KG7-Raid and 1 GB memory

G

I have a brand-new KG7-Raid (bios v. 4J) with 4 x 256M PC2100 registered ECC, Athlon 1.4GHz 266fsb, SbLive, 3Com 3c509b (FXNM), and a creative GeForce2 (GB0010).

Everything comes up fine as long as I'm using 3 or fewer of my RAM sticks. However, when I try to use all four (for a total of 1GB of RAM), the board thinks I only have 8MB installed! Windows2000 tries to boot, but fails almost
immediately.

I've got the latest bios. Has anyone else run into this problem?

ashley

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
All the ram sticks the same brand?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

G

Yes, they're all the same brand. Also, the order in which I put them in doesn't matter.

G

Try swapping them around to see if one stick is bad, just try them one stick only at a time, as one bad stick can slow all the others. With the four sticks in what does the screen say about the memory size on start up?

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue>. :wink:

G

What brand?
Oh and what voltage setting are you using for the Ram?

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue>. :wink:

G

Try re-seating the Ram's, it worked for me. I have the same board.

G

All four RAM sticks are Micron. They're ECC registered. The voltage setting is 2.65V (the default), but I've tried a range of voltages from the min. to the max. I've re-seated all four, and put them in every conceivable order. No matter what, the system says I have 8 MB when I power on. If I choose any three sticks, it sees the expected 768MB.

Thanks for any help.