Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should i dual boot or use virtualization?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 29, 2010 9:56:13 AM

hey... i got windows 7 32 bit but im going to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit
im in college and some of my classmates say that some programs that we use doesnt run properly on windows 7 64 bit
so what i thought about doing is upgrade to windows 7 64 bit and either dual boot with windows xp 32 bit or should i put it as a virtual machine?
i am more inclined to virtualization though... but i wanted to know if someone in toms has had any problems with virtualization?
i also own a macbook that has windows xp 32 virtualized and my whole laptop goes sluggish...
wandering if i would encounter same problems?
i basically going to use the windows xp 32 bit for programming that doesnt run properly on 64 bit
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2010 10:00:35 AM

Depends what the programs are. If they are graphics intensive (e.g. games) then I wouldn't run them in a VM. But if it's more general programs they should be fine, but it will be slower than a native install.

VMs are more convenient than dual booting, but you'll never get the same performance as with a native install.
Score
September 29, 2010 10:16:15 AM

thanks for the fast reply...
no im not gonna game on the 32 bit...
the windows 7 64 bit will be my main OS
and the windows xp 32 bit will be used as a back up OS for any programs that just dont feel like running on a windows 7 64 bit
these programs will be mostly for programming i expect
a friend of mine said that the programs we use for programming dont run properly on 64 bit
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2010 10:27:53 AM

In that case I'd give virtualization a try first. It's going to be easier, and you can always change to dual boot later if you don't find performance adequate.

I'd recommend VirtualBox for the virtualization; it's free, easy to configure, and most people seem to like it.
September 29, 2010 12:52:33 PM

thanks!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2010 12:52:43 PM

Perhaps update your software? Get with the times?

Everything i use has/had no issues with windows vista and windows 7 - all that 64 bit incompatibility was a load of crap (for the exception for really really really old 16 bit apps etc).
Score
September 29, 2010 12:52:53 PM

Best answer selected by tomate2.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 2:55:35 AM

Just to note:
It's possible w/VirtualBox to run a virtual machine from a real partition on your hard drive. This allows you to dual-boot and virtualize the same OS installation. I do this w/Ubuntu and Win7. It allows me to run Ubuntu virtually when I just want to do light work, but If I need to do something intensive and dedicate all my system resources to Ubuntu, I can reboot into it; it's the same Ubuntu installation no matter which method I use to access it, so all my files and packages are always there. The only inconvenience is that VirtualBox has to be run as an administrator from within Win7. Documentation here.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 6:13:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!