  • Event Viewer
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
October 12, 2004 1:20:14 PM

All,

I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.

Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my Event
Viewer Log:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition, and
E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.

Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
extended partition/logical drive.

Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?

I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
event viewer...can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance...

kirbalo

More about : diskeeper event viewer message

October 12, 2004 2:37:29 PM

Start/Run/chkdsk /r and let it run next time you boot.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>
> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
> Event Viewer Log:
>
> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>
> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
> extended partition/logical drive.
>
> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>
> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
> event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> kirbalo

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:37:30 PM

I have run chkdsk in the past...it fixes it for a while...but then the bad
blocks start showing up again.

I can't figure out which Harddisk is the problem...

"Peter" <noSpam@dotnet> wrote in message
> Start/Run/chkdsk /r and let it run next time you boot.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>>
>> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
>> Event Viewer Log:
>>
>> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

>> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
>> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>>
>> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
>> extended partition/logical drive.
>>
>> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>>
>> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in
>> the event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> kirbalo

October 12, 2004 3:14:23 PM

> I have run chkdsk in the past...it fixes it for a while...but then the bad
> blocks start showing up again.
>
> I can't figure out which Harddisk is the problem...

Pop out to a command prompt and run Diskpart, and use the List command.
This may give you more information as to the identity of the disks.

HTH
-pk

<snip>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:14:24 PM

Thanks...I tried that, but it just confirms what I already know from the
"Computer Management" screen in WinXP. It does tell me "volume"
information, but it's not relevant to my error message.

"Test User" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have run chkdsk in the past...it fixes it for a while...but then the
>> bad
>> blocks start showing up again.
>>
>> I can't figure out which Harddisk is the problem...

> Pop out to a command prompt and run Diskpart, and use the List command.
> This may give you more information as to the identity of the disks.
>
> HTH
> -pk
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:33:16 PM

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>
> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
> Event Viewer Log:
>
> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>
> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
> extended partition/logical drive.
>
> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>
> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
> event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> kirbalo

why don't you just run scandisk and let it fix the error?
Alasdair
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:34:51 PM

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>
> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
> Event Viewer Log:
>
> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>
> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
> extended partition/logical drive.
>
> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>
> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
> event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> kirbalo

oops chkdsk
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:34:52 PM

I know how to run chkdsk...that's not my question...

I'm trying to determine which disc continues to have problems.

"Alasdair" <alasdair@digitalREMOVEMEmystic.co. uk> wrote in message

> www.digitalmystic.co.uk
>
> "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>>
>> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
>> Event Viewer Log:
>>
>> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

>> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
>> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>>
>> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
>> extended partition/logical drive.
>>
>> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>>
>> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in
>> the event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> kirbalo
>>
> oops chkdsk

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:47:49 PM

HDD 0 is usually your 1st drive, the one with the OS on it.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message news:evOFYaGsEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| All,
|
| I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
|
| Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my Event
| Viewer Log:
|
| The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
|
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|

| The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition, and
| E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
|
| Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
| extended partition/logical drive.
|
| Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
|
| I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
| event viewer...can anyone clarify?
|
| Thanks in advance...
|
| kirbalo

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:13:09 AM

I agree...the conflict is that \Device\Harddisk0\D doesn't make sense. If
it said \C or \E or \F I would be OK...but \D is on Harddisk1.

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
column shows the drive #s.

HDD 0 is usually your 1st drive, the one with the OS on it.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
| All,
|
| I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
|
| Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
Event
| Viewer Log:
|
| The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
|
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|

| The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
and
| E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
|
| Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
| extended partition/logical drive.
|
| Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
|
| I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
| event viewer...can anyone clarify?
|
| Thanks in advance...
|
| kirbalo

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:51:17 AM

kirbalo wrote:
> All,
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
>
> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in
> my Event Viewer Log:
>
> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary
> partition, and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
>
> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as
> the extended partition/logical drive.
>
> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
>
> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message
> in the event viewer...can anyone clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> kirbalo

If it is identifying it as hard disk 0, it most likely is your system drive,
the one containing your C: drive.

--
Don Burnette
Anonymous

I just reread your OP. I think that it has to do with "Extended partitions/logical drives".

Did you have both drives in place when you created the extended partition on HDD 0?

Did you create the primary on HDD 1 before creating the extended partition on HDD 0 or after?

An extended partition is useful IF you need more than 4 partitions on a single drive, you only have 3 on HDD 0 and 2 on HDD 1. Take a look at this article http://fdisk.radified.com/ some of the information may be helpful.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff