Telicus

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I have decided to put my money into a p4 chip and I decided on the p4t or p4b from asus im going to buy the damn rd ram 256 stick should I put my money in this and should I get the p4b with my current sdram I know I herd it is bad to build a p4 with sd ram but I dont realy know why or should I just go p4t and get 256 800? thanks

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
frankly speaking, i would go for none of them right now!

P4T uses RDRAM while P4B uses SDRAM. We need DDR.

Anyway, the fact that RDRAM is cheap now, P4 has fallen it might be worth going for P4T, but certainly not P4B. I might go for P4B-E with i845D with DDR next year.

64MBx4 is the best solution altough you could save a bit with 128MBx2 is also a good solution.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

is it possible to have 64x2 & 128x2 RAMBUS at once on a P4T ??

i'm asking because all i can get right now is 64x2, and i'd like to know if i could later on add 128x2

oh, i could get 64x4 but then there would be no room left to upgrade ...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, you might be able to put them so. older Pentium boards needed SIMMs to be put in pairs, so do these P4 RDRAM boards.

on ordinary systems, have some peculiar observations with non-standard RAM sizes (amount in MB other than powers of 2, ie not 64/128/256/512 MB) regarding performance, seen somewhat degraded performance, say 64 MB actually performs a wee-bit better than 72/80/96 MB! and that was agreed to by a few of my collegues at the college - what do you guys say?)

I guess P4 chipsets might support such a mix, but you might not gain much performance you would expect. after all, you put more memory to get more performance.

so right now 64x2 is okay, later on you could either add 64x2 or replace with 128x2 or 128x4!

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
RDRAM is dual channel, so each channel must have similar RIMMS.

here is what Intel says:

A, B, C and D are markings on the motherboard.
[maroon]RIMM A = RIMM-2 (Channel A)
RIMM B = RIMM-1 (Channel A)
RIMM C = RIMM-4 (Channel B)
RIMM D = RIMM-3 (Channel B)

RIMMs must be installed in pairs, and the memory configuration of each channel MUST match. Thus, RIMM-1 and RIMM-3 must be the same size, density, type and speed. RIMM-2 and RIMM-4 must also be the same size, density, type and speed. Using the encoded part numbers on the RIMMs is the best way to determine if the parts are the same.

When using only two RIMMs, you must install a Continuity Rambus Inline Memory Module (CRIMM) in those slots that do not contain RIMMs. In order to optimize memory performance, you must first populate RIMM-1 and RIMM-3.[/maroon]

you will find the channel details in the manuals of respective motherboards.

girish