Epox pci latency clock?

G

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what this PCI latency timer clock setting is all about?
I updated the Bios for an Epox 8K7A+
<font color=blue>8k7a1824.exe update.
Fixed boot up issue with Adaptec 29160 SCSI and HPT370.
Modified K7 desktop CPU string for CPUID 66x.
Pheonix support.</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Added PCI Latency Timer selection to BIOS</font color=red>
------------------------
Then a new item appeared "PCI Latency timer Clock(CLK)" under PnP/PCI Configurations heading in Bios.
The range of this setting is from 0- 255 in increments of 1, and is on 32 at present.(Also the max' Bios setting available for the fsb has now changed from 166 to 250)
The only idea I have for this, it maybe controlling the PCI bus speed but I am unsure about it. Could be something important that I don’t want to miss out on, and it looks very promising.. =o)

Appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
I think this sets the PCI bus speed(32) seperate from the fsb speed adjustments .

Dont know alot about it. Someone else will know more for certain.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Here is a brief <A HREF="http://www.reric.net/linux/pci_latency.html" target="_new">article</A> of eplaination.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

Thank you for that link.

Very informative, and I still need to learn some more on this.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Here is another <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml" target="_new">link</A> that is less detailed and more specific. It actually speaks at the BIOS settings in general. click on the link down toward the bottom under, OTHER SETTINGS "PCI-Latency Timer". Glad to be of help.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

Its hard getting people to explain things like this.

Thanks again, terrific.