Sign in with
Your question

SPD message

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2001 8:32:52 PM

Hi, I have just purchased a Savage2000 AGP 64mb Graphics card to replace my old ATI 4mb AGP card but when the PC boots up after reading the drives it says the following:-

warning : SPD not found at DIMM(s) 1 2 3.

My PC's specs are Celeron 400 with 160mb SDram in the 3 slots running windows ME the bios is an Award Modular Bios v4.51pg / Bios ID12/17/1998-i440BX-SMC60X-2A69KB0EC-00 / the chipset is Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 all according to a program called the Unicore Bios Wizard version 1.5 from the Award website.

Could someone please tell me if there is either a patch or a way to make the card work properly and what does SPD mean please?

Thanks.

Keith

More about : spd message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2001 8:18:56 PM

Thank you revroy tried the link but I am running windows me not 95/98 which it needs to do the program and I do not know anyone with windows 95/98 near me so could not use the dimm checker. Have thought I might try and get a new motherboard to see if it is a problem there as my old card works fine just not the new one. Could you suggest a decent board at all?

cheers

Keith
Related resources
September 21, 2001 7:15:12 AM

SPD or "Serial Presence Detect" errors are usually caused by conflicts in RAM timing or conflicting settings in the BIOS. If you don't use SPD RAM (sticks with the SPD module on them) and have enabled SPD detect in your BIOS, you will get this error. Your best bet is to change your BIOS settings to reflect the frequency and clock settings of your RAM manually rather than using SPD. This should eliminate the problem. Remember that it is critical that each RAM module be the same clock speed, CAS rating and the chips should all have the same speed (ie.. all ending with the same numbers) If one module differs from another, you will also get SPD errors and have a much higher chance of data corruption and unpredictable crashing.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
September 21, 2001 7:15:48 AM

why on earth would one use Windows Millenium Edition????

Anyway, you could use the <A HREF="http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml" target="_new">ctspd</A> utility.

And do consider reverting to Windows 98SE, with Mediaplayer 7.1, its more than Windows ME! lets you have more control over your system.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
September 21, 2001 7:29:10 AM

Steve is right.

SPD (Serial Presence Detect) is a EEPROM chip that holds the details about the memory module.

do you see a tiny chip (anout 3x4 mm) on the right hand upper corner of the memory module? if it is, the DIMMs do have the SPD chip.

if they dont, you will have to manually configure the memory timings. get into the BIOS setup and set all the timings to manual, with slowest parameters (higher values), that usually appear in "Chipset Setup" section of the BIOS.

if it does have a SPD, then probably it is corrupt. you could either reprogram it, or bypass it altogether as above.

you will need to set conservative timings to start with, and increase step by step to reach the optimum.

you could also look for the chip numberding data from the manufacturer to get the exact parameters.

girish

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2001 10:18:11 PM

Thank you for all your help and advice.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2001 10:21:34 PM

Thanks girish for the link to the site to try the ctspd utility only problem being that I do not speak or read German. And with regard to Windows ME it was on the system when it came I had no choice but to use it.
September 22, 2001 9:05:42 AM

i dont read german either. i just downloaded the utility and installed it and tested the memory. it is in english.
did you try it out?

and do consider switching to Win98SE or better.

girish

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2001 1:56:28 PM

I have now downloaded the program and run it but I have no real idea of what to do next sorry it says there are the 3 dimms in the pc and what mb they are. Only one says error in the SPD-EEPROM part should I remove this one and try it without it? the other 2 dimms give manufacturer names and an SPD version of Intel SPD 1.2.

Sorry I am such a novice but we must all start somewhere.

Keith
September 22, 2001 2:57:04 PM

I dont know a lot about your particular card, but I would certainly remove the suspect ram stick and see how you get on from there, my bet is that all will be well.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2001 12:55:01 PM

Took out the ram stick and still getting the message but at dimm(s) 1 2 now not at all three.

Begining to think that it might be a problem with either the motherboard or the graphics card.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Keith
September 23, 2001 2:08:03 PM

well, are you having real problems running your system? or is you display not working due to this SPD error? actually it does not have any connection with diaplay as such.

you might try removing the erring DIMM. I guess you have 64+64+32 DIMMs and the 32 MB one is bad, right? simply remove it and use it somewhere else on some alienware which wont be so picky about SPDs.

anyway, its good to have memory in powers of 2, 128 MB would do fine for you. 128 and 10 MB wont make much difference.

and if the machine is running fine and its just the warning bugging you, just ignore it. that might be the better option.

girish

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2001 6:31:10 AM

Hi girish,

I am only having problems when I install the new graphic card if I use my old 4meg AGP there are no problems whatsoever. Only with the new 64Meg AGP card.

