Installation and Disk Space

I am very computer-illiterate, so thank you for your patience. My computer
crashed and I reinstalled Windows XP on my D drive instead of my C drive. I
now have insufficient disk space to download new programs, keep things
running smoothly, etc. Is there a way to switch Windows XP to run on my C
drive? Please explain simply and thoroughly! Thank you for your time.
1 answer Last reply
More about installation disk space

    Well, I can offer a few suggestions that might help:

    First is to roll back the registry back to its previous state (or the date
    of the back-up hives):

    To complete part one, follow these steps:
    Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert
    the Windows XP CD-ROM or Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and
    then restart the computer.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from
    the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery
    Console.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation
    that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the
    administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
    At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing
    ENTER after you type each line:

    md tmp

    copy c:\winnt\system32\config\system c:\winnt\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\winnt\system32\config\software c:\winnt\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\winnt\system32\config\sam c:\winnt\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\winnt\system32\config\security c:\winnt\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\winnt\system32\config\default c:\winnt\tmp\default.bak

    delete c:\winnt\system32\config\system
    delete c:\winnt\system32\config\software
    delete c:\winnt\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\winnt\system32\config\security
    delete c:\winnt\system32\config\default

    copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config\system
    copy c:\winnt\repair\software c:\winnt\system32\config\software
    copy c:\winnt\repair\sam c:\winnt\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\winnt\repair\security c:\winnt\system32\config\security
    copy c:\winnt\repair\default c:\winnt\system32\config\default

    Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

    Note: This procedure assumes that Windows is installed to the C:\Winnt
    folder. Make sure to change C:\Winnt to the appropriate windows_folder if
    it is a different location.

    If this allows you to boot up then I suggest that you then go back and one
    by one start putting your registry hives back in use from back-up till you
    find the one that is corrupt.

    I would start with the system then software then doesn't matter where you
    go from there.

    If your system will not boot to your C:\ after replacing the registry with
    back-ups I suggest an in place upgrade. It will not affect any current
    programs just rollback the system files to the install level of the CD.
    You will need to patch your system back up to the current Service Pack and
    Hotfix levels. Below is the link with instructions for an in place upgrade:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];315341

    If the inplace does not get your C:\ O\S to boot I suggest the following:

    Boot to your parallel install d:\.

    First, make a folder in your original install c:\winnt\system32 called
    backups. Now highlight all the FILES in the ROOT of the c:\winnt\system32
    folder and MOVE them to the backup folder. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET
    ALL THE FILES AND FILES ONLY. Now you should have no files at the root of
    your c:\winnt\system32 folder. OK, go to your parallel install
    c:\%sysvol%\system32 and copy all the files from the ROOT of the directory
    to the c:\winnt\system32 folder. Once you are done you can try and reboot
    into the original install and see if it lets you in.

    It may error out asking about a driver if so follow the steps below:

    Boot to your parallel install. From here go to c:\winnt\system32 and
    RENAME the drivers folder to driversold. Next copy the drivers folder from
    c:\%sysvol%\system32 to c:\winnt\system32 and reboot.

    I hope this is clearly presented and easy to follow and helps and have a
    nice day!

    Best Regards,
    Jody Atkins
    Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    from your issue.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

    --------------------
    <SumoWrestler@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: Installation and Disk Space
    | Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:09:08 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    |
    | I am very computer-illiterate, so thank you for your patience. My
    computer
    | crashed and I reinstalled Windows XP on my D drive instead of my C drive.
    | now have insufficient disk space to download new programs, keep things
    | running smoothly, etc. Is there a way to switch Windows XP to run on my C
    | drive? Please explain simply and thoroughly! Thank you for your time.

Computers Disk Space Windows XP