Sign in with
Your question

ABIT bx6 r2 and celeron 900's

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2001 3:00:19 PM

Hello all,
I have a question. does anybody know if the celeron 900's will work on an Abit bx6 r2? I know that they are 100 fsb, but I will have to get a sloket converter and I'm not sure if the celeron's are compatible with my board and the slokets. Also if this is possible will I have to buy a new heat sink or can I continue to use the one I have on my current slot1 pIII 450? It is an aftermarket slot1 heatsink that works really well. I'm not sure of the name because it came in a plain white box, but it is gold with a cylindrical heatsink and fan.
Please note I am not interested in overclocing anything I just want a little more horsies under the hood and the celerons are the best bang for the buck right now. This machine will probably be replaced within a year, but I do need some more power in the interim.

I would greatly appreciate any information about this.
Thanks.
Brent

To deny who I was is to deny who I am.

More about : abit bx6 celeron 900

September 23, 2001 7:40:44 AM

The motherboard will not work with Celeron 900. The board only have 8x multiplier. You need 9x to uses Celeron 900.
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2001 7:59:36 AM

Your about as wrong as anyone can possibly be. All Coppermine processors including the Celeron II have their own internal multiplier. abit even list this board as supporting a Celeron 700, which has a 10.5x mulitplier.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2001 8:03:22 AM

Yes, you can use the Celeron 900. But the PIII is a far better performaer, even at much lower clock speeds. For expample, a PIII 700 scores about the same as a Celeron 950 in many benchmarks. And the PIII 700 can be easily overclocked to 933 on your motherboard. It's also relatively inexpensive, under $100 at quite a few websites. A PIII 700 at 933 will beet a Celeron 1100 (the newest version tested that hasn't even reach the retail market yet) by a relatively large margin.

Back to you Tom...
September 23, 2001 8:27:26 AM

Sorry for the wrong information. My ABIT BX6 RV2 board still using the 1999 bios. The highest multiplier it have is 8x.
September 23, 2001 8:31:57 AM

Hi Crashman. I have some question about bios update. As I mentioned before I am still using the old bios right now.I was going to fresh the bios but I read somewhere says that the new bios make the use of all 4 memory slot unstable it that true?
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2001 7:41:00 PM

The internal multiplier of these CPU's overrides the multiplier lmmitations of BIOS. I have a BX board with a 5.5x highest multiplier running a Celeron 566@850. That's 8.5x, far beyond the adjustments of BIOS. The internal multiplier lock takes the stress off BIOS' multiplier limmit.

Back to you Tom...
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2001 7:49:46 PM

I have never heard of this problem. If your intersted in a newer motherboard I'll trade you a CUSL2 for $50 more. I'm looking for another nice overclockable Slot-1 board for an "experiment".

Back to you Tom...
September 24, 2001 12:24:21 AM

Thanks for the information. I do not want another motherboard for Intel processor. All the new motherboards I get is for AMD processor. The processor is a lot cheaper.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2001 1:19:27 AM

Thanks for the input Crashman. Unfortunately I'm not interested in OC my processor, all my ram is generic pc100 and I don't want to replace it. So OC a 700 to 933 isn't an option. You did say that the P3 700's kept up with the 950 celerons so I would assume that a P3 750 would be a better solution than the 700.

I am still curious about whether I would need a new heatsink if I went with the celeron and a sloket adapter. Do you have any information on this? I would affect my decision on which processor to get as the 900 with a sloket is still cheaper, but not if I have to buy a new heatsink too.

Thanks again for the help
Brent

To deny who I was is to deny who I am.
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2001 4:50:07 AM

Yes, the 750 should be about match the Celeron 1000 for performance. Either processor would require a new heatsink, on the Slotket you would use a Socket 370 heatsink. Your old SECC heatsink won't fit the SECC2 PIII either. So in any event you will need a different heatsink. Nothing spectacular either, you can get good heatsinks for around $8-$12.
The PIII 750 is available for less money thatn the 700 (less demand because it can't be overclocked as easily). In fact retailers are having a difficult time selling them because they are so old (but overclockers are still buying the 700). You could get a Socket PIII 750 for around $90, a slotket for around $8, and a heatsink for around $10. Or you could get a Slot 1 PIII 750 for around $115, and a SECC2 heatsink for around $10. So you can see that the Socket 370 solution is cheaper even when you have to buy a Slotket to use it.

Back to you Tom...
!