Single Rate - National Access

Last response: in Network Providers
December 2, 2004 5:26:43 PM

VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included in
the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as an
optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.

--
Thanks

Traveling
December 2, 2004 5:26:44 PM

My first reaction was to reply "it is". I had Single Rate until recently.
However, consider the various features offered by "National Access"... I
would have to ask.. what do you mean? Specifically, what do you want to be
able to do?

FWIW, unlimited off-peak/INnetwork and weekends do NOT apply to Single Rate.

-Frank

"Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included in
> the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as an
> optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling

December 2, 2004 5:26:44 PM

Traveling.... you've posted a few times about your intent to sign up for the
Single Rate Plan. I had the Single Rate plan for a long time (8 years?).
I'm out West... Denver, CO. I recently switched to the standard Americas
Choice plan and I'm very happy with the changes.

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you want Single Rate. I am just curious
I guess. I had most of the arguments "for" SR myself. But most of the
rational has disappeared, for most areas, over the last 6-8 years.

Are you SURE that's what you want?

-Frank

"Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included in
> the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as an
> optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling

December 2, 2004 5:26:45 PM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:45:14 -0700, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>FWIW, unlimited off-peak/INnetwork and weekends do NOT apply to Single Rate.

If that is important to you, and if you are in an Alltel area, while
not unlimited, 1000 of OP and 1000 of M2M are in their Total Freedom
plan. Where I am, Alltel is better than Verizon (picky little areas
where Alltel works and I do too).

George
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:33:53 PM

It's my understanding the Single Rate Plan "never" has additional
charges for long distance or roaming, no matter where we are. We
fulltime RV and have been told that with America's Choice, charges for
roaming and long distance are possible.

Additionally, I want a phone that can connect to my regular ISP for
email downloads, however slow.

--
Thanks

Traveling

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> My first reaction was to reply "it is". I had Single Rate until
> recently. However, consider the various features offered by "National
> Access"... I would have to ask.. what do you mean? Specifically, what
> do you want to be able to do?
>
> FWIW, unlimited off-peak/INnetwork and weekends do NOT apply to Single
> Rate.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included
>> in
>> the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as
>> an
>> optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks
>>
>> Traveling

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 8:32:53 PM

"on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message

> Additionally, I want a phone that can connect to my regular ISP for email
> downloads, however slow.

Most ISP have a setting you can use to access your email from any provider,
including Verizon. I never dial into my ISP when using wireless. I have an
old NSR plan

Tom J
December 2, 2004 11:48:07 PM

You can use AC plan to dial into your regular ISP. I do it all the time.
No difference from AC and SR on that.

As far as roaming... you are right. However, you have to weigh any
"possible" roaming charges against what you'll save on free off-peak,
INNetwork and weekends. Remember, even on AC, there are no long distance
and roaming charges within Verizon's covered spaces (they call it the "home
area" - even though the "home area" stretches across the whole damn US!
) ). Turns out that is one hellofalot of space.

I live in Colorado. The West is not as good coverage as the East. Anyway,
even considering that, with AC, I can virtually always make long distance
and roaming without charge. Even on my frequent 1000-2000 mile Gold Wing
Motorcycle trips! Since I get all that free night, INNetwork and weekend
stuff, I have PLENTY of minutes on my plan for my peak stuff.

When I had Single Rate, I would OFTEN run over the minutes... because I DID
NOT get the free night, INNetwork and weekend minutes.

Bottom line for me... running over the allotted minutes costs WAY MORE than
a very occasional roaming charge.

Something to think about.

AC is better for me. And I held on to Single Rate for a bunch of years
before I realized that.

Now I can affort a plan with DOUBLE the minutes of my old Single Rate plan,
at $5/mo less cost. And... on top of that, the double minutes go three or
four times as far due to the free times!

-Frank

"on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message
> It's my understanding the Single Rate Plan "never" has additional charges
> for long distance or roaming, no matter where we are. We fulltime RV and
> have been told that with America's Choice, charges for roaming and long
> distance are possible.
>
> Additionally, I want a phone that can connect to my regular ISP for email
> downloads, however slow.
>

> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling
>

> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> My first reaction was to reply "it is". I had Single Rate until
>> recently. However, consider the various features offered by "National
>> Access"... I would have to ask.. what do you mean? Specifically, what do
>> you want to be able to do?
>>
>> FWIW, unlimited off-peak/INnetwork and weekends do NOT apply to Single
>> Rate.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>> VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included in
>>> the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as an
>>> optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Traveling

