A7V-E and Win2K instalation

G

I got a ASUS K7V-E motherboard, Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card and CPU Athlon 1.2GHZ to upgrade my computer. I tried to install Win2000 Professional without sucess. The installation of Win2000 Professional hangs during the process, showing a blue window message: "Hardware malfunction. Call your vendor support. System halted". Does anybody noticed the same problem I have?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Claudio_Chang on 09/21/01 08:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to give more details on your hardware configuration (hard disks, add-on cards, ...).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Actual configuration is:
Asus A7VE Motherboard, Athlon 1,2Ghz, Nvidia TNT2 M64 32Mb AGP,512MB RAM, Hard disk Maxtor 9204U4, Fax modem Motorola 56Kbps.Nothing more than this...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Probably your memory failed. Are they 2 sticks of 256M or 1 stick of 512M?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

YEP, I sure have. Just went through the exact same problem couple weeks ago. I *think* it's the problem with Via Audio. Before starting the installation, go to bios and disable onboard (or onchip?) audio altogether and that should remove eliminate the problem. After Win2k is installed, turn back on the audio and Win2k should detect the new hardware.

However though, my Win2k crashes (BSD) periodically due to viaaudio.sys. So I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with either the hardware or the driver. This is my second A7V-E and the first posed any problem though.... strange... Anyone have any idea? TIA

Kesh

p.s. you might also need to remove all PCI components as well.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kesh on 09/18/01 01:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>