Sign in with
Your question

Iwill KK266, KK266R & KK266R-Plus Quozzies

Last response: in Motherboards
September 21, 2001 5:09:35 AM

well its pretty much certain that im getting a new shiney mobo.

and have narrowed it down to two, the abit or the iwill.

i have decided upon the Iwill for its superior FSB overclocking, as i have reached 154 on my dying a7v133 and all my components are overclock stable. (including PC150 sdram)

i have searched the web and have seen a few reviews of various Iwill KK266 boards.
BUT: does anyone know the real difference between the 266 and the plus? i will be getting the raid version so the two choices i see are the KK266R or KK266R-plus.
is it just an improved audio chip or other performance tweaks too?
also... Questions about the northbridge.
a very critical component with overlocking.
on some of the pics ive seen it with just a passive light green heatsink. others have had a heatsink AND a fan.
which models have which?
personal experiences?

thanx

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2001 5:30:33 AM

I dont know much as far as those particular boards are concerned, check out the manufactures website and compare them as you probably have done already.
I would agree about the Northbridge as an important part in o/c and might add thats prolly what killed your A7V133 with excessive fsb IMO.
Definately get the Nothbridge heatsink and fan on any board used in O/C.First thing you do when you get your new M/B is to remove the northbridge HSF and apply ASII. Some dont even have any thermal paste on them at all and the ones that do, well you will see.
On my board I did it before installing as I would not be able to unclip it otherwise.

Good luck!

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
September 21, 2001 5:51:50 AM

The only main differences between the origional KK266 and PLUS version is the added 5.1 surround sound, a relocated power connector (I know it isn't important), and the PLUS has an active cooler (a heatsink + fan)...the origional KK266 and KK266-R only has the "greenie" heatsinks, no fans.
Yeah, what scotty said, I don't think there are any thermal paste or adhesive on them, so you may want to buy some.

Oh yeah, the PLUS version also ships with the newer 'performance' BIOS--but it doesn't matter since you can always download it. Based on the reviews i have read, the PLUS version usually went 5-10mhz higher than the origional KK266 and KK266-R.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
Related resources
September 21, 2001 5:59:18 AM

Actually, the relocated power connector is placed in an awkward location in the PLUS version, which may or may not be a problem. Go check the picture of the PLUS version to see where it is located.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_e_Mouse on 09/20/01 11:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 21, 2001 6:19:41 AM

Hey, I just noticed when I went to newegg.com to check out some pics of the PLUS mobo, they don't have any fans!!
In fact, they use a totally different heatsink, it's not a "greenie"!
Hmm...I think the first batch of the PLUS version came with a fan, while the latest shipments uses these 'new' golden heatsink, no fan.

September 21, 2001 12:36:18 PM

mmm yes
ive noticed that too!
the iwill webby doesnt have pics... or at least i cant find em,
and ive noticed a number of different northbridge solutions!

the square greenie,
the above at 45% for a diamond greenie
the diamond greenie with a fan at normal angle (looks very strange with the tips of the diamond sticking out)
and the best solution on toms i think with a proper HS and decent looking fan.

must investigate this further.

aside of heat problems due to Overclocking, me and Scotty here in Oz face the upcomming summer. and i dont have AC.
that means room temps getting beyond 30C at times!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
September 21, 2001 12:51:18 PM

well get this for strange...
now my lockups seem to have settled into a predictable, if wierd pattern.

initially the lockups occured once it got warm, then continually after (heat problem anyone?)

now, i get one lockup upon the first cold boot for the day, always before windows has finished loading properly. one simple reboot later, and im up and running at 150FSB... often for many hours at 100% cpu load.

ive tried jiggling eveything many times to no avail.
wierd huh?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2001 12:54:57 PM

I run hot tests here with the heater on high (room 32C).
Best way to have summer testing in winter. no worries mate!

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2001 12:59:10 PM

Sounds like a psu problem in a way... what kind is it?

When I had psu problems all kind of weird things happend, would boot one time and not the next, BSOD some days then none the next. Hard disk corruptions then none for a while.etc. Think about all the little problems you have had, see the whole picture. Dunno.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/22/01 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 22, 2001 5:19:58 AM

its a 300W which came with the case. i knew when i got it i shoulda got better, but the rig sucked up all my available funds at the time.

now ive got extra moolah,
i think ill hold of on the iwill mobo till i get that 420 or 550W enermax from that pc place u reccomended.

just cant decide on the 420 or 550. is the 420 quieter or cooler?

September 22, 2001 5:29:19 AM

ooo

wow. thats a great idea!

why didnt i think of that!
amazing what one can do if one engages one's brain occasionally
:) 

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2001 10:57:25 AM

:tongue:

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2001 11:01:37 AM

Maybee ya genuine with that remark, but lol Iam not sure if you are havin' a go at moi or not! whatever heh
Well I suppose it is so simple ain't it!

September 23, 2001 7:13:43 AM

lol
twazz dry auzzie whit mate!

onto my news.
went to another swapmeet today.
got some 50 80min blank cds, 60 cases too.

picked up 2 rounded ide cables, will do some drive benchies tonite, whack em in then benchmark again... but judging by the reviews online i wont see any diff. they do look COOL though and i can see how they help airflow.
they were AU$17 each.
also got myself 3 x 80mm casefans, rated for 37CFM :) 
and a metal fan hole protector for that gaping wound ive created at the back of my PC *evil grin*

also saw the monster of athlon coolers there too, the monster of all monsters, forgotten its name but it IS the top cooler. mounts directly to the mobo... looks like a cooling tower for a nuclear reactor :) 

will be back soon with my opinions of the rounded cables

opps... almost forgot... of all the stalls in the swapmeet, only ONE had ANY iwill mobo's, and it was a KA266, not the KK266.
on a positive note ive seen a review of the KK266 R plus, and it says they include an active northbridge HS & fan as an extra for the mad overclocker :) 

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 09/23/01 06:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!