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:19:17 AM

I'm not the original poster, but since this topic hits close to home,
I thought I'd share some thoughts. The Single Rate plan is very useful
to someone who works/travels/vacations in analog-only areas and uses
the cell as their primary phone when in those areas. When used in this
manner the roaming charges can be significant. I don't use a cell much
in daily life here in Colorado, but when traveling and on vacation,
especially when the cell becomes our cabin phone in eastern Upper
Michigan, it's indispensible. Perhaps over time digital service will
fill in the gaps and make analog networks unnecessary, but as long as
roaming on analog is required, it's nice to have plans that make it
cost effective to do so.
"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message news:<vPCdnXEQupGPpjLcRVn-pg@giganews.com>...
> Traveling.... you've posted a few times about your intent to sign up for the
> Single Rate Plan. I had the Single Rate plan for a long time (8 years?).
> I'm out West... Denver, CO. I recently switched to the standard Americas
> Choice plan and I'm very happy with the changes.
>
> Perhaps you could elaborate on why you want Single Rate. I am just curious
> I guess. I had most of the arguments "for" SR myself. But most of the
> rational has disappeared, for most areas, over the last 6-8 years.
>
> Are you SURE that's what you want?
>
> -Frank
>
> "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > VZW website is not clear as whether or not NationalAccess is included in
> > the Single Rate Plan when you select a phone with NationalAccess as an
> > optional feature. Does anyone know if it's included free.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks
> >
> > Traveling

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 6:21:18 PM

I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess
MOU with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the
same answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.

Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.

I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.

--

> You can use AC plan to dial into your regular ISP. I do it all the
> time. No difference from AC and SR on that.
>
> As far as roaming... you are right. However, you have to weigh any
> "possible" roaming charges against what you'll save on free off-peak,
> INNetwork and weekends. Remember, even on AC, there are no long
> distance and roaming charges within Verizon's covered spaces (they
> call it the "home area" - even though the "home area" stretches across
> the whole damn US! ) ). Turns out that is one hellofalot of space.
>
> I live in Colorado. The West is not as good coverage as the East.
> Anyway, even considering that, with AC, I can virtually always make
> long distance and roaming without charge. Even on my frequent
> 1000-2000 mile Gold Wing Motorcycle trips! Since I get all that free
> night, INNetwork and weekend stuff, I have PLENTY of minutes on my
> plan for my peak stuff.
>
> When I had Single Rate, I would OFTEN run over the minutes... because
> I DID NOT get the free night, INNetwork and weekend minutes.
>
> Bottom line for me... running over the allotted minutes costs WAY MORE
> than a very occasional roaming charge.
>
> Something to think about.
>
> AC is better for me. And I held on to Single Rate for a bunch of
> years before I realized that.
>
> Now I can affort a plan with DOUBLE the minutes of my old Single Rate
> plan, at $5/mo less cost. And... on top of that, the double minutes
> go three or four times as far due to the free times!
>
> -Frank
>
> "on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message
>> It's my understanding the Single Rate Plan "never" has additional
>> charges for long distance or roaming, no matter where we are. We
>> fulltime RV and have been told that with America's Choice, charges
>> for roaming and long distance are possible.
>>
>> Additionally, I want a phone that can connect to my regular ISP for
>> email downloads, however slow.
>>

>> --
>> Thanks
>>
>> Traveling
>>

>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> My first reaction was to reply "it is". I had Single Rate until
>>> recently. However, consider the various features offered by
>>> "National Access"... I would have to ask.. what do you mean?
>>> Specifically, what do you want to be able to do?
>>>
>>> FWIW, unlimited off-peak/INnetwork and weekends do NOT apply to
>>> Single Rate.
>>>
>>> -Frank
>>>
>>> "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D CFrd.82057$7i4.41974@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:00:20 PM

"DaleP" <suntiger@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm not the original poster, but since this topic hits close to home,
> I thought I'd share some thoughts. The Single Rate plan is very useful
> to someone who works/travels/vacations in analog-only areas and uses
> the cell as their primary phone when in those areas. When used in this
> manner the roaming charges can be significant. I don't use a cell much
> in daily life here in Colorado, but when traveling and on vacation,
> especially when the cell becomes our cabin phone in eastern Upper
> Michigan, it's indispensible. Perhaps over time digital service will
> fill in the gaps and make analog networks unnecessary, but as long as
> roaming on analog is required, it's nice to have plans that make it
> cost effective to do so.

Dale, you hit it right on to describing why many of us stay on those old NSR
plans. Just as you, I am off the interstates sometime weeks at the time, thus
on analog, and would be paying roaming. Some mentioned getting the request
for a credit card. I've gotten that 4 times in 4 years and a call to Verizon
got the service turned on in that area (for my phone at least) within 4 to 5
minutes. Ain't gonna happen with America's Choice or the other digital
plans!! I'll stay with the old plan until I stop traveling all over North
America.

Tom J
December 3, 2004 8:13:25 PM

I have MOU on my AC plan.

