reasons quit playin eq1

I quit playing eq1 after having played for 2 years:

1. Because with each expansion my computer became more and more obsolete to
the point of being almost unplayable and I wasn't willing to fork out
another $1000 for a new one.

2. The game had become too predictable and repetitious. Eg. find a group,
camp, wait for mobs, kill mobs, distribute loot, repeat.

3. Soloing was almost impossible.

4. Doing anything other than camping gave very few rewards.

I'm thinking of giving eq2 a try, but some of the things I've read are
giving me pause. It sounds like there are lots of complaints about getting
all your hardware configured to be able to have smooth play. (My 'puter is 5
years old so I am shopping for a new system)

Also I'm wondering if in their effort to eliminate kill stealing, they have
made the playing enviroment too controlled. Frankly I didn't think ksing was
that much a problem to begin with. Most of the time the ksing was a mistake
and not intentional.

Is eq2 even more geared toward grouping than eq1? I've heard that they've
minimized being able to buff someone not in your group. I liked to be able
give someone buffs in exchange for $ or to help a lower lvl get through the
zone.

Is eq2 more of the same with better graphics?

I have only seen the screen shots. (trailer wouldn't even run on my 'puter)
The graphics look fantastic, but is play worth the $ and effort?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800, "wade shepard"
<wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote:

>3. Soloing was almost impossible.

Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to
70, though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is
you weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800, "wade shepard"
> <wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>
> Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to
> 70, though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is
> you weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.

A warrior completely losses the ability to solo at about level 20-25.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:23:43 -0500, "Kevin T. Matthews"
<matthews@knology.net> wrote:

>"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800, "wade shepard"
>> <wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>>
>> Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to
>> 70, though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is
>> you weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.
>>

>A warrior completely losses the ability to solo at about level 20-25.

Tell that to Woody over at GU. He was still soloing Vhah into his
50's. Yes, it's slow, but possible.

--

Kevin T. Matthews wrote:
> "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800, "wade shepard"
>><wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>>3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>>
>>Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to
>>70, though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is
>>you weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.
>>

> A warrior completely losses the ability to solo at about level 20-25.

Nonsense, I played a warrior to level 30 and soloed most of that, it
really wasn't particularly hard to do so, its just a matter of picking
your fights: you want mobs that don't run (because you have no snare)
and that you can get single (because you have no way to park them) and
that you can kill on the hp you can get back via bind wounds.

When I did it, that meant 50%, or slightly more if you had a lot of HP
gear. They've changed that now; when I did the same thing with my
berserker I could bind up much higher, which meant I could take on
harder mobs. And the regen rate was also changed, so that it actually
made sense to wait for full hp. Soloing a warrior was far from
impossible before, but post changes, it must be even easier.

If there's a class that can't solo to 70, I suppose it would be the
rogue, the only class who's ability to deal decent damage relies on the
mob facing in the other direction. And even there I have my doubts, as
I'm not sufficiently conversant with the class to know if they can get
ahold of a fear and snare kit of some kind.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800 in
<Gioqd.42$NO5.17@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, "wade shepard"
<wshepard@mn.rr.com> graced the world with this thought:

>1. Because with each expansion my computer became more and more obsolete to
>the point of being almost unplayable and I wasn't willing to fork out
>another $1000 for a new one.

After three new systems, I won't buy even a <component> in order to
keep playing at this point. This figures heavily into why I won't be
playing EQ2, because you can bet your ass in one year they're going to
require everyone to be getting something new. My entire C drive has
nothing but Windows and EQ on it, and I'm running out of room.

No thanks. No more.

Wolfie

wade shepard wrote:

> Also I'm wondering if in their effort to eliminate kill stealing,
> they have made the playing enviroment too controlled. Frankly I
> didn't think ksing was that much a problem to begin with. Most of the
> time the ksing was a mistake and not intentional.

What "too-controlled?" Now you can't KS. Or
power-level. So what?

