Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

high speed wireless in the north

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 8:59:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through the
forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or cable
withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up. is there
a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want to send a
signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it is not
open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and they say
700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on with
dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in
advance.
December 24, 2004 8:59:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

up north wrote:
> i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through the
> forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or cable
> withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up. is there
> a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want to send a
> signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it is not
> open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and they say
> 700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on with
> dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in
> advance.

If you have clear line of sight (a "few" trees may kill the deal) then
wireless is the quick/easy/cheap way to go. Any way you can you get
above the trees? A couple of outdoor bridges with panel antennas would
make the distance you mention. Such as:

http://shorterlink.com/?RM2KRQ

The prices listed are retail, they can be found cheaper.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 2:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:59:24 GMT, "up north" <nomail@north.net> wrote:

>i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through the
>forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or cable
>withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up. is there
>a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want to send a
>signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it is not
>open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and they say
>700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on with
>dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in
>advance.

2 miles is possible with good antennas. Do you have line of sight
between endpoints? If no line of sight, forget it. You can go
through a few branches here and there, but anything resembling a
forest is impossible. You will probably need two 24dBi dish antennas
and if you plan to run more than one computah, a pair of radios
capable of transparent bridging (DWL-900AP+, WAP54G, etc).

If you don't have line of sight, it might be possible to install a
midpoint wireless repeater. However, your thruput will be cut in half
and you'll need two additional antennas (can't be done at 2 miles with
an omni).

If you insist on going through the forest, 900MHz goes through much
easier than 2.4Ghz. Finding 900MHz bridges is rough. The access
point and client variety of 900MHz radios (WaveRider, Motorola
Canopy), will not talk between clients, so that's out. I've used a
few point to point 900MHz radios (FreeWave) but not current bridges.
See:
http://www.avalanwireless.com
for a possible pair of radios that might work through the trees.
935kbits/sec thruput. $1000 per pair with antennas. Ouch. If you go
this route, let me know as I also live in a (dense) forest and have
similar problems.




--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 5:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:7noos0dcuk2nb5kbo6t0mea43evin9iqen@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:59:24 GMT, "up north" <nomail@north.net>
wrote:
>
> >i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet
through the
> >forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or
cable
> >withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up.
is there
> >a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want
to send a
> >signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it
is not
> >open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and
they say
> >700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry
on with
> >dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house.
thanks in
> >advance.
>
> 2 miles is possible with good antennas. Do you have line of sight
> between endpoints? If no line of sight, forget it. You can go
> through a few branches here and there, but anything resembling a
> forest is impossible. You will probably need two 24dBi dish
antennas
> and if you plan to run more than one computah, a pair of radios
> capable of transparent bridging (DWL-900AP+, WAP54G, etc).
>
> If you don't have line of sight, it might be possible to install a
> midpoint wireless repeater. However, your thruput will be cut in
half
> and you'll need two additional antennas (can't be done at 2 miles
with
> an omni).
>
> If you insist on going through the forest, 900MHz goes through much
> easier than 2.4Ghz. Finding 900MHz bridges is rough. The access
> point and client variety of 900MHz radios (WaveRider, Motorola
> Canopy), will not talk between clients, so that's out. I've used a
> few point to point 900MHz radios (FreeWave) but not current bridges.
> See:
> http://www.avalanwireless.com
> for a possible pair of radios that might work through the trees.
> 935kbits/sec thruput. $1000 per pair with antennas. Ouch. If you
go
> this route, let me know as I also live in a (dense) forest and have
> similar problems.


Have you considered a satellite? Might be your best option
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 5:16:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:16:22 -0600, "Airhead"
<campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote:

(chop...)

>Have you considered a satellite? Might be your best option

For Canada:
http://hns.getdway.com/var_canada.html
http://www.xplornet.com
Approx $80/month plus hardware and install.
$75 Canada license and $75 "Access Fee".
http://www.lincsat.com/e/1000/1501e.asp
500Kbits/sec (max) down. 50Kbits/sec (max) up.
Slows down after about 170Mbytes downloaded to prevent hogging.
600-1000msec latency.
Needs clear view of the sky to the south.

Also:
http://www.starband.com/findadealer/index.asp
$70/month plus $400-$800 for hardware.
http://www.starband.com/residential/index.asp

I think there's one other consumer grade satellite internet provider
for Canada, but can't seem to find the name.

This is better than a one time $1000 equipment charge?


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 8:12:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

You may want to find wireless equipment not made for the US/Canada
market. I don't think that some countries have to abide by the same
power restrictions that we have here in the USA.
Just a thought.

Also there are some good directional antennas that can be bought and/or
made.
Height is your biggest friend. Every time you double your height, you
double signal strength.

Also you may be able to use an old direct tv or dish network dish and
use that. it's very directional with lots of gain.
Use large low loss coax for your connection between the antenna and your
access point and/or your computer.

Dave


Rôgêr wrote:
> up north wrote:
>
>> i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through
>> the forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or
>> cable withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial
>> up. is there a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can
>> use. i want to send a signal from my friends house to mine, it is
>> sparsley treed but it is not open. can someone give me some ideas. i
>> have read linksys site and they say 700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an
>> office building. i cannot carry on with dial up anymore and the isps
>> are never going to come to my house. thanks in advance.
>
>
> If you have clear line of sight (a "few" trees may kill the deal) then
> wireless is the quick/easy/cheap way to go. Any way you can you get
> above the trees? A couple of outdoor bridges with panel antennas would
> make the distance you mention. Such as:
>
> http://shorterlink.com/?RM2KRQ
>
> The prices listed are retail, they can be found cheaper.
December 24, 2004 8:12:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

tes@test.com wrote:

> You may want to find wireless equipment not made for the US/Canada
> market. I don't think that some countries have to abide by the same
> power restrictions that we have here in the USA.
> Just a thought.

