Problem with IE Loading Delay and Generic Host Pro

dss

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
Hi, I am experiencing an ongoing OS (possibly spyware) related problem. I have searched through these forums here and haven't found my specific issue address but I apologize it it's already been covered. To make a long story short, I am running a Compaq Desktop (new and in good working order) running XP (SP2) and receive a barrage of "Generic Host Process" errors when I first boot up. The other big issues are that when I try to type a url into IE, the system literally hangs for about two minutes before it connects to the site. If I click on the very same link via google, the site loads instantly. It also loads instantly if I use firefox. I could live with just using firefox except that now the system also takes forever to access my hard drive. If I try to go to "my computer" the system also hangs for a good minute or two. I have re-installed XP (but kept the applications on) a couple of times and the problem goes away for a few weeks before eventually resurfacing. Naturally, i've run spyware and adaware programs but they haven't solved the issue. Any help that anyone could provide would be very much appreciated... Thanks!

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
dss,

It sounds like you have a virus/trojan/worm infection. Perform an update for your antivirus software and run a scan. Make sure you turn off System Restore, especially if using Norton Antivirus. If you have no updated antivirus protection, visit <A HREF="http://www.download.com" target="_new">Download.com</A> and get either Avast! 4.6, AVG, or Bit Defender. You should not have more than ONE antivirus app installed. After downloading, proceed with installing, updating, and then scaning.

If virus removal is successful, but the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) issue persists, Microsoft has a <A HREF="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=489388b7-1b27-42c6-977e-4cee490a812d&SID=1501" target="_new">patch </A> available that you can apply.

Does your error message look something like this?
----
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Error signature
szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

Reporting details
This error report includes: information regarding the condition of Generic Host Process for Win32 Services when the problem occurred, the oeprating system version and computer hardware in use, and the IP address of your computer.

C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc418.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc418.dir00\appcompat.txt
----

If so, the patch may work. After applying the patch, you should reboot. Since the actual error happens during the shut down process, the error message doesn't actually appear until the next time you boot up. You should see the error message only once after applying the patch.