> I've heard that they've minimized being able to buff someone
> not in your group. I liked to be able give someone buffs in exchange
> for $ or to help a lower lvl get through the zone.

First, a low-level that needs help getting through the zone
shouldn't be there. If you want to help, group with them
and escort them through. This isn't EQ1 where you needed
to run through high-level zones to get to another low-level
hunting zone.

Second, yeah, you can't buff someone outside your group.
And if you group and they leave the group, they lose the
buff right away. So no more KEI-queens or whatever.
And no more druid/wizard port-whores. Long overdue,
IMO.

> I have only seen the screen shots. (trailer wouldn't even run on my
> 'puter) The graphics look fantastic, but is play worth the $ and
> effort?

Seems to me -- IMO -- but it's still too early to see what
the mid-game will be like -- and the end-game is unknown.
One thing to remember -- EQ2 supposedly has *200*
levels and only 50 in the base game. Even the level
50's won't have a clue what the mid-game will be like...

But they've done some things "right" IMO. It seems
they addressed the biggest problems in EQ fairly well.
Of course, it IS a grouping game. Solo players CAN
play, but the game is organized around groups. A
player who groups will level faster, get more drops,
etc. I don't have a problem with that *as long as I
can sign in for an hour or so and still do *something*
when I can't or don't want to LFG.* And there's
more than enough solo content and soloing ability to
do that, at least.

"wade shepard" <wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
>I quit playing eq1 after having played for 2 years:
>
> 1. Because with each expansion my computer became more and more obsolete
> the point of being almost unplayable and I wasn't willing to fork out
> another $1000 for a new one.
>
> 2. The game had become too predictable and repetitious. Eg. find a group,
> camp, wait for mobs, kill mobs, distribute loot, repeat.
>
> 3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>
> 4. Doing anything other than camping gave very few rewards.

After 5 years I have quit a few times for the ALL of the same reasons as you
mention, plus my RL is too busy to log on for more than 1-2 hours LFG for
almost all of it. This time I quit forever (gave away all gear). I have
been giving WoW a try, and so far #1 is no issue on 2 year old system
1024x768 all graphics turned up, #3 is not an issue SO FAR (lvl 18 Druid),
#4 quests give good XP and loot. I think #2 will happen in all games. WoW
actually forces you to do some quests to get "abilities" every now and then,
so that puts you in a story world for a few minutes.

In article <Gioqd.42$NO5.17@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, wade shepard wrote:
> I'm thinking of giving eq2 a try, but some of the things I've read are
> giving me pause. It sounds like there are lots of complaints about getting
> all your hardware configured to be able to have smooth play. (My 'puter is
> 5 years old so I am shopping for a new system)

You can change most settings in-game to adjust between looks and speed, and
there is a handy drop-down list with a range of presets, ranging from best
appearance to best performance. With a 2.4 GHz P4 and GeForce FX 5900XT
with 128 MB of video RAM, on the middle setting most places are OK, but in
some city zones it gets slow, so I just bring up the video options, and drop
it down to one of the more performance-oriented settings.

Give your system details, and someone will probably jump in with a similar
system and tell you what it is like.

> Also I'm wondering if in their effort to eliminate kill stealing, they
> have made the playing enviroment too controlled. Frankly I didn't think
> ksing was that much a problem to begin with. Most of the time the ksing
> was a mistake and not intentional.

It is kind of weird. When playing a Priest class in other games, one of the
enjoyable aspects of that is the drive-by save--finding someone who is going
to lose, and has gone to far to be able to run away, so they are bravely
fighting on, to their seemingly inevitable doom, and then, out of nowhere,
they are healed! Victory is snatched from the jaws of defeat! Yadda yadda
yadda.

WoW is interesting in this respect: if you engage a mob, only you (or your
group) will get the XP for killing it, or loot, but others can still attack
it, or buff you. So, they can't kill steal you, but they can help.

> Is eq2 even more geared toward grouping than eq1? I've heard that they've
> minimized being able to buff someone not in your group. I liked to be able
> give someone buffs in exchange for $ or to help a lower lvl get through
> the zone.

