still be something overheating rather than a defective core. What kind of case do you have and how well ventilated is it? If your gpu is consistently seeing 85deg, your other components might be starved for air and could benefit from another fan (my 6870 with reference cooler never exceeds 75deg). You should blow all the dust out of the heat sinks if you haven't already, then temporarily open your case and point a room fan at the motherboard to check if something on it is overheating.
Score
October 3, 2011 7:41:47 PM

Ok im running prime95 right now i'll let you know what happens when its done.. i tried unlocking it to a x4 again this time i under clock it to 2.8GHz when im playing Battlefield the game still lags but this time it takes longer to start happening drops down to 12FPS for 15 sec or so then back to 60FPS but when its on x2 doesn't happen at all

This is my case link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... : I have one 120mm rear fan and another 120mm fan at the front which blows air from the outside to in the case. and the video card i called XFX customer service and ask if the 6870 running to hot at 85c they say its ok the card is design to run that hot at 30% fan speed if the card temperature to reach above 90s the fan speed would go up to keep it at the 80s mark.
Score
October 3, 2011 8:16:40 PM

The fact that the problem disappears when in x2 mode would lead me to believe that there is something wrong with at least one of the locked cores. If you can, it might be worth it to unlock one core, test it then unlock just the other core and test again to see if one or both of them is affected.

That gpu temp should be fine, lots of folks (myself included) tend to shoot for the lowest possible temperature but you're still well within spec so I wouldn't worry.

I followed the link you posted to your case and from what I can read off the power supply label, it lists

+12v = 16A
+5v = 35A
+3.3v = 20A

Since V*A=W you've only got
192 Watts on the +12v rail (where most of the load is in a modern computer)
175W on the +5v rail (where most of the load used to go ~10 years ago)
66W on the +3.3v rail

I think this is cause for some concern. I believe that this is an older power supply design from when most of the load was applied to the +5v rail. In a modern computer (yours) the majority of load is applied to the +12v rail so a modern power supply can deliver most if not all of its rated wattage through the +12v. Here's a link to a modern, reasonably priced, psu with about the same wattage as yours

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

it lists 2 +12v rails, one at 16A and one at 17 for a combined total of 384 watts on the +12.

With your current setup your video card has the potential to draw about 150W and your cpu another 80W for a total of 230W which is already well above your power supply's max of 192. That's not to say every time you play a game you're exceeding the limits of the psu but I wouldn't dare run your setup with that supply, frankly It's a time bomb which could take out the rest of your components if/when it goes. If I were you, my first priority would be to replace it with a better quality unit. The unit I linked earlier is popular for lower power systems like yours. Antec, Corsair and Seasonic are 3 reasonably well respected psu makers. It's usually prudent to read a few review before you buy because even the most reputable manufacturers occasionally make a bad product. hardwaresecrets.com is a favourite of mine for psu reviews. Newer power supplies tend to have much better efficiency as well which will save you (some) money in the long run.
Score
October 3, 2011 9:06:54 PM

That's certainly a step in the right direction. I haven't heard great things about Raidmax but if the problem started before you switched psu's and continued afterward then you can at least rule that out as a problem.
Score
October 3, 2011 9:24:59 PM

Prime95 is still running no errors so far i never used this program be for so i don't know how long its going to take when its done. i'll disable one of the cores to see if i can find the bad one i'll let you know what happens if the CPU is defective do you think i can used the amd warranty? I got the CPU on (02/09/2011)
Score
October 3, 2011 9:36:36 PM

If you set Pirme95 to run a torture test it will only stop when it encounters an error or when you tell it to. I take it you're testing all four cores at once? If you are and none of the 4 threads have stopped due to error for a few hours then you can probably rule that out as a problem. If you monitor the processor frequency with cpuZ and while it's running prime95 you see the frequency drop from 3200MHz to 800MHz for a few seconds, then climb back up to 3200 that probably means the cpu is throttling itself. What are your temps at with prime95?

Unfortunately, if the 2 cores visible from the factory work, then AMD have lived up to their end of the bargain. By unlocking the other 2 you are running the processor outside the recommended specs and so have voided your warranty. AMD makes no claim that the locked 2 will work, in fact when P2 was first released the x2's were really x4's with 2 defective cores just as x3's were x4's with 1 defective core. As yields got better, there was still demand for the x3 and x2's so AMD started to disable useable cores which is why unlocking is a gamble at best. You don't know if yours has defective cores or just disabled functional cores.
Score
October 3, 2011 10:07:12 PM

I looked it CPUZ while Pirme95 is running and your right the frequency drop from 3200MHz to 800MHz for a few seconds then climb back up this like you said i looked at task manager all 4 cores are at 100% usage do you think if i disable cool and quiet will help?

EVEREST Ultimate Edition
Temperatures
Motherboard 53 °C (127 °F)
CPU 49 °C (120 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 0 °C (32 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 0 °C (32 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 0 °C (32 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 0 °C (32 °F)
MCP 91 °C (196 °F)
Aux 28 °C (82 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 45 °C (113 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 43 °C (109 °F)
FUJITSU MHW2120BH 40 °C (104 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1395 RPM
Chassis 1172 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.19 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.06 V
+12 V 12.09 V
+5 V Standby 5.28 V
Score
October 4, 2011 12:43:27 AM

That behavior sounds typical of a cpu throttling itself due to temperature. I'm not too familiar with the whole core unlocking process or the program you're using to monitor temps but it looks to me like the CPU temperature sensors are not being read. If I remember right, the temperature Everest is reporting is typically higher (with a higher limit) than the ones it's not (limit ~62deg), so if that's the temperature the motherboard is using to determine throtling it could be the cause of the problem. Did you notice the cpu temperature before this problem started? Did it suddenly stop reading or has it never read after you unlocked it?

What worries me a bit is that MCP temperature. According to google it's the southbridge combined with a couple other chips all on the same package. Other people reported similarly hight temperatures so it's not unheard of but some of the motherboards with this chip come with small fans specifically to cool it. It might improve stability to add a small fan blowing across it.

I would set it back to x2 mode and run prime95 while monitoring the temps and frequency again to see if you see the same frequeny drop and high MCP temp are observed. My guess is that the temp will stay high but the frequency will hold steady.
Score
October 4, 2011 1:56:11 AM

unfortunately when the CPU is on x4 mode you can't read the temperature (EVEREST Ultimate Edition) is the only program i cant find that gives you any short of reading on the CPU temperature any other programs will this say (0c) when i first got the CPU i looked it up on Google and apparently that's normal you cant read the temperature of a AMD CPU when its unlock :??:  with the MCP temperature its always bin that high (x2 or x4 mode). the CPU temperature (CPU 49 °C 120 °F) used to be higher then that with the old CPU cooler it got up to (55c) and that's before the problem started. the maximum temperature it can handle 70c but I think that's only when it in x2 mode

Temperatures it idol on x2 mode
Motherboard 52 °C (126 °F)
CPU 37 °C (99 °F) Notice here 37 °C is higher then the actual CPU Temperatures 22 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 22 °C (72 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 22 °C (72 °F)
MCP 91 °C (196 °F)
Aux 26 °C (79 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 46 °C (115 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 42 °C (108 °F)
FUJITSU MHW2120BH 39 °C (102 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1406 RPM
Chassis 1180 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.19 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.06 V
+12 V 12.14 V
+5 V Standby 5.28 V

Temperatures at load when prime95 is running on x2 mode
Motherboard 53 °C (127 °F)
CPU 48 °C (118 °F) something here 48 °C is higher then the actual CPU Temperatures 34 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 34 °C (93 °F)
MCP 91 °C (196 °F)
Aux 28 °C (82 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 41 °C (106 °F)
WDC WD800LB-60DNA1 42 °C (108 °F)
FUJITSU MHW2120BH 39 °C (102 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1406 RPM
Chassis 1180 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.41 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.06 V
+12 V 12.09 V
+5 V Standby 5.26 V

When prime95 is running the CPU frequency drop from 3200MHz to 800MHz for a few seconds this like when it on x4 mode :??: 

Score
October 4, 2011 5:16:07 PM

It sounds to me like the problem is being caused by the unlocked cores. I'm afraid I don't know much about processor unlocking and have no idea why the problem you described would start all of a sudden but there should be all sorts on tom's with advice about what to try next. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Score
October 4, 2011 5:40:02 PM

I find the Cause of the problem I went into my motherboard bios setting the chipset configuration in there is something called CPU thermal throttle I had to disable it
the cpu frequency stop dropping when im playing games no lag on x4 mode what a pain in the ass I would've never found out the problem if you haven't help me I owe you big time for this if your on steam you can add me on there its (Rockstar) let me know if you have trouble finding it thanks a lot
Score

Best solution

October 4, 2011 6:14:45 PM

Glad I could help. Just keep an eye on those temperatures with some of the thermal protection disabled. It shouldn't be a problem though.
October 4, 2011 7:21:50 PM

Best answer selected by david1006.
Score
October 4, 2011 11:08:06 PM

like i said try turning off power saving mode in bios and the desktop power settings.
what your refering to is amd's powesaving feature... they dont have thermal control per'say the power isnt reduced because of temps its reduced to save energy. basicaly the cpu multiplyer halves and the core volts drop. this helps reduce temps and increase system efficiency...

you can turn it off in bios or you can adjust how intrusive it is in the powermangment options in windows. the best bet is windows. just set the idle cpu usage to +5 percent and the max cpu usage to 100 percent. this way power saving wont enable unless the cpu is below 5 percent usage...

sorry i didnt explain it clearer the first time.

nor did i say disable vsnc... i was on about time sync. where your clock syncs with the atomic clock to get the acccurate time.. not vsync on the monitor timing. time sync can interfear witgh some games.
Score
October 5, 2011 12:36:10 AM

Yeah i never used AMD cpus before now so it was hard to tell what was the power settings are in the bios and the Power Options in windows i always leave it in balance but thinks for the help all so now i know.
Score
October 5, 2011 12:42:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!