Conflict: Abit BE6-II vs Windows XP

richierich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
Guys, I'm having a lot of trouble installing windows XP on my home PC. It installs fine on my Brother's PC using the same HD which makes me think that its a motherboard conflict.

I had a similar problem when installing win2000 but solved the problem by installing the win2000 drivers during setup. I don't get this option when installing XP however, the PC just stops not long after the installation commences.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a BF6 (very similar to your mobo) with XP Pro loaded on it. It runs quite well with an old 433 Celeron.

You provide no details regarding your system components or your method of installation, making a qualified reply impossible.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

I downloaded and ran the XP compatibility checker on my BE6 system. It stated that XP could not be installed due to the HPT366 controller (not present on the BF6). The controller is disabled in Windows and I am using the standard IDE controller due to ongoing problems reading large files even with the latest bios and driver updates.

At this point I would like to know if anyone has any idea how to disable this thing so that Windows does not detect it.

G

I have the original BE6, not the BE6-II. I see settings in the bios (be6_th or be6th128) to disable IDE1 and IDE2 but not the HPT366 (guess it would be IDE3?).

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I installed XP on my BE6 with no problems. Attach the HD to the Highpoint IDE contoller. Put the Windows 2000 drivers on a floppy disk. Boot to the Windows CD. At the begginning of the install when it says Hit F6 to install additional SCSI devices hit F6 and it will find the Highpoint Drivers on the floppy.

Good Luck.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, and when devices are being installed you may get an error message saying that the Highpoint Contoller is not compatible with windows. Go ahead and install it anyway. I did that I've I've been running XP on my BE6 for weeks now with no problems.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"