soltek

zwaarst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does enyone have any expirence with soltek mobo's for a P3.?

<font color=red>duk-tape is like the force, it has a bright side and a dark side, and it keeps the universe together.</font color=red>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I don't have experience with their P3 boards, but the first motherboard I ever bought was a Soltek Super7 and it is great. I haven't had one problem and I am still using it to this day (three years later). I haven't heard much about them for the last year or so, but if they still build them like they used to, it should be great.

BTW... great sig. I wish I would of thought of that. :smile:

- <font color=red> God </font color=red> <font color=white> Bless </font color=white> <font color=blue> America </font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by njeske on 09/20/01 04:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

zwaarst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I need a simple computer that is going to be a file server for digital photo's on a intra net. I dont need a fast mobo, it only has to be reliable. The was a realy good offer in the local computer shop, it only had a soltec mobo, and i was wondering if I had to change that.
It's OS will be win2000 beceause i dont know linux that well. Does somebody know if you need win2000 professional or win2000 Server when you want more than 10 peoples to be logt on the same time?

thanx for the complement about the sig "njeske "

<font color=red>duk-tape is like the force, it has a bright side and a dark side, and it keeps the universe together.</font color=red>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
If you are just going to use the server to host files, you probably don't need to server features of Win2k Server. However, I don't know the connect limit. If if turns out that the connect limit is high enough, stay with Professional.

Have you considered just putting Win98 on there and setting up User-Level file access? Win98 doesn't have a limit (that I know of) and with user-level file sharing is probably secure enough for what it sounds like you're doing.

- <font color=red> God </font color=red> <font color=white> Bless </font color=white> <font color=blue> America </font color=blue>

G

W2k would be better for handling that kind of media or even 9xME, I was having a simular discussion the other day about handling photograhic/video programs with WinME,W2Kpro, XPhome,and XP pro. My IMO is W2K pro is the go and seemed to be the concensus of everyone..As far as the number of connections I am not sure either. Have a look here <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/features/default.asp" target="_new">Win2K features</A>

Good luck.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/21/01 09:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>