Poll: KG7-RAID vs. GA-7DXR

G

OK. Given the problems I have been running into with My KG7-R, I am considering going with a different MB. The Abit has barely been on the market, so I figure lets get something more mature. I have also seen, here and on newsgroups, that there are a lot of issues with the KG7-R. If ASUS had a raid offering, I would go for it. I am leaning toward the GA-7DXR. How have people's experiences been with this mb?

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Lucky i did not buy the KG7-Raid yet... Looks like there are problems with it. What kind are you having?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
never had any probs with my kg7 easy to setup /use & overclocks very well!!!!!!!!!
sorry to hear of your experiences

G

I don't know the GA-7DXR, but I am having great luck with my KG7-Raid MoBo.

Good luck with the stufforz, keep us posted on what your experiences are with the other MoBo.

PS: It's amazing how many 'MoBo' problems don't occur with a correctly installed operating system. (Hint, Hint...)

G

My problems with the OS are under a different thread, entitled "KG7-RAID + WIN2K install = BOOM"

G

The whole thingy drives me nutz. I was considering switching to 2K, but then I remembered how much pain was involved in getting my 98 SE stable.

I think the entire industry needs to shift priorities to stability and useability. Fast is nice and all that, but what the f**k good is it if you have to be l337 to make it work.

The hardware world isn't any better. How many times has anyone here had <b> all </b> the instructions/explanations included in the box... NEVER!

How many of us run the software that actually came with a device?

BAH! If the hardware manufacturers can't even get enough information out of MicroS**t to interface properly on the first try... how the heck are we supposed to?????

It reminds me of lawyers and doctors... they know if they speak english and tell what is really going on, it would be quickly realized that maybe they weren't so special after all.

Ok, now I feel better
/me puts away the soapbox

TotalEclipse

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
As far as setup goes the GA-7DXR is easy. Move one jumper (to switch from 100MHz fsb to 133) and plug & play. I've been running mine with Win2k for ~a week now with no stability problems so far, and it all seems nice and fast. I'm having a slight issue getting the temperature down (see thread on CPU board for details) but it's not a big thing. Potentially of note is that this is the first computer I've ever built...

*As the username implies, I'm generally in the dark*

G

I just put together my pc with KG7-R, the only problem I had was with a sticky DDR Ram's, but after re-seating them, the mobo worked fine. Raid set up is a wonderful thing. I also have a GA 7DX(not Raid), This mobo is great, no problems what so ever, I would expect the same with the 7Dx R. You do have more control will all the setting with the KG7Raid. I mean the setting options seems endless. Whereas the GA 7DX, the settings were limited.
I hope this helps....