BIOS Flash Failure

G

The bios flash process i performed failed due to diskette problem. Now, i can not even make my computer start from Drive A. Any solution other than to change a new M/B?? Pls help ......

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
You could try and get a price of a new BIOS chip from your local retailer. Just make sure that he knows what board you need it for, brand, model etc.

Good Luck.

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
My friend you have a case of BIOS Boot Block. Do this:

You will need a recovery disk for your BIOS. In most cases, a recovery disk is made before the flash process is started. If you don't have this disk you can you may find one by your BIOS maker <A HREF="http://www.firmware.com/support/recovery" target="_new">here</A>. Now I am typing these instruction straight from a book I have, so here you go:

1. Turn off and unplug the system.

2. Move the "boot block" jumper to the enable position. You may also need to set the flash chip's "write-protect" jumper.

3. Insert the recovery disk. If you did not create a recovery disk when you tried flashing the BIOS, check for a recovery "image file" from the BIOS maker.

4. Turn on the system.

5. After a few seconds, the floppy drive's light will come on.

6. About 20 or 30 seconds later, the speaker will beep once to indicate that the flash process has started.

7. The disk access light will remain on, but there will be nothing on the display.

8. After another 45 to 60 seconds, the speaker will beep twice to indicate that the process has finished. The floppy disk drive light may remain on.

9. Turn the system off and remove the disk.

10. Reset the system's "boot block" jumper (and flash chip's "write-protect" jumper if neccessary).

11. Turn on the system and enter the CMOS Setup to restore the system's configuration.

Good Luck.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Click <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/faqbios.html#I flashed my BIOS and now the machine is dead. What can I do?" target="_new">here</A> to learn how to manually create a recovery disk. (Link is doing a search and may be slow).

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

Whoa whats that? Looks a little nasty..

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Whoa whats that? Looks a little nasty..
What's what?

If you are talking about the recovery procedure I only learned of it a couple months ago, myself.

Apparently for some time now, BIOSes protect the BIOS boot block. This means a system can still boot from a floppy and display output even if a BIOS flash has failed. The problem is for video you need a PCI or ISA video card. Alternatively, you can use a recovery disk that boots DOS, loads the flash program, and flashes the BIOS without user intervention. You don't need video if you have a proper recovery disk.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 09/20/01 08:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS