Valve's "Steam" Program constantly kills my Internet.

MetaDragon

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Ok, as we all know, Steam isn't the best software vendor, but it does the job.

I do have a problem, that i can't seem to find an answer to.

When i down load a game, any game from Steam, it periodically cuts my internet connection. Not refreshing server lists, not playing online. Just simply downloading a game. I don't think it's my entire house, but it certainly is my computer. I'm running from a Modem, which is connected to a Router. My comp is attached to the Router, via Ethernet cable.

I actually don't know my Bandwidth cap.

My ISP is Midcontinent. If you aren't from North Dakota, South Dakota, or Minnesota, you may not know who they are.

Anyway, my theory is that they have a big cap on my bandwidth, and steam is going past it. Torrent downloads, and PS3 downloads are also doing the same thing.

In steam my download settings is, Modem 56K. But i still lose internet connection. does anyone else have this problem, and know a fix for it?

I only get like 1.6Mbps as a peak!!

Steam Forums, don't have an answer to save their souls. (Shocking).

Solution
The download is using all of your bandwidth, which is a good thing (more or less). It's not killing your internet, it's using all of it.

As for a fix, I don't see anything in the Steam options. I'd contact Valve customer support, or download when you don't need your internet like most people do.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
The download is using all of your bandwidth, which is a good thing (more or less). It's not killing your internet, it's using all of it.

As for a fix, I don't see anything in the Steam options. I'd contact Valve customer support, or download when you don't need your internet like most people do.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS