right click causes windows to malfunction

hey guys
whenever i right click to delete a folder or right click
in the internet explorer's drop down favorites window to
delete a favorite folder, my internet explorer shuts
down. it gives me an explorer malfunction warning and
asks me whether i want to send the error report or not. i
always do. someone help me. this is becoming tiresome.
thanks,
abdu
7 answers Last reply
More about right click windows malfunction

    I just want to add that I am having similar problems on
    *2* computers I recently upgraded to service pack 2. So
    far the one computer I have no problems with is still
    running SP1. Try this and see if this also happens to
    you. Click on Start, All Programs and choose any
    file/program and right click on it. The computer will
    hang there for a few seconds...and then revert back to
    the desktop. No pop-up window will appear as it normally
    does when right clicking on a file. I also find I can
    browse files thru Explorer.exe but cannot delete them or
    copy, cut or move them. I hope someone has a fix soon.

    I do not have a problem such as that.
    "Tetley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just want to add that I am having similar problems on
    > *2* computers I recently upgraded to service pack 2. So
    > far the one computer I have no problems with is still
    > running SP1. Try this and see if this also happens to
    > you. Click on Start, All Programs and choose any
    > file/program and right click on it. The computer will
    > hang there for a few seconds...and then revert back to
    > the desktop. No pop-up window will appear as it normally
    > does when right clicking on a file. I also find I can
    > browse files thru Explorer.exe but cannot delete them or
    > copy, cut or move them. I hope someone has a fix soon.

    Well, I have found various users with somewhat similar
    problems with Windows Explorer. I had just installed SP2
    and therefore concluded it might be the culprit. So went
    to add/remove progams and uninstalled it...and now my
    computer is back to working perfectly <knocks on wood>
    Therefore I will wait until more fixes are out before
    installed SP2.

    Same problem here having installed SP2
    Right click freezes pc and cannot delete files on a zip
    drive disc either. Come on Windows sort it out.

    I notice we havn't had any replies.

    Just found this in here:

    "It seems to revolve around Windows File Protection preventing some files
    from getting updated.
    Install the Service Pack in Safe Mode and the issue goes away."

    Haven't tried this yet but may give it a go.

    abdullah wrote:
    > hey guys
    > whenever i right click to delete a folder or right click
    > in the internet explorer's drop down favorites window to
    > delete a favorite folder, my internet explorer shuts
    > down. it gives me an explorer malfunction warning and
    > asks me whether i want to send the error report or not. i
    > always do. someone help me. this is becoming tiresome.
    > thanks,
    > abdu

    Your experience seems to be part of a group of similar problems.

    You are dealing with a KNOWN PROBLEM that MS acknowledges
    but apparently cannot fix. This condition, and variants have
    been around for several years.
    In addition to the suggests listed here, some people think
    that certain applications also are responsible. Check with
    each of your application publishers or search the internet
    for the “right-click” problem and your application. Other
    suggestions relate to updating drivers.

    My experience is that even a vanilla fresh install from
    scratch of XP (SP1 on the install disks) from the install
    disks carries this problem with it. I’ve restored vanilla
    four times and this condition is present. Upgrading to SP2
    does not improve the situation. For me the condition appears
    randomly: sometimes it just hangs with an hourglass,
    sometimes it allows me to use properties and make changes
    immediately, sometimes it takes ten seconds, sometimes, 30
    seconds. These are my tests with only the OS installed
    (absolute minimum default reconfiguration, wipe the disk and
    start all over install) (and with the rest of the junk
    thrown in by the manufacturer or MS as part of the default
    minimum install).

    HERE ARE SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS I HAVE GATHERED FROM THE NET.
    *
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819946

    Visual Effects
    clear fade slide menus into view (I disabled all of the
    choices as an alternative – i.e. Adjust for Best
    Performance) (This will change the lock of the desktop and
    task bar.)
    OK

    and also
    Control Panel
    Folder Options
    General
    “Use Windows classic folders.”
    OK

    and also
    Control Panel
    Folder Options
    View
    clear “Automatically search for network folders and printers.”
    OK

    * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819101
    Control Panel
    Display
    Appearance
    Effects
    “Clear the Use the following transition effect for menus.”
    OK

    * Disable: Data Execution Prevention
    Three ways to disable DEP:
    1) IMPORTANT: Save a copy of your original Boot.ini file
    as a backup before you make changes. Now how the heck you do
    this in the root directory is a challenge since you cannot
    right-click on that folder! I saved boot,ini to another
    folder, renamed it “copy of “ and dragged it back to the root.
    * Click Start -> Run
    * Enter Attrib C:\Boot.ini -r -h -s
    * Click Start -> Run
    * Enter Notepad C:\Boot.ini
    * Under [operating systems] replace the parameter
    /NoExecute=xxxxx with /Execute
    * Save the Boot.ini file
    * Click Start -> Run
    * Enter Attrib C:\Boot.ini +r +h +s
    * Restart your computer
    or
    2) Control Panel
    Setup and Recovery
    Settings
    System startup
    Edit
    Under [operating systems] replace the parameter
    /NoExecute=xxxxx with /Execute
    This auto opens notepad so you can save it first with a
    backup name), and save the changed version as boot.ini.
    or
    3: Control Panel
    System
    Performance
    Settings
    Data Execution Prevention
    Turn off for essential programs, for all programs
    Apply
    OK

    Make sure that client server for NetWare is not activated
    (unless you run Novell!!)

    If you run PGP (Pretty Good Protection) cryptography
    encoding I have seen a suggestion to turn it off (uninstall
    it) or get the latest version compatible with XP.

    MS e-tech suggestions for troubleshooting consists of
    msconfig turning off all start items and letting computer do
    a “clean boot.”
    Also to selectively allow ms/windows services to boot, but
    not non-ms services. In other words, MS does not have a clue.

    None of the above work for me, but that’s what’s out there.

    I had explorer.exe hanging when certain objects (drives or folders, not
    individual files) or sometimes when deleting or shift-deleting.
    Uninstalling PGP ver 8 corrected the issue immedately. system is super
    clean (chkdsk'd, defrag'd, regclean'd, no malware) and several programs
    that were installed after PGP were removed before PGP. that's kinda the
    weird part; initial install of PGP 8 did not cause the issue (at least
    not immedately), but removing it definately corrected the problem :D

    --
    viatetsuo

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP