When will Asus , Abit, and Epox have SIS 735

JumperJones

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Are these guys going to release these boards soon, I am itching to upgrade and I am not sure when this is going to happen? anytme soon? Is it worth the wait?

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
it depends. I am sick of waiting. don't wait for 735, wait for kt266a or nforce. they have about 13 days till they said these were goin to be out. past that, get ticked and buy one of the $65 sis 735 boards that are already out.

dhlucke

Polypheme
SIS is really missing the boat on this one. I'd love to use the 735, but they aren't releasing any that are overclockable. It's getting ridiculous.

I'm not so sure I want a 266a board. If they couldn't get it right the first time on any board, then why waste my time with VIA? Speed isn't everything and I like the idea of stability.

If you aren't overclocking, get one of the $65 boards. They've got great reviews. That's my 2 cents.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I 1011593% agree with you!!!

I really like the SiS735 chipset, but when is Asus gonna release their A7S266??!!!
Dammit!! I want my 735--forget the KT266A! Speed isn't everything, and I like the idea of stability!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
stability was never a problem with even the KT266 chipset... I have the MSI K7T266 Pro at home and my computer runs weeks at a time... not a single reliability problem... you guys are really too harsh on VIA just because of a few minor bugs here and there. The KT266A is basically the KT266 without its few minor bugs, and enhanced memory controllers... couldn't be better than that IMO!

As soon as those KT266A motherboards come out, I'll replace my KT266 one... but until then, nothing is worth it... ECS? No thanks... they'd give it to me and I still wouldn't be sure if I wanted to run that... SiS has never been good, and this chipset only sells because they basically give them to the manufacturers, which in turn, can sell their motherboards for a few bucks... that doesn't mean it's good. Sure it's a fast chipset, but it's not even proven yet! And anyways, the KT266A is coming out soon and we already know it's better. As for the nForce, who knows.

All that to say that my money is on the KT266A for the fastest, most reliable and overall, BEST chipset for the next few months... I could bet that even the nForce won't be as performant... if it was, don't you think we would've heard about it already? Nvidia just doesn't want us to know how bad it sucks compared to the KT266A... ;)

Shnak

MSI K7T 266 Pro, Kyro2, IBM 75GXP, Samsung 950P, Win2kPro

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I'm not trying to be mean to you or VIA, but I think you should do a little more testing yourself--preferably with a variety of other VIA motherboards, not just the one you have. Try throwing a large towel over you tower, run an intensive benchmark for 3 hours while surfing the net, listen to some MP3s using your SoundBlaster Live, and transfer large files from HDD to HDD. Then check how stable (or unstable) your computer gets--not to mention the CORRUPTED DATA that you will have from transfering large files...say "Good-Bye" to that paper you were about to turn in to your boss that was going to be your ticket to a promotion, or the forever lost video clip of your wedding-day, or maybe your son's thesis paper that would give him a scholarship to Harvard. I don't think that is considered a <i>minor</i> bug.

As for the SiS735 chipset "not being proven" as you claim, maybe you need to do a little more research. Oh, and I suppose that the KT266A is proven since you claim it is already better than anything else.

VIA's northbridge might be worth looking at, but we'll have to see how much of an improvement it's 'new' southbridge will have over the bug-infested 686b southbridge.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
alright, you do have some good points... yes the SBLive has problems with VIA chipsets, but the same can be said about INTEL chipsets! So don't blame that one entirely on VIA. Btw, does the SBLive! work perfectly on the SiS735? I really don't know. Haven't heard about it.

And my computer always has 5-6 differents apps running at the same time and my KT266 motherboard runs perfectly, never crashes. I guess Win2k helps here.

And it is a very good habit to save frequently whatever you're working on. I learned that a few years ago. It is now automatic for me to press Ctrl-S (or whatever the shortcut is to save in your current app) every few words I type.

But since I moved to Windows 2000 (about a year ago), I never get any BSOD or reboots. Well I did have a few, but those were directly related to SBLive and its very poor Win2k drivers.

Yes the SiS735 is really good, and I have a lot of my friends who bought it. And since the KT266 is already an excellent chipset (other than the USB problem at high fsb frequencies and the relatively poor performance), I have all the right to believe that the KT266A will be an excellent chipset. We know it performs exceptionally well already. And for the reliability, based on my experience with the KT266, I believe it'll be excellent.

And btw, the KT266 chipset DOESN'T use the 686b southbridge.

from www.via.com.tw
KT133A chipset:
352 -pin BGA VT82C686B South Bridge
KT266 chipset:
376 -pin BGA VT8233 South Bridge
KT266A chipset:
376 -pin BGA VT8233 South Bridge

sure doesn't look the same to me...

anyways, I don't think it's really worth discussing about this any more unless you have other good points... ;)

Shnak

G

Sounds like you hate VIA, it’s on my board and I have been throwing everything at it for a month. I have had no compatibility problems with the 686B, no data loss, nothing but stability. I surf the net, listen to music, write documents, scan pictures, run seti@home 24/7, run cure for cancer24/7,do the occasional benchmark, I'm a bad multitasker as well, play an occasional game, and run big apps' like AutoCAD all the time.

Well lets just say I know nothing about the 686B bugs, so how about tell me what all those bugs are and have you actually had them on a system of yours?

Why would ya want a towel over the tower, what difference will that make, prolly be quieter. Oh you trying to heat it up, I see, would be better to turn the case fans off wouldn't it?
Just pull the side off the case and use a little blow heater in there lol.

If I had important data I would have it backed up anyway, that’s just plain silly.
Sis does not have a good track record so its understandable some people are a little cautious.

So what exactly is your point in saying all this, had a bad day, or just unnecessarily heating up a system for kicks?

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue>. :wink:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Okay, one last point then I'll stop rambling:

EPOX EP-8KHA
N.Bridge: Apollo KT266 (VT8366)
S.Bridge: VT82C686B

ABIT KG7-Raid
N.Bridge: AMD 760 (761)

ASUS A7M266

Gigabyte GA-7DXR

EPOX EP-8K7A+

THere are dozens more, but these are just the more popular motheboards that uses the crap-o-la VIA 686B southbridge.

Lucky for you, and the other people that owns an MSI K7T266 Pro, the motherboard uses the VT8233 southbridge instead of the 686b.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've heard the SiS735 southbridge is really crap, and has problems with any sound card.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yes, I hate VIA and I am also a rich college student that can afford to burn up dozens of computers. NOT!

<A HREF="http://viahardware.com/686b_1.shtm" target="_new">Here</A> is a link to the SoundBlaster + 686B DATA CORRUPTION bug.
That's just one of the issues, go search the forums, not only the THG community, but other fourms from other sites as well. If you're smart, you'll start to see a trend.

P.S. In the test, VIA totally blames Creative for the Data Corruption, which is B.S.!! BOTH are at fault! (BTW--I also hate Creative's SoundBlasters.)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_e_Mouse on 09/19/01 03:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
the SiS735 doesn't even have a south bridge

Yeah, I know. I was just wondering who would be the first to point that out. Wasn't expecting it to be you.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
LOL!

you can say whatever you want about me, but I do know what I'm talking about.

Shnak

G

Well I dont have a problem here.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue>. :wink: