PC Keeps Restarting!

My PC keeps restarting! It mainly does it when I turn it on for the first
time each day. It restarts about twice while booting up, then maybe another
2 or 3 times during the next half hour (with more restarting while
rebooting). It has done it for the last 2 weeks or so since the weather has
been getting colder.

It has always had a few problems since it was built (1 1/2 years ago) if
turned off for any length of time, but up until recently had settled down.

I have run several virus scans with Norton (making sure they are up to
date), but found nothing. I can't update to SP2 because it causes XP to
pause for a second or two constantly, so had to remove it (another
irritating problem - it loaded fine, just didn't work properly and I tried
it twice).

I recently had 3 emails sent to me with a virus in (can't remember the name)
which Norton had trouble with. It deleted 2 of 3 files, but I had to delete
a file left in the temp folder and the emails themselves. No remains were
found afterwards. I deactivated System Restore as indicated by Norton, did a
full scan and found nothing, then reactivated System Restore (this is the
point that the problems occurred so I can't go back to a previous state when
the problem didn't exist as it erased them all when deactivated).

Any advice would be gratefully received as I want to sort this out!

Thanks,
Sarah

(I emailed Microsoft with the problem I have with SP2 (the pausing) and
their advice was to install SP2! Crazy - do they not actually read the
emails!?)
2 answers Last reply
More about restarting

    Sounds like the Sasser virus. Is your Norton up to date?

    Click here:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html

    Bill Crocker

    "Pink Sparkle Girl" <mydeadbaby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My PC keeps restarting! It mainly does it when I turn it on for the first
    > time each day. It restarts about twice while booting up, then maybe
    > another
    > 2 or 3 times during the next half hour (with more restarting while
    > rebooting). It has done it for the last 2 weeks or so since the weather
    > has
    > been getting colder.
    >
    > It has always had a few problems since it was built (1 1/2 years ago) if
    > turned off for any length of time, but up until recently had settled down.
    >
    > I have run several virus scans with Norton (making sure they are up to
    > date), but found nothing. I can't update to SP2 because it causes XP to
    > pause for a second or two constantly, so had to remove it (another
    > irritating problem - it loaded fine, just didn't work properly and I tried
    > it twice).
    >
    > I recently had 3 emails sent to me with a virus in (can't remember the
    > name)
    > which Norton had trouble with. It deleted 2 of 3 files, but I had to
    > delete
    > a file left in the temp folder and the emails themselves. No remains were
    > found afterwards. I deactivated System Restore as indicated by Norton, did
    > full scan and found nothing, then reactivated System Restore (this is the
    > point that the problems occurred so I can't go back to a previous state
    > when
    > the problem didn't exist as it erased them all when deactivated).
    >
    > Any advice would be gratefully received as I want to sort this out!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sarah
    >
    > (I emailed Microsoft with the problem I have with SP2 (the pausing) and
    > their advice was to install SP2! Crazy - do they not actually read the
    > emails!?)

    I have a similar problem. My PC keeps shutting down and restarting obver
    and over. Once its up and before i can click on any icon it says "system
    shutting down. RPC (remote porcedure call service terminated

    --
    sunil dhingra

Microsoft Windows XP