The thing that really stands out about EQ2 at the lower levels is the HUGE
number of quests. At least up to the low teens, you'll typically have 20 to
40 pending quests, most doable solo, and many involving interesting story.

So, even if EQ2 turns out to *require* grouping at high level, if you just
play it through the low levels twice, thinking of it as a single player game
that happens to have other people running around in it--it will be worth it.

--
--Tim Smith

Lance Berg wrote:
> If there's a class that can't solo to 70, I suppose it would be the
> rogue, the only class who's ability to deal decent damage relies on the
> mob facing in the other direction. And even there I have my doubts, as
> I'm not sufficiently conversant with the class to know if they can get
> ahold of a fear and snare kit of some kind.

I soloed a rogue to 51 personally. I have no doubt I could have
continued from that point, but EQ2 intervened. Intimidate works pretty
well and the new hp regen formula makes downtime less than medding
before KEI existed.

Any class can be soloed in EQ1.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <ARpqd.94364$6w6.77361@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
dbgbdwolf@gte.net says...

> First, a low-level that needs help getting through the zone
> shouldn't be there. If you want to help, group with them
> and escort them through. This isn't EQ1 where you needed
> to run through high-level zones to get to another low-level
> hunting zone.

Lol...reminds me of something that happened yesterday.

I recently accepted an invitation to a guild, and some twit in guild
chat wanted to know where to take his 13th level for good xp... so I
suggested Kurns or PC. He had never heard of Kurns and claimed he was
too low for B1&B2.

So... i told him Kurns was in FoB at the north end of the pit, and that
even if he was too low for B1&B2 he could easily get mobs he could take
from the Shar Vahl side, coming in through Shadeweavers.

He seemed to disbeleive me about PC, and wanted to know where FoB was.

I was floored. I told him it was off the PoK via the Cabilis book, and
that once he was in FoB, he would just head north, until he found the
pit, and that the tower was at the north end of the pit.

He asked for an escort to Kurns.

I was floored. Told him he didn't need one, that he couldn't possibly
miss it, and that there were a dozen people in FoB he could ask for
directions if he managed to lose himself (I had just passed through FoB
on the way to Kaesora to get an HS key)

No more chatter... 20 minutes go by, a guild officer logs in, says
hello, and gets invited to a group by some guildies... and then responds
he'll be right there, but first he's got to show xxxxxx where Kurn's is.

I was floored.

Now this is supposedly a 45+ guild, which begs the question of why a
clueless and helpless 13th level newbie was in it... so I asked the guy
who his main was... turns out he has no less than 5 50+ characters. So I
asked him point blank how the hell he didn't know what and where FoB was
with so many 50+ chars.

Claims he always leveled in CB and then PC B1&B2...

I have feeling his 25th-55th levels were also played in maybe 3 zones.

The guild isn't impressing me as a whole so far, but this twit takes the
cake.

I really don't want to be raiding with a guy who needs an escort to
Kurns Tower. Looks like its already time to find another guild.

Chris Anderson wrote:

> Lance Berg wrote:
>
>> If there's a class that can't solo to 70, I suppose it would be the
>> rogue, the only class who's ability to deal decent damage relies on
>> the mob facing in the other direction. And even there I have my
>> doubts, as I'm not sufficiently conversant with the class to know if
>> they can get ahold of a fear and snare kit of some kind.
>

> I soloed a rogue to 51 personally. I have no doubt I could have
> continued from that point, but EQ2 intervened. Intimidate works pretty
> well and the new hp regen formula makes downtime less than medding
> before KEI existed.
Yeah, I was using intimidate at times on my berserker, but I didn't get
nearly as big a boost out of it as a rogue would. Snare though.... no
snare, no stun, has to be pretty annoying to fear kite a full speed mob?

> Any class can be soloed in EQ1.