-Frank

"on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message
news:o v%rd.85711$7i4.7152@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess MOU
>with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the same
>answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
> with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
> minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.
>
> Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
> reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.
>
> I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.
>

> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling
>

> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> You can use AC plan to dial into your regular ISP. I do it all the time.
>> No difference from AC and SR on that.
>>
>> As far as roaming... you are right. However, you have to weigh any
>> "possible" roaming charges against what you'll save on free off-peak,
>> INNetwork and weekends. Remember, even on AC, there are no long distance
>> and roaming charges within Verizon's covered spaces (they call it the
>> "home area" - even though the "home area" stretches across the whole damn
>> US! ) ). Turns out that is one hellofalot of space.
>>
>> I live in Colorado. The West is not as good coverage as the East.
>> Anyway, even considering that, with AC, I can virtually always make long
>> distance and roaming without charge. Even on my frequent 1000-2000 mile
>> Gold Wing Motorcycle trips! Since I get all that free night, INNetwork
>> and weekend stuff, I have PLENTY of minutes on my plan for my peak stuff.
>>
>> When I had Single Rate, I would OFTEN run over the minutes... because I
>> DID NOT get the free night, INNetwork and weekend minutes.
>>
>> Bottom line for me... running over the allotted minutes costs WAY MORE
>> than a very occasional roaming charge.
>>
>> Something to think about.
>>
>> AC is better for me. And I held on to Single Rate for a bunch of years
>> before I realized that.
>>
>> Now I can affort a plan with DOUBLE the minutes of my old Single Rate
>> plan, at $5/mo less cost. And... on top of that, the double minutes go
>> three or four times as far due to the free times!
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message
>>> It's my understanding the Single Rate Plan "never" has additional
>>> charges for long distance or roaming, no matter where we are. We
>>> fulltime RV and have been told that with America's Choice, charges for
>>> roaming and long distance are possible.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I want a phone that can connect to my regular ISP for
>>> email downloads, however slow.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Traveling
>>>

>>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

December 3, 2004 8:15:41 PM

I meant to add... I did not buy the "data package".

>I have MOU on my AC plan.
>
> -Frank
>
> "on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message
> news:o v%rd.85711$7i4.7152@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess MOU
>>with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the same
>>answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
>> with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
>> minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.
>>
>> Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
>> reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.
>>
>> I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.
>>

>> --
>> Thanks
>>
>> Traveling
>>

>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> You can use AC plan to dial into your regular ISP. I do it all the
>>> time. No difference from AC and SR on that.
>>>
>>> As far as roaming... you are right. However, you have to weigh any
>>> "possible" roaming charges against what you'll save on free off-peak,
>>> INNetwork and weekends. Remember, even on AC, there are no long
>>> distance and roaming charges within Verizon's covered spaces (they call
>>> it the "home area" - even though the "home area" stretches across the
>>> whole damn US! ) ). Turns out that is one hellofalot of space.
>>>
>>> I live in Colorado. The West is not as good coverage as the East.
>>> Anyway, even considering that, with AC, I can virtually always make long
>>> distance and roaming without charge. Even on my frequent 1000-2000 mile
>>> Gold Wing Motorcycle trips! Since I get all that free night, INNetwork
>>> and weekend stuff, I have PLENTY of minutes on my plan for my peak
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> When I had Single Rate, I would OFTEN run over the minutes... because I
>>> DID NOT get the free night, INNetwork and weekend minutes.
>>>
>>> Bottom line for me... running over the allotted minutes costs WAY MORE
>>> than a very occasional roaming charge.
>>>
>>> Something to think about.
>>>
>>> AC is better for me. And I held on to Single Rate for a bunch of years
>>> before I realized that.
>>>
>>> Now I can affort a plan with DOUBLE the minutes of my old Single Rate
>>> plan, at $5/mo less cost. And... on top of that, the double minutes go
>>> three or four times as far due to the free times!
>>>
>>> -Frank
>>>
>>> "on our way" <onourway@spamaccess-4-free.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:58:51 AM

If you use a tri-mode phone on America's Choice Network, won't you still
be able to do Analog?

--
Thanks

Traveling

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "DaleP" <suntiger@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not the original poster, but since this topic hits close to home,
>> I thought I'd share some thoughts. The Single Rate plan is very
>> useful
>> to someone who works/travels/vacations in analog-only areas and uses
>> the cell as their primary phone when in those areas. When used in
>> this
>> manner the roaming charges can be significant. I don't use a cell
>> much
>> in daily life here in Colorado, but when traveling and on vacation,
>> especially when the cell becomes our cabin phone in eastern Upper
>> Michigan, it's indispensible. Perhaps over time digital service will
>> fill in the gaps and make analog networks unnecessary, but as long as
>> roaming on analog is required, it's nice to have plans that make it
>> cost effective to do so.
>
> Dale, you hit it right on to describing why many of us stay on those
> old NSR plans. Just as you, I am off the interstates sometime weeks
> at the time, thus on analog, and would be paying roaming. Some
> mentioned getting the request for a credit card. I've gotten that 4
> times in 4 years and a call to Verizon got the service turned on in
> that area (for my phone at least) within 4 to 5 minutes. Ain't gonna
> happen with America's Choice or the other digital plans!! I'll stay
> with the old plan until I stop traveling all over North America.
>
> Tom J

December 4, 2004 12:58:52 AM

> If you use a tri-mode phone on America's Choice Network,
> won't you still be able to do Analog?