I have removed the 32MB Dimm and tried rebooting but it still says the same message but at Dimm's 1&2 now.

I have tried everything but with no success at all. Only things I can think is try a new Motherboard if that does not work then use the trusty hammer I think.

Keith
September 24, 2001 7:24:33 AM

i wonder what has system memory to do with a display card or memory on it.

apparently the display card is using some memory or I/O space that is also used by the port on the motherboard through which the system reads the SPD ROMs.

try changing the display card resources in
My Computer
->Properties
->Device Manager
->Display
->Your display card
->Resources

try changing the Memory and Input/Output ranges. if it doesnt work, set PnP OS option in BIOS to No and let Windows manage the PnP data. this might work.

girish

September 24, 2001 7:36:39 AM

change one parameter at a time, you will need to reboot every time, but thats the way windows works!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2001 7:46:44 AM

Hi girish,

Tried the Bios PnP option with no joy.

As to changing the display card parameters I would if I could get into windows with that card in can only get into windows with that card in safe mode.

I really appreciate all the advice you have given me. It's a shame the problem has not been resolved.

Thank you.

Keith.
September 25, 2001 8:58:02 AM

well i doubt you could do that in ME, ME does not offer <i><b>and sort of control</b></i> for the user.
No DOS mode
No format/s
and a lots of other unwanted "features" and ,issing wanted "priviledges" - a real amateur's system.

now you could switch to Windows 98SE, by far the best version of Windows (although it has its quirks and shortcomings), it could better manage the things on the board.

where is the error occuring? on the DIMM slots or DIMMs themselves? try shuffling the DIMMs on the slots and watch what gives out the errors - if it errs on the same slot with different DIMMs it could be the slot problem with Windows allocation of address range. if a particular DIMM gives an error (even when its slot is changed) you have a DIMM thats, strange, not working along with you display card!!!

if you could get a spare hard disk, just try installing Windows 98SE onto it keeping you Win ME disk intact.

in fact, if you reinstall Win ME on you hard disk chances are your problem would be sloved.

girish

September 25, 2001 8:59:27 PM

What make and model Motherboard is this? Does it support AGP4X? That may be your problem. It certainly sounds like:

a) BIOS Version issue OR
b) Lack of support for AGP4x

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2001 7:47:03 AM

Hi girish,

I have tried to switch the dimms into different slots and reboot each time. I have been trying 1 dimm at a time but I get the same message which ever dimm or slot I use.

I am going to try reinstalling windows me this weekend so want be able to give you any comments until then sorry.

Thank you.

Keith
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2001 7:55:54 AM

Hi stable,

I have looked all over the motherboard but I can not find a manufactures name anywhere.

I went onto the Intel webstite as there is a chip on the mb with intel and some numbers on it.

They stated that if it said 2 particular bios names then it was theirs if not goto the website of the name it does say as they do make boards for others.

I went onto the Award website and downloaded a program called the "Bios Agent from esupport.com" it ran a check on my Bios and came up with these:-

Bios ID:- 2A69KB0EC
Bios Date:- 12/17/98
Bios Signon:- 12/17/1998-i440BX-SMC60X-2A69KB0EC-00
Bios Type:- Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Super I/O:- SMC 60x rev 0 found at port 3F0h
Chipset:- Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
OEM Signon:- TBA1217B

Hope this makes some sense to you as it is all gibberish to me I am afraid.

Thank you.

Keith
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2001 6:10:51 PM

KWR,
I think Stable is on the right track here.. I bet ya your board isn't AGP4x compatable.. I had a somewhat similar experience with a 440bx/zx board. I would definately try and get some specs on your motherboard and check this.. It may even say what type agp you have next to the agp slot. Mine was not AGP4x compatable so what I did was went out and got a Voodoo 3000 PCI card. Another thing to note is that you are kind of in the same boat im in. I have a P2 400mhz. With my Voodoo card my cpu is still the limiting factor in gaming, not my video card. I dont think you would see any performance gains from the new AGP card over what you would get with the Voodoo card..

I hope this helps and good luck,
Exmark

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by exmark on 09/26/01 02:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 26, 2001 8:50:00 PM

Hi again

I believe this is a BIOSTAR motherboard. I have contacted BIOSTAR and provided your BIOS information and asked them to identify the exact model number (since that's all the information I have).

You should feel free to explore the BIOSTAR web site and see if you can find any pictures that match up to your system board.

I should have word back from them in a day or so either way.

