dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

After installing SP2 on XP pro the overall system has
slowed dowm dramatically...how can I get it back up to
the speed prior to SP2??

Tks.

Please try some basics ...

Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm

Check for errors and defragment hard drive:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsharddrive.htm

Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

Good Luck!
---
How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

"Dennis" wrote:

> After installing SP2 on XP pro the overall system has
> slowed dowm dramatically...how can I get it back up to
> the speed prior to SP2??
>
> Tks.

Did you defragment after installing SP 2?

Ted Zieglar

"Dennis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing SP2 on XP pro the overall system has
> slowed dowm dramatically...how can I get it back up to
> the speed prior to SP2??
>
> Tks.

That's ridiculous advice...here's why:

TIF, cookies and temporary files have no impact on a computer's speed,
unless the hard disk is almost completely full. If that were true, the OP
would have the same problem before installing SP 2, and probably would not
have been able to install the service pack (which checks for available disk
space before installing.)

Installing SP 2 does not cause disk errors, nor does the installation add
items to startup that would cause the system to slow.

This and other inane advice contained in the fixyourwindows.com web site
make it at best a waste of time and at worst detrimental to a Windows PC.

Ted Zieglar

"r" <r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please try some basics ...
>
> Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm
>
> Check for errors and defragment hard drive:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsharddrive.htm
>
> Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm
>
> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
>
> Good Luck!
> ---
> How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm
>

> "Dennis" wrote:
>
>> After installing SP2 on XP pro the overall system has
>> slowed dowm dramatically...how can I get it back up to
>> the speed prior to SP2??
>>
>> Tks.

How much memory is left on the drive that holds your operating system? Do
you have System Restore on? If you were close to full before installing SP2
you might be even closer now. The reason being that System Restore might
have created a huge log file before installing SP2 that might now be taking
up a good deal of your available memory. This is one possible cause.

--
Thayn Moore
Software Design Engineer - Test