Yes.

-Frank
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 7:40:16 AM

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:00:20 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>"DaleP" <suntiger@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> . Perhaps over time digital service will
>> fill in the gaps and make analog networks unnecessary, but as long as
>> roaming on analog is required, it's nice to have plans that make it
>> cost effective to do so.
>
>Dale, you hit it right on to describing why many of us stay on those old NSR
>plans. Just as you, I am off the interstates sometime weeks at the time, thus
>on analog, and would be paying roaming.

"Analog" does not equal "roaming charges." There are many areas where an AC
subscriber would see "Extended Network" and also the A symbol.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Toby! Come quick! Sam's gettin' his ass kicked by a girl." - Josh Lyman
"Ginger, get the popcorn." - Toby Ziegler
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:40:09 PM

> If you use a tri-mode phone on America's Choice Network, won't you still be
> able to do Analog?

If Verizon has an agreement for Americas Choice with the carrier in the area!!
They don't everywhere, the reason I stay with NSR.

Tom J

Tom J
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 3:11:04 PM

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:40:09 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com>
wrote:

>If Verizon has an agreement for Americas Choice with the carrier in the area!!

Whether you can roam on a given carrier or not has nothing whatsoever
to do with what plan you're on -- the only thing that is different
between AC and NSR is how much you pay.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:21:18 GMT, on our way wrote:

> I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess
> MOU with the Americas Choice Plan.

It should be added automatically on new accounts. If you don't have it call
611 and tell them you want it added so you "can download GIN faster".
Don't mention you want to use it for internet access, because that confuses
most CSRs and they will tell you you need the pay plan.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:30:01 AM

on our way wrote:
> I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess
> MOU with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the
> same answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
> with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
> minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.
>
> Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
> reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.
>
> I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.

Make sure your phone has GIN features, and verify they work. You will,
at that point, effectively have NA MOU.

Watch out though, I've noticed 1x minutes can take several days to show
in #646 and www.verizonwireless.com.

JS
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 5:46:07 PM

"Jacob Suter" <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote in message
> on our way wrote:
>> I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess MOU
>> with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the same
>> answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
>> with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
>> minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.
>>
>> Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
>> reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.
>>
>> I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.
>
> Make sure your phone has GIN features, and verify they work. You will, at
> that point, effectively have NA MOU.
>
> Watch out though, I've noticed 1x minutes can take several days to show in
> #646 and www.verizonwireless.com.
>
> JS

In 2.5 yrs with Verizon (southern CA), I've -never- experienced the lag time
you speak of. It seems (in field observation) that if I make a call after
the phone has not been used for about 5-6 hrs, VZW updates the minutes used
accounting within the following 10 minutes.
--

- Philip
Anonymous

Philip wrote:
> "Jacob Suter" <j4k3@ezho.org> wrote in message
>
>>on our way wrote:
>>
>>>I can not find *in writing* anywhere that VZW provides NationalAccess MOU
>>>with the Americas Choice Plan. I've called 3 VZW stores and got the same
>>>answer. "You must buy a data package to use NationalAccess MOU
>>>with the America's Choice Plan". Only the NationalAccess Plan (400
>>>minutes - $55 per month) includes National Access.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know a VZW Plan Code number or something in writing that
>>>reflects that NationalAccess is included in America's Plan.
>>>
>>>I realize that VZW employees receive commissions on their sales.
>>
>>Make sure your phone has GIN features, and verify they work. You will, at
>>that point, effectively have NA MOU.
>>
>>Watch out though, I've noticed 1x minutes can take several days to show in
>>#646 and www.verizonwireless.com.
>>
>>JS
>

> In 2.5 yrs with Verizon (southern CA), I've -never- experienced the lag time
> you speak of. It seems (in field observation) that if I make a call after
> the phone has not been used for about 5-6 hrs, VZW updates the minutes used
> accounting within the following 10 minutes.

Well I experienced it, and it was about a $20 mistake (went over my
minutes). Adds up, now I have double the minutes for the same
investment and no hope of ever using them up.

Here (Houston, SID 12) voice usage posts almost immediately on the
website, but can take many hours to update to #646. This was never a
problem until that event. I've been careful since.

I have noticed #646 is improving. Hopefully they'll move up to doing
realtime queries rather than whatever method they're using now.

JS
!