Can my rig max skyrim?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Crysis
  • Skyrim
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 5, 2011 2:36:53 AM

Can my rig max out Elder Scrolls V Skyrim? I can play Crysis on 1920x1080/very high spec and get 30-50 fps. Skyrim is only a DX9 game and shouldn't be as taxing on your rig as Crysis.

*Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
*8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
*Two Radeon HD 5870's in CF (1GB each)
*MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 motherboard
*850W PSU

http://www.elderscrollv.com/skyrim-system-requirements/

I have much greater than the recommended system requirements.

More about : rig max skyrim

October 5, 2011 3:49:58 AM

Two very important questions of what refresh rate is your monitor at? Then at what res. do you want to play Crysis at? As your computer should be able to max Elder scrolls V Skyrim at a 1920x1080 res.

A Computer with
Core i5-2500K @ 3.5GHz
8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
2 GeForce 560 Ti & 1 Telsa C2075
MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 motherboard
850W PSU

that will max out anything which you can throw at it for a few years for the games already scheduled to come out and for Crysis anyways. The Telsa C2075 card to make up for the lack of computing in the 560 Ti GeForce cards compared to a couple 590 GeForce cards but a single Telsa card should be enough to go over the difference and give more then needed. The only thing which you would have to worry about with the config which i layed out is cost as this is a very costly configuration very fast but the cost is high.
m
l
October 5, 2011 1:02:54 PM

The game isn't out and there are no benchmarks, so there is no telling at all.
But in just speculation, it should run well.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 10:00:46 PM

Gman450 said:
The game isn't out and there are no benchmarks, so there is no telling at all.
But in just speculation, it should run well.

It should run fairly well on most systems considering that it's only a DX9 game.
m
l
October 8, 2011 10:09:07 PM

what is the point ambam? if you want to show your system off, theres a thread for that. you will be able to max out skyrim, bf3, and all that with that rig.
m
l
October 9, 2011 6:31:18 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
what is the point ambam? if you want to show your system off, theres a thread for that. you will be able to max out skyrim, bf3, and all that with that rig.

Currently, Crysis is still the ultimate nemesis of PC hardware. Followed by Metro 2033, the PC port of GTA4, and a few other games.

Future games will become more demanding. I heard that BF3 is going to be the new system-killer.

Skyrim, probably not so much.
m
l
October 9, 2011 5:24:04 PM

gta4 is only a "system killer" because it was poorly ported.
m
l
October 10, 2011 2:09:00 PM

You know, Crysis 2 along with it's DX11 and high res texture pack is a real system killer.
NFS: The Run, requirements are quite high too (recommended).
m
l
October 11, 2011 3:23:01 AM

Skyrim will be able to use DX11, they just have not said how.

"Yes, but I guess the real question here is do we take advantage of DX11's big new features and the answer is 'not specifically'." Article can be found on IGN or Toms.

It will still be a beautiful game, and your system will play it. If it pushes your system or how far it pushes it, we will not be able to tell for a while yet. But i would assume that you can max the settings at 1080 or lower (my opinion) but may not be able to run fully maxed at 1200 or 1600.
m
l
October 12, 2011 12:13:08 AM

I'm having questionable thoughts about my rig and Skyrim. I'll get the game either way so I know that I own it (big fan of Elder Scrolls). I'm not looking to play the game on full maxed out settings, but to have them on about medium settings with no AA.

I'll be upgrading my memory sometime this month. Just hoping this game plays good.

(My specs are below)
m
l
October 12, 2011 7:34:31 PM

it will run well, No telling until you get the game and test it for yourself!
m
l
October 13, 2011 8:24:23 PM

I would wait and see what happens. Morrowind smashed my nVidia 4200 and only ran well when I eventually moved to a nvda 6600gt. Oblivion smashed my nvda gt7900 and only ran well when I moved to an nvda 8800gt. I now have an ati 5770 as a stand-in but guessing that will be added to the pile of old graphics cards in the cupboard... I would wait to see how nvidia scales against ati - remember how Fallout ran much better on Ati (gutted at the time with my nv 8800gt)... there may be something in the Bethesda engine for that...

CPU scaling is also worth considering.. will it respond to brute force dual cores or a more subtle lower-clocked 6+ core chip...

Either way it looks awesome. If I were a gambler... I would wager that is will scale slightly better on ati hardware ($ for $) and will not be very good with scaling on multi-core (no gain after 2+ cores). I'm basing this on a lot of what I saw with Oblivion and Fallout 3... So, I'd theory an OC i3 with an ATI 6970 would be a good gamble... (But I've been wrong 2 out of 2 so far!)
m
l
October 13, 2011 9:18:09 PM

archieharrison said:
I would wait and see what happens. Morrowind smashed my nVidia 4200 and only ran well when I eventually moved to a nvda 6600gt. Oblivion smashed my nvda gt7900 and only ran well when I moved to an nvda 8800gt. I now have an ati 5770 as a stand-in but guessing that will be added to the pile of old graphics cards in the cupboard... I would wait to see how nvidia scales against ati - remember how Fallout ran much better on Ati (gutted at the time with my nv 8800gt)... there may be something in the Bethesda engine for that...

CPU scaling is also worth considering.. will it respond to brute force dual cores or a more subtle lower-clocked 6+ core chip...

Either way it looks awesome. If I were a gambler... I would wager that is will scale slightly better on ati hardware ($ for $) and will not be very good with scaling on multi-core (no gain after 2+ cores). I'm basing this on a lot of what I saw with Oblivion and Fallout 3... So, I'd theory an OC i3 with an ATI 6970 would be a good gamble... (But I've been wrong 2 out of 2 so far!)

it will run on the xbox 360.... so a 1900. i doubt it will need a 6970 to run,
and current gen console ports tend to like having multiple cores
m
l
October 14, 2011 9:16:36 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
it will run on the xbox 360.... so a 1900. i doubt it will need a 6970 to run,
and current gen console ports tend to like having multiple cores

3-way GTX 580's or two 6990's in CF should be able to max out Skyrim with smooth framerates.
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:35:45 PM

I hope someone adds a tessellation mod to skyrim. It sounds like even when they implement DX11 features, that wont be one of them.

and your question is stupid... :p 
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:14:27 PM

ambam said:
3-way GTX 580's or two 6990's in CF should be able to max out Skyrim with smooth framerates.

aye, and should a single 6870. no reason to spend all that money. i know the game hasnt come out yet, but its graphics are restrained by being on the xbox as lead platform.
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:15:04 PM

nocturnal7x said:
I hope someone adds a tessellation mod to skyrim. It sounds like even when they implement DX11 features, that wont be one of them.

and your question is stupid... :p 

he just wants attention, that seems to be his goal with every thread he makes.
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:58:54 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
aye, and should a single 6870. no reason to spend all that money. i know the game hasnt come out yet, but its graphics are restrained by being on the xbox as lead platform.

True.
The game is being developed for the console platforms, so you can definitely expect it to be one of those "console ports".
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:37:41 AM

Gman450 said:
True.
The game is being developed for the console platforms, so you can definitely expect it to be one of those "console ports".

The jaw-dropping screenshots from Skyrim tell me that this is going to take a lot of GPU muscle to max it out with playable framerates.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/3214/article/new-eld...
m
l
!