If you want to explore in the meantime, you can check them out at: http://www.biostar-usa.com.

Suspect Models Are: M6TZF, M6TZA, M6TLI, M6TLG, M6TLC, M6TLA, M6TEA, M6TBC and M6TBA.

It would really help me if you visit:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/museum/Museum_Index.htm
and then go through EACH of the above listed motherboards until you find the one that looks EXACTLY like your motherboard.

Once you have done that, you should check the specifications and I suggest IMMEDIATELY downloading the owners manual (while you can still get it).

I don't recommend attempting to apply ANY updated BIOS until AFTER you have identified which board it is to us here. This way we can check our workbench notes to make sure there aren't any issues with the new BIOS BEFORE you attempt to flash it. Trust me, it's better for you this way.

As for drivers, if you come across any (after identifying your board) that aren't up to date, by all means, download and install them.

Thanks
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
September 27, 2001 5:10:56 AM

Okay! I got a telephone call from BIOSTAR and your model is a slot 1, M6TBA. They claim that you can confirm this on the surface of the motherboard.

So, let's assume that they are correct.
First, let's have you download the manual from the Taiwan web site at:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/manual/archives.php3

You should also check your BIOS revision against BOTH the United States web site and the Taiwan web sites!

As a FYI, this board does NOT support AGP4x, so your issue is now identified.

Sorry!
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2001 10:30:37 AM

Hi Stable

Firstly sorry for not seeing your message yesterday as I was unable to get on the web as I had server problems here in the UK.

I have got the manual of the website thanks and looking at some of the diagrams it looks like mine. I will take the case off after I have written this email to make sure.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I am forever in your debt for this.

I will definately have to see about getting a new Motherboard now. Could you possibly recommend one for me please as you know a hell of a lot about them and I know nothing except what I have learnt from trying to rectify this issue.

Again thanks for being patient and helpfull.

Keith
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2001 10:32:29 AM

Thank you exmark.

You are right that stable is on the right track and I appriciate your help and advice.

Keith
September 27, 2001 11:13:33 AM

Glad to help. But if you like how your system runs, you may want to simply exchange your AGP video card for one of the PCI Based Voodoo cards (if you have an open PCI slot!).

As mentioned above by Exmark, the Voodoo series are excellent for 440BX-based motherboards. Very fast and well designed, they will give you similar performance to AGP.

If you prefer to go the new motherboard route, please advise on what your primary uses will be for the system and list any/all of the components that are in THIS system that you wish to move into the new configuration.

It's really hard to recommend a good SLOT 1 motherboard with AGP4x as it usually means going away from an Intel Chipset due to calamity of the 820 MTH issues during the time that these systems were in their heyday.

Next, if you can give up the Slot 1 design, you're faced with the issues that the Pentium III has been discontinued and while there are a good amount of Socket 370 CPU's in the distribution channel, you still need to be aware that this is an end of life product.

Now you have to deal with the same issues that everyone else in the new market deals with. To P4 or Not P4? That is the question! It really all boils down to what you want and what you need.

If cost is an issue, I would take a hard look at some of the Intel I815E and I815EP chipset based boards. While they have a memory limitation of 512MB, they are good performers and now very reasonably priced, even with a new Socket 370 Pentium III.

Finally, you can ALWAYS give any of the many AMD designs a look. They perform well and are much more stable than when you purchased this systemboard. Once I have an idea about your needs and desires, we can explore this issue further. I'm sure many other users here would love to give you advise on this subject as well.

Couple of little issues.

1) Examine your power supply carefully. This MAY need to be changed if your change motherboards! I downloaded your owners manual so I know that it is an ATX design, but I have no idea what SIZE it is (watts wise).

2) You have an ATX case, so you are at least lucky there in that you don't have to replace it, BUT if you go with a new motherboard, you will be forced to replace your RAM.

In other words, you may be looking at more issues than just changing out the motherboard. It MAY be prudent (depending on your needs and depth of your wallet) to look at the Voodoo card as a viable substitute for these reasons as well.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2001 8:49:44 AM

Hi Stable,

My power supply is 200watt. I know I will need to upgrade this as well to something like a 300watt.

I mainly use my machine for gaming purposes but my wife also likes to use it for surfing the web and her digital photo's.

I'm afraid my purse strings are a little tight now until next year. So I will manage with what I have got until then when I will definately be going for new board & CPU around 1.2Ghz plus at least 256mb Ram. I think the sound card I have is not too bad it's a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128. Or do you think I should change this too?.

Again many thanks for your help and if you would not mind could I ask your advice again just before I buy the new parts please.

Keith
!