Blizzard Banned Over 5,000 StarCraft II Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In other news, Blizzard has sold over 5,000 copies of Starcraft II!

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I hate cheaters! What is the point? All it does is aggravate the real players, then nobody will want to play the game, and all you did was ruin a great game. I hate cheaters and thank god Blizzard stepped up and took action. Hopefully other game developers will follow.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
now i have to ask, what kind of cheaters where they?
diablo 2 want made for the high resolution of wide screens today, you patch the game to work fullscreen on a 1920x1200 screen and you will get banned for cheating, even if thats the purpose of what you are doing.

i want to know if these people were really cheating in game or if it was something harmless that got them banned.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Easiest way to get rid of cheaters is to make a game that you can mod easily for cheating and change rules of conduct accordingly. I'm doing just that with another game.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
How on earth someone can cheat on multiplayer SC2, and most importantly, why? Do they feel the urge to win other players by any mean? Anyway, good job Blizzard, send home those idiots who cheat...

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
This sounds fair and good to me. I can't imagine anyone would have something negative to say about this, lest they be the worst kind of villiany and scum.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Good Move!!!

I was a little hesitant to buy a (non pirate) copy of the game since I don't play multiplayer.

Now that Blizzard had justified the price difference between a pirate & a legit copy (they use that money to go after cheaters), I will get one for sure although I don't play multiplayer.

I sure hope other developers (STEAM) do the same. DO that then I will stop buying pirated copies.

Let me give you a hint: Chinese mainland Counter Strike cheaters likes to use the "superman vision" cheat.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]doyletdude[/nom]This sounds fair and good to me. I can't imagine anyone would have something negative to say about this, lest they be the worst kind of villiany and scum.[/citation]
well i do. iv played mmos enough that i have been accused of cheating on multiple occasions taking advantage of how monsters react to different things. iv been banned for 3 months at one point because i soloed a mob that should have taken a group to kill, because of a glitch in the way the mob reacted to what i did. i didn't exploit it and kill it over and over, i did it once, and the glitch wasn't fixed till 6 or so months later, it was just known after my suspension that you aren't allowed to kill it that way.

i want to know what these people did.
did they take advantage of the game systems? i dont see that as banable
did they hack it? that would be an ip ban if i had it my way
did they use a non harmful mod, like my diablo 2 one i mentioned above? i see this as breaking the rules, but in a basically harmless way.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
ahh well whatever I'm sure some of those people weren't doing too much, but at the end of the day if it staved off more cheaters then good.

I'd hate to see Diablo 3 ruined by cheaters

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
How can Diablo 3 be 'ruined' by cheaters? How the heck can Diablo 2 be ruined by cheaters?

The only thing that can happen basically is that these people can 'hack' more items than another person can or something like that. I don't see that as 'ruining' another game.

Now, if you are talking about a game that has a player vs. player portion? Then hacks can ruin the game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Christopher1[/nom]How can Diablo 3 be 'ruined' by cheaters? How the heck can Diablo 2 be ruined by cheaters?The only thing that can happen basically is that these people can 'hack' more items than another person can or something like that. I don't see that as 'ruining' another game.Now, if you are talking about a game that has a player vs. player portion? Then hacks can ruin the game.[/citation]

actually one diablo 2 hack i believe had you pick up an item, and be unable to ever remove it from your inventory, and which you know, is notoriously small.

G

good news, just wish MW" would go through the same thing.... Cheating on there is beyond terrible..

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I'm no fan of cheaters and I wish them the worst level of karma but I don't exactly trust Blizzard's almighty Banhammer swinging casualty free. It comes down to poor programing/design that allowed the hacks/cheats to be implemented and that is Blizzard's fault. Their should be some leniency/redemption available to the accused and for those whom are guilty beyond any doubt, I wish that there were legal actions ($500 fines) for hurting the multiplayer gameplay.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well i do. iv played mmos enough that i have been accused of cheating on multiple occasions taking advantage of how monsters react to different things. iv been banned for 3 months at one point because i soloed a mob that should have taken a group to kill, because of a glitch in the way the mob reacted to what i did. i didn't exploit it and kill it over and over, i did it once, and the glitch wasn't fixed till 6 or so months later, it was just known after my suspension that you aren't allowed to kill it that way.i want to know what these people did.did they take advantage of the game systems? i dont see that as banabledid they hack it? that would be an ip ban if i had it my waydid they use a non harmful mod, like my diablo 2 one i mentioned above? i see this as breaking the rules, but in a basically harmless way.[/citation]

Rules are meant so nobody has an unfair advantage that makes the game less fun for others. You are just a douchebag trying haplessly to justify his actions.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
i wonder how many of the 5000 were actually cheating? blizzard's notorious for swinging the ban hammer and not investigating thoroughly enough to weed out botters from legitimate accounts

bpeglow

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
When I beat someone fairly in multiplayer I feel good. I really don't see how cheaters get any kind of a rush from beating someone using hacks.

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well i do. iv played mmos enough that i have been accused of cheating on multiple occasions taking advantage of how monsters react to different things. iv been banned for 3 months at one point because i soloed a mob that should have taken a group to kill, because of a glitch in the way the mob reacted to what i did. i didn't exploit it and kill it over and over, i did it once, and the glitch wasn't fixed till 6 or so months later, it was just known after my suspension that you aren't allowed to kill it that way.i want to know what these people did.did they take advantage of the game systems? i dont see that as banabledid they hack it? that would be an ip ban if i had it my waydid they use a non harmful mod, like my diablo 2 one i mentioned above? i see this as breaking the rules, but in a basically harmless way.[/citation]

They were banned because they maphacked, drophacked, etc. Hacks. Third party programs, etc.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I have purchased the game, I havent had a whole lot of time to mess with it yet, but would its possible some folks were banned for joining private servers or even creating private servers on their own network since the game does not allow a private game. "LOCAL AREA NETWORK" game. Plus the fact that it forces the user to be connected to the internet. I am not throwing my personal opinion in if I like that or not but I knew about it when I purchases it so I cant complain. I'm just not sure how I would feel if someone was banned possibly for that reason if they are not impacting Battlenet online play. Blizzard isnt going to be able to take the time to check this, either the code is 100 percent clean or not. People would need to just make sure that they do not connect this type of code to the internet while playing private, otherwise, who knows what types of things are pushed up and down from your computer to blizzard.

[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]..i'm a douchebag for whining somoene who can solo in a mmo..[/citation]I mean really.. he did it once, because he spent the time finding out the weakness in the monster ai. If anything he should get a atta-boy for the discovery and the ai fixed by the developer. It would be different if he did it 100s upon 100s of times.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well i do. iv played mmos enough that i have been accused of cheating on multiple occasions taking advantage of how monsters react to different thing........a basically harmless way.[/citation] That isn't cheating - it is strategy. Just because an area is group-clear only doesnt mean that it cannot be done solo with the right skills/actions. Kudos! (over in Guildwars we have figured out how to solo areas too, though anet isnt as draconic as whomever your developer is)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Rules are meant so nobody has an unfair advantage that makes the game less fun for others. You are just a douchebag trying haplessly to justify his actions.[/citation]

take a look at the resolutions you can play at, and im not sure if it can be windowed or not. i play at 1920x1200 with it, and thats the only "hack" i have is so i can full screen it without the game stretching or distorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.