Slow boot after upgrading to SP2

October 11, 2004 11:49:01 PM

I'm not sure what happened when I upgraded to Windows XP SP2, and I've seen
this all over the boards but nothing helps (I have no viruses nor spyware,
and I have defragged). If I log on right after the welcome screen comes up,
it takes about 3 minutes to actually load, and doesn't even actually do
anything (hard drive or otherwise). If I wait for about a minute after the
screen comes up, it logs on normally. As I said, this just started after I
upgraded to SP2; it never happened in SP1. Anybody have any OTHER
ideas/fixes that might correct this issue? They'd be greatly appreciated.
Another theme I've seen in the slow boot posts and might mention, I usually
connect using a wireless card (using a laptop), but this problem happens
whether it's connected or not. Thanks.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:45:05 AM

I am experiencing the same thing! Immediately after the SP2 install my
computer wouldn't bootup. It would hang. I had to "repair" it using the
install disk; ever since then it loads extremely slowly. The black splash
screen has entirely disappeared. I had Spybot and Ad-Aware installed on my
PC before the SP2 install (and yes I did run them). I also have Mcafee's VS
and ZoneAlarm firewall. This didn't seem to prevent the disaster of SP2. My
PC is also connected to a wireless network using NETGEAR devices. Now I find
myself in need of a "hot fix" that is available via....you guessed
it....SP2!!

"RichG2002" wrote:

> I'm not sure what happened when I upgraded to Windows XP SP2, and I've seen
> this all over the boards but nothing helps (I have no viruses nor spyware,
> and I have defragged). If I log on right after the welcome screen comes up,
> it takes about 3 minutes to actually load, and doesn't even actually do
> anything (hard drive or otherwise). If I wait for about a minute after the
> screen comes up, it logs on normally. As I said, this just started after I
> upgraded to SP2; it never happened in SP1. Anybody have any OTHER
> ideas/fixes that might correct this issue? They'd be greatly appreciated.
> Another theme I've seen in the slow boot posts and might mention, I usually
> connect using a wireless card (using a laptop), but this problem happens
> whether it's connected or not. Thanks.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:27:06 PM

Update: I believe it has something to do with the wireless card, but I'm not
sure what. It has just started this with SP2, although I use Linksys. I
have read elsewhere that it could be just looking for the DCS server. Any
way to speed this up?
!