Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

"The connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost."

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Defragment
  • Windows XP
October 12, 2004 2:50:14 AM

I get this message after about 10 seconds of trying to defrag or analyze my
C drive. It suggest I run the defrag again. I've rebooted, closed all the
active programs, don't have an IM or email programs running, and even turned
off my virus scanner.

I find nothing in MS knowledgebase.

What's up?

Kozmo

More about : connection defragmenter engine lost

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:48:12 PM

What you think of as the defragger isn't. It is a pretty (or not so pretty if using the other one) interface to the defragger. That is defrag.exe controls another program that defrags. This suggests that the defragger is crashing or hanging and your propgram can no longer talk to it.

Look in Event Viewer for any messages.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message news:o xezW9BsEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I get this message after about 10 seconds of trying to defrag or analyze my
> C drive. It suggest I run the defrag again. I've rebooted, closed all the
> active programs, don't have an IM or email programs running, and even turned
> off my virus scanner.
>
> I find nothing in MS knowledgebase.
>
> What's up?
>
> Kozmo

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:48:13 PM

thanks for the help. I wasn't even aware of the Event Viewer. I used it and
found the start and end events of trying to defrag. I used the link to get
help and MS tells me there is no help for this item.

Here's the message from the event viewer about the error:
wuaueng.dll (1596) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the
instance (0).

I found that file in Windows.

This is the first time I've tried to defrag in this install of XP. I wonder
if the upgrade from W98 is the problem.

Kozmo

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
What you think of as the defragger isn't. It is a pretty (or not so pretty
if using the other one) interface to the defragger. That is defrag.exe
controls another program that defrags. This suggests that the defragger is
crashing or hanging and your propgram can no longer talk to it.

Look in Event Viewer for any messages.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message
news:o xezW9BsEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I get this message after about 10 seconds of trying to defrag or analyze my
> C drive. It suggest I run the defrag again. I've rebooted, closed all the
> active programs, don't have an IM or email programs running, and even
turned
> off my virus scanner.
>
> I find nothing in MS knowledgebase.
>
> What's up?
>
> Kozmo

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 4:37:46 AM

That DLL is a windows Update dll (right click it and look at the properties). I suspect Windows Update is doing something. Try again.

http://www.uscricket.com