Games and HD-movies makes my computer freeze

deadlyjack

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hey
I got this problem recently and I'm getting really annoyed by always having to shut the computer of and on all the time.
My computer freezes during gaming (playing Maffia 2, mw2, The Settlers 7 and more...) and freeze during HD-videos.

Here is my story, like 3 weeks from now I went to the computer store and got my computer 3 more gig RAM-memory and a shiny new graphic card. I was all jumped about it cause I thought I would be playing without the laggings and *** like that.
Well, I come home, fix my computer and ready to start. Everything goes smoothly until I start playing mw2. In the beginning everything was so beautiful until 5 minutes in game... The computer starts freezing and goes for the same pich noise the sound was gonna give over and over again. Try hittin the Ctrl+Alt+Del buttons, nothin happens.

Anywho, I know I've got some good *** under this hood, maybe too good, and that's why I'm so darn confused...

I've tried these programs to fix it:
SpyBot-Search & Destroy
Registry Mechanic
Driver Genius Professional Edition

None will solve this issue I'm having. And if you'll give me a peace of mind about the CPU levels and stuff like that, please talk english cause I'm no whiseguy at computers... I know stuff, sure, but not the hightech stuff.

My Computer:
Win 7
ACER
Aspire M5640
BIOS ver: 08.00.15
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
4096MB RAM
1715 MB Used, 4425 MB not used
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Version: 8.17.12.5896
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) RTKVHDA.sys Version: 6.00.0001.6194 (English)

Hope you guys know what to do!

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Did you do any hardware updates?
Did you change any hardware out?

if not then I would uninstall one device at a time and install new drivers
if that doesn't work it will be a software issue

deadlyjack

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Likewise, the Driver Genius Professional Edition is supposed to find all the latest updates or...? And I have tried doing it manually too... but it doesn't work...

This reeks! I've even been to the computer store and made a total check on my computer... They found NOTHIN! How can a good source of people not know what it is and still force me to pay $70 for their service? That is not cool...

Sorry for my bad move ^^

Have a great night!

punditguy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Does your computer freeze when you're not doing something graphically intensive? Your video card may be overheating. I haven't had an nVidia card for a while, but I'm assuming it has a utility for monitoring temps.

deadlyjack

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
It turns out that my Graphiccard is defective... I tried putting in my old card, 8800 GT, and everything is working. I think I'll cahnge and choose a graphiccard bellow the quality of the one I bought.

Anyhow... Thanks alot!