I have to agree, if a rogue can, any class can; certainly every class I
played could, and the only ones I left out were rogue and paladin. I
was pretty sure paladin would work decently, rogue was my only holdout
for the "its just not worth doing" flag.

Lance

Lance Berg wrote:

> Chris Anderson wrote:
>> I soloed a rogue to 51 personally. I have no doubt I could have
>> continued from that point, but EQ2 intervened. Intimidate works
>> pretty well and the new hp regen formula makes downtime less than
>> medding before KEI existed.
>
> Yeah, I was using intimidate at times on my berserker, but I didn't get
> nearly as big a boost out of it as a rogue would. Snare though.... no
> snare, no stun, has to be pretty annoying to fear kite a full speed mob?

There are snare poisons, as well as weapons that proc snare. I never
really had a problem with it.

In article <ltqqd.5118$2a.274@fe40.usenetserver.com>, Kevin T. Matthews
wrote:
>> Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to 70,
>> though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is you
>> weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.
>>

> A warrior completely losses the ability to solo at about level 20-25.

He didn't no classes couldn't solo to 70--he said "very few", so even if you
were right about warriors, his point is still correct.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith wrote:
> He didn't no classes couldn't solo to 70--he said "very few", so even if you
> were right about warriors, his point is still correct.

Actually, his point is wrong. EQ1 allowed any class to solo, especially
after Luclin came out. You had to be smart about it, and certain
classes had more flexibility in encounter types and less downtime, but
it could be done rather easily.

"wade shepard" <wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
>I quit playing eq1 after having played for 2 years:
>
> 1. Because with each expansion my computer became more and more obsolete
> the point of being almost unplayable and I wasn't willing to fork out
> another $1000 for a new one.
>
> 2. The game had become too predictable and repetitious. Eg. find a group,
> camp, wait for mobs, kill mobs, distribute loot, repeat.
>
> 3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>
> 4. Doing anything other than camping gave very few rewards.
>
> I'm thinking of giving eq2 a try

Why? You want more of the same?
You can solo in WoW.

"Chris Anderson" <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Tim Smith wrote:
> > He didn't no classes couldn't solo to 70--he said "very few", so even if
you
> > were right about warriors, his point is still correct.
>
> Actually, his point is wrong. EQ1 allowed any class to solo, especially
> after Luclin came out. You had to be smart about it, and certain
> classes had more flexibility in encounter types and less downtime, but
> it could be done rather easily.

Soloing is not just winning one battle. Soloing is being able to take a
string of blue fights without unacceptable downtime.

Killing one light blue every 8 - 10 minutes does not qualify.

At 65+, it was most definitely not possible to effectively solo a warrior or a
rogue.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci

Davian wrote:
> "Chris Anderson" <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Soloing is not just winning one battle. Soloing is being able to take a
> string of blue fights without unacceptable downtime.
>
> Killing one light blue every 8 - 10 minutes does not qualify.
>
> At 65+, it was most definitely not possible to effectively solo a warrior or a
> rogue.

I disagree. Again, "effective" is how you define it. I'm perfectly
happy with a 6 minute spawn that I can do every time that it pops, for
instance. There are more than a few encounters like that which a 65+
rogue or warrior can win easily and gain low blue experience.

> I disagree. Again, "effective" is how you define it. I'm perfectly
> happy with a 6 minute spawn that I can do every time that it pops, for
> instance. There are more than a few encounters like that which a 65+
> rogue or warrior can win easily and gain low blue experience.

Feel free to go ahead and name a few.

--

Davian wrote:
> "Chris Anderson" <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>I disagree. Again, "effective" is how you define it. I'm perfectly
>>happy with a 6 minute spawn that I can do every time that it pops, for
>>instance. There are more than a few encounters like that which a 65+
>>rogue or warrior can win easily and gain low blue experience.
>

> Feel free to go ahead and name a few.

Vampires in Tenebrous Mtn coterie castle. 50th level, easy for a
reasonably geared rogue or warrior to solo.

