bigger hard drive

Hi,
I have a HP pavilion a219.uk which came with a 40 Gb hard drive.
I do a lot of digital imaging so I fitted a second hard drive as slave to
store my pictures on.
I would like to put a 160 Gb as my primary drive but not sure how to do it.
If I fit this new drive and copy the OS to it, will it also copy the
partition drive D which contains all the program restoration.
Also, will this machine take a 160 Gb.
Running XP home edtn with SP2. Intel 2.2HHz. 528 mb memory.
Thanks for any help.
Jim
3 answers Last reply
More about bigger hard drive

    "Jim" <oldman@invalid.not> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a HP pavilion a219.uk which came with a 40 Gb hard drive.
    > I do a lot of digital imaging so I fitted a second hard drive as slave to
    > store my pictures on.
    > I would like to put a 160 Gb as my primary drive but not sure how to do
    > it.
    > If I fit this new drive and copy the OS to it, will it also copy the
    > partition drive D which contains all the program restoration.
    > Also, will this machine take a 160 Gb.
    > Running XP home edtn with SP2. Intel 2.2HHz. 528 mb memory.
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Jim
    >Sorry, that should read Intel 2.2GHz

    "if I fit this new drive and copy the OS to it, will it also
    copy the
    > partition drive D which contains all the program restoration."

    No; to do that you will need to create two partitions on the new
    drive and copy the drive D stuff to the new drive d.
    Alternatively just use the old drive as drive d & e and only
    copy the old drive C stuff to the new drive c. If you do this
    drive E will be your old drive d with the HP stuff on it so you
    will have a new drive C with 160 g. I suggest this would be the
    best way to go.

    --
    Regards
    Blue

    Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

    "aussieblu" <zaussiblu@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > "if I fit this new drive and copy the OS to it, will it also
    > copy the
    >> partition drive D which contains all the program restoration."
    >

    > No; to do that you will need to create two partitions on the new
    > drive and copy the drive D stuff to the new drive d.
    > Alternatively just use the old drive as drive d & e and only
    > copy the old drive C stuff to the new drive c. If you do this
    > drive E will be your old drive d with the HP stuff on it so you
    > will have a new drive C with 160 g. I suggest this would be the
    > best way to go.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Blue
    >
    > Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

    Thanks Blue for that info. I think I will follow your first suggestion.
    Kind regards.
    Jim.

Hewlett Packard Hard Drives Computers