Slow boot after upgrading to SP2

I'm not sure what happened when I upgraded to Windows XP SP2, and I've seen
this all over the boards but nothing helps (I have no viruses nor spyware,
and I have defragged). If I log on right after the welcome screen comes up,
it takes about 3 minutes to actually load, and doesn't even actually do
anything (hard drive or otherwise). If I wait for about a minute after the
screen comes up, it logs on normally. As I said, this just started after I
upgraded to SP2; it never happened in SP1. Anybody have any OTHER
ideas/fixes that might correct this issue? They'd be greatly appreciated.
Another theme I've seen in the slow boot posts and might mention, I usually
connect using a wireless card (using a laptop), but this problem happens
whether it's connected or not. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow boot upgrading

    I am experiencing the same thing! Immediately after the SP2 install my
    computer wouldn't bootup. It would hang. I had to "repair" it using the
    install disk; ever since then it loads extremely slowly. The black splash
    screen has entirely disappeared. I had Spybot and Ad-Aware installed on my
    PC before the SP2 install (and yes I did run them). I also have Mcafee's VS
    and ZoneAlarm firewall. This didn't seem to prevent the disaster of SP2. My
    PC is also connected to a wireless network using NETGEAR devices. Now I find
    myself in need of a "hot fix" that is available via....you guessed
    it....SP2!!

    "RichG2002" wrote:

    > I'm not sure what happened when I upgraded to Windows XP SP2, and I've seen
    > this all over the boards but nothing helps (I have no viruses nor spyware,
    > and I have defragged). If I log on right after the welcome screen comes up,
    > it takes about 3 minutes to actually load, and doesn't even actually do
    > anything (hard drive or otherwise). If I wait for about a minute after the
    > screen comes up, it logs on normally. As I said, this just started after I
    > upgraded to SP2; it never happened in SP1. Anybody have any OTHER
    > ideas/fixes that might correct this issue? They'd be greatly appreciated.
    > Another theme I've seen in the slow boot posts and might mention, I usually
    > connect using a wireless card (using a laptop), but this problem happens
    > whether it's connected or not. Thanks.

    Update: I believe it has something to do with the wireless card, but I'm not
    sure what. It has just started this with SP2, although I use Linksys. I
    have read elsewhere that it could be just looking for the DCS server. Any
    way to speed this up?

Slow Startup Windows XP