Yes, unbelieveably, some countries are more restrictive than the USA or
Canada. Unless you meant *more* powerful than what is allowed? You'd
advise someone to break the national communications laws and risk
extremely high fines?

> Also there are some good directional antennas that can be bought and/or
> made.
> Height is your biggest friend. Every time you double your height, you
> double signal strength.

Height is good, but "double your height, you double signal strength" is
pure BS.

> Also you may be able to use an old direct tv or dish network dish and
> use that. it's very directional with lots of gain.

You'd have to know how to adapt one, it's not simply a matter of
slapping it up on the side of the house.

> Use large low loss coax for your connection between the antenna and your
> access point and/or your computer.

What kind do you recommend, just any large coax? I'd go with LMR400 for
most purposes, but crimping connectors is problematic for most people
who don't want to invest in more tools, connectors, etc. If the OP
sticks to outside bridges, no coax (and the associated signal loss) is
needed.

> Dave
>
>
> Rôgêr wrote:
>
>> up north wrote:
>>
>>> i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through
>>> the forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or
>>> cable withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial
>>> up. is there a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can
>>> use. i want to send a signal from my friends house to mine, it is
>>> sparsley treed but it is not open. can someone give me some ideas. i
>>> have read linksys site and they say 700 ft open terrain or 500ft in
>>> an office building. i cannot carry on with dial up anymore and the
>>> isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in advance.
>>
>>
>>
>> If you have clear line of sight (a "few" trees may kill the deal) then
>> wireless is the quick/easy/cheap way to go. Any way you can you get
>> above the trees? A couple of outdoor bridges with panel antennas would
>> make the distance you mention. Such as:
>>
>> http://shorterlink.com/?RM2KRQ
>>
>> The prices listed are retail, they can be found cheaper.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 24, 2004 10:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Rôgêr wrote:
> tes@test.com wrote:
>
>> You may want to find wireless equipment not made for the US/Canada
>> market. I don't think that some countries have to abide by the same
>> power restrictions that we have here in the USA.
>> Just a thought.
>
>
> Yes, unbelieveably, some countries are more restrictive than the USA or
> Canada. Unless you meant *more* powerful than what is allowed? You'd
> advise someone to break the national communications laws and risk
> extremely high fines?
>

There are countries that are less restrictive, also.

And Yes, i'm suggesting that somebody can decide for them selves what
equipment they want to use.
In the great white north, does rf get transmitted if no one else can
receive it?

>> Also there are some good directional antennas that can be bought
>> and/or made.
>> Height is your biggest friend. Every time you double your height, you
>> double signal strength.
>
>
> Height is good, but "double your height, you double signal strength" is
> pure BS.
>
If you look at the equations it is true. It also depends if the
antenna's have line of sight to begin with.

>> Also you may be able to use an old direct tv or dish network dish and
>> use that. it's very directional with lots of gain.
>
>
> You'd have to know how to adapt one, it's not simply a matter of
> slapping it up on the side of the house.
>

If you surf the internet there is information about how to do this.

>> Use large low loss coax for your connection between the antenna and
>> your access point and/or your computer.
>
>
> What kind do you recommend, just any large coax? I'd go with LMR400 for
> most purposes, but crimping connectors is problematic for most people
> who don't want to invest in more tools, connectors, etc. If the OP
> sticks to outside bridges, no coax (and the associated signal loss) is
> needed.
>
LMR400 seems like it might be a very good choice.
There is also merit to outside bridges.

At least he is getting lots of suggestions.

>> Dave
>>
>>
>> Rôgêr wrote:
>>
>>> up north wrote:
>>>
>>>> i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through
>>>> the forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or
>>>> cable withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have
>>>> dial up. is there a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i
>>>> can use. i want to send a signal from my friends house to mine, it
>>>> is sparsley treed but it is not open. can someone give me some
>>>> ideas. i have read linksys site and they say 700 ft open terrain or
>>>> 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on with dial up anymore
>>>> and the isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> If you have clear line of sight (a "few" trees may kill the deal)
>>> then wireless is the quick/easy/cheap way to go. Any way you can you
>>> get above the trees? A couple of outdoor bridges with panel antennas
>>> would make the distance you mention. Such as:
>>>
>>> http://shorterlink.com/?RM2KRQ
>>>
>>> The prices listed are retail, they can be found cheaper.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 25, 2004 12:32:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <8LKdnZ6f2NbcxlHcRVn-1A@pghconnect.com>,
Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote:

>
> Height is good, but "double your height, you double signal strength" is
> pure BS.
>

If you're a broadcaster or 2-way operator, with an "omni" antenna, added
height increases your coverage area equivalent to the effect of a power
increase, so in that instance it's not BS. But for the "point to point"
application in this thread, you're right. Height only matters if
adjusting it helps make a clear path between the two antenna sites.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 25, 2004 1:46:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:20:43 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , tes@test.com
wrote:

>And Yes, i'm suggesting that somebody can decide for them selves what
>equipment they want to use.

Actually you're saying they can decide for themselves if the law of the
land applies to them. This generally isn't true!

>In the great white north, does rf get transmitted if no one else can
>receive it?

And if a plane crashes, or a nearby inuit with a pacemaker keels over, then
what?

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 8:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

thanks for all the advice, i have contacted all the sattelite providers and
i am waiting for reply. the line of sight is not an option for me from what
i have read on the equipment dealers sites. thanks again.
"up north" <nomail@north.net> wrote in message
news:0fOyd.550818$Pl.423987@pd7tw1no...
>i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through the
>forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or cable
>withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up. is
>there a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want to
>send a signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it is
>not open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and they
>say 700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on
>with dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house.
>thanks in advance.
>
!