Skels in the Grey. 55th level, easy for a reasonably geared rogue or
warrior to solo.

Elder Animist Dumul in Shar Vahl. 60th level, hits for a max of 75 or
so, easy for a melee to solo.

Want more?

Kevin T. Matthews wrote:

> "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:49:42 -0800, "wade shepard"
>><wshepard@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>>3. Soloing was almost impossible.
>>
>>Depends on your class. Very few classes couldn't solo all the way to
>>70, though some had a harder time of it than others. The drawback is
>>you weren't going to get the uber drops if you never grouped.
>>

> A warrior completely losses the ability to solo at about level 20-25.

Not So. My Iksar Warrior reached 47 soloing and I can easily, albeit
slowly, foresee reaching 51 at his current location, the 3 spawn
Forest Giant camp in FV. With J-Boots, he can "SoW" pull singles and
if trouble occurs, the SoNH zone line is within easy reach. After 51,
there is a 2 spawn Sonic Wolf camp just across the bridge from the
outpost in Grimling Forest and to the right that can take him to 54
very safely. Be prepared for very slow going there however.

On 2004-11-28, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> WoW is interesting in this respect: if you engage a mob, only you (or your
> group) will get the XP for killing it, or loot, but others can still attack
> it, or buff you. So, they can't kill steal you, but they can help.

EQ2 lets you do this, *if they yell for help*. In other words, they have
to *want* your aid, and by doing so they forfeit the XP and loot... they're
stopping powerlevelling as well as griefing. I agree, its a loss of
immersiveness, but if I can get used to the hacks that are lore and no
drop, I guess this is just one more little thing, and its reasonably
elegant - take the risk for the loot, or get the help to survive.

>> Is eq2 even more geared toward grouping than eq1? I've heard that they've
>> minimized being able to buff someone not in your group. I liked to be able
>> give someone buffs in exchange for $ or to help a lower lvl get through
>> the zone.
>
> The thing that really stands out about EQ2 at the lower levels is the HUGE
> number of quests. At least up to the low teens, you'll typically have 20 to
> 40 pending quests, most doable solo, and many involving interesting story.

And more to come, it seems... there are whole levels of skill and spell
trees that are meant to be unlocked by questing, but arent yet in the game
as I understand it.

I suppose you could debate whether they eever will be in the game, of course ;)

Matt

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:55:53 -0500, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>If there's a class that can't solo to 70, I suppose it would be the
>rogue, the only class who's ability to deal decent damage relies on the
>mob facing in the other direction. And even there I have my doubts, as
>I'm not sufficiently conversant with the class to know if they can get
>ahold of a fear and snare kit of some kind.
My Rogue has a dagger that procs Engulfing Darkness (can't recall name
offhand) and Intimidate works reasonably well... most times, heh. The
dagger isn't really as good as a Snare, but with SoW potions or
Journeyman's Boots the chasing is usually no problem. Not a good
soloer, as you say, I have to agree.

Palindrome

> Davian wrote:
> > "Chris Anderson" <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>I disagree. Again, "effective" is how you define it. I'm perfectly
> >>happy with a 6 minute spawn that I can do every time that it pops, for
> >>instance. There are more than a few encounters like that which a 65+
> >>rogue or warrior can win easily and gain low blue experience.
> >

> > Feel free to go ahead and name a few.
>
> Vampires in Tenebrous Mtn coterie castle. 50th level, easy for a
> reasonably geared rogue or warrior to solo.

Green at 70.

> Skels in the Grey. 55th level, easy for a reasonably geared rogue or
> warrior to solo.

Light blue.

> Elder Animist Dumul in Shar Vahl. 60th level, hits for a max of 75 or
> so, easy for a melee to solo.

Does he have faction?

> Want more?

Sure, if you're saying they're out there.

--

Davian wrote:

>>Want more?
>

> Sure, if you're saying they're out there.

They're out there. I gave you a 3 spots that can get you from 60-70.
All easy kills. All you have to do is get out there and look a bit.