  • Computers
  • Disk Space
  • Windows XP
October 11, 2004 2:09:08 AM

I am very computer-illiterate, so thank you for your patience. My computer
crashed and I reinstalled Windows XP on my D drive instead of my C drive. I
now have insufficient disk space to download new programs, keep things
running smoothly, etc. Is there a way to switch Windows XP to run on my C
drive? Please explain simply and thoroughly! Thank you for your time.

More about : installation disk space

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 1:48:40 AM

Well, I can offer a few suggestions that might help:

First is to roll back the registry back to its previous state (or the date
of the back-up hives):

To complete part one, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert
the Windows XP CD-ROM or Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and
then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from
the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery
Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation
that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the
administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing
ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp

copy c:\winnt\system32\config\system c:\winnt\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\winnt\system32\config\software c:\winnt\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\winnt\system32\config\sam c:\winnt\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\winnt\system32\config\security c:\winnt\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\winnt\system32\config\default c:\winnt\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\winnt\system32\config\system
delete c:\winnt\system32\config\software
delete c:\winnt\system32\config\sam
delete c:\winnt\system32\config\security
delete c:\winnt\system32\config\default

copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config\system
copy c:\winnt\repair\software c:\winnt\system32\config\software
copy c:\winnt\repair\sam c:\winnt\system32\config\sam
copy c:\winnt\repair\security c:\winnt\system32\config\security
copy c:\winnt\repair\default c:\winnt\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Note: This procedure assumes that Windows is installed to the C:\Winnt
folder. Make sure to change C:\Winnt to the appropriate windows_folder if
it is a different location.

If this allows you to boot up then I suggest that you then go back and one
by one start putting your registry hives back in use from back-up till you
find the one that is corrupt.

I would start with the system then software then doesn't matter where you
go from there.

If your system will not boot to your C:\ after replacing the registry with
back-ups I suggest an in place upgrade. It will not affect any current
programs just rollback the system files to the install level of the CD.
You will need to patch your system back up to the current Service Pack and
Hotfix levels. Below is the link with instructions for an in place upgrade:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];315341

If the inplace does not get your C:\ O\S to boot I suggest the following:

Boot to your parallel install d:\.

First, make a folder in your original install c:\winnt\system32 called
backups. Now highlight all the FILES in the ROOT of the c:\winnt\system32
folder and MOVE them to the backup folder. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET
ALL THE FILES AND FILES ONLY. Now you should have no files at the root of
your c:\winnt\system32 folder. OK, go to your parallel install
c:\%sysvol%\system32 and copy all the files from the ROOT of the directory
to the c:\winnt\system32 folder. Once you are done you can try and reboot
into the original install and see if it lets you in.

It may error out asking about a driver if so follow the steps below:

Boot to your parallel install. From here go to c:\winnt\system32 and
RENAME the drivers folder to driversold. Next copy the drivers folder from
c:\%sysvol%\system32 to c:\winnt\system32 and reboot.

I hope this is clearly presented and easy to follow and helps and have a
nice day!

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

<SumoWrestler@discussions.microsoft.com>

!