Diskeeper Event Viewer Message???

All,

I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.

Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my Event
Viewer Log:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition, and
E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.

Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
extended partition/logical drive.

Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?

I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
event viewer...can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance...

kirbalo
11 answers Last reply
More about diskeeper event viewer message

    Start/Run/chkdsk /r and let it run next time you boot.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    >
    > Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
    > Event Viewer Log:
    >
    > The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

    > The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
    > and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    >
    > Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    > extended partition/logical drive.
    >
    > Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    >
    > I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
    > event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > kirbalo

    I have run chkdsk in the past...it fixes it for a while...but then the bad
    blocks start showing up again.

    I can't figure out which Harddisk is the problem...

    > I have run chkdsk in the past...it fixes it for a while...but then the bad
    > blocks start showing up again.
    >
    > I can't figure out which Harddisk is the problem...

    Pop out to a command prompt and run Diskpart, and use the List command.
    This may give you more information as to the identity of the disks.

    HTH
    -pk

    <snip>

    Thanks...I tried that, but it just confirms what I already know from the
    "Computer Management" screen in WinXP. It does tell me "volume"
    information, but it's not relevant to my error message.

    www.digitalmystic.co.uk

    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    >
    > Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
    > Event Viewer Log:
    >
    > The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

    > The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
    > and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    >
    > Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    > extended partition/logical drive.
    >
    > Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    >
    > I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
    > event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > kirbalo

    why don't you just run scandisk and let it fix the error?
    Alasdair

    www.digitalmystic.co.uk

    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    >
    > Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
    > Event Viewer Log:
    >
    > The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

    > The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
    > and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    >
    > Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    > extended partition/logical drive.
    >
    > Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    >
    > I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
    > event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > kirbalo

    oops chkdsk

    I know how to run chkdsk...that's not my question...

    I'm trying to determine which disc continues to have problems.

    "Alasdair" <alasdair@digitalREMOVEMEmystic.co. uk> wrote in message

    > www.digitalmystic.co.uk
    >
    > "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    >>
    >> Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
    >> Event Viewer Log:
    >>
    >> The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

    >> The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
    >> and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    >>
    >> Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    >> extended partition/logical drive.
    >>
    >> Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    >>
    >> I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in
    >> the event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance...
    >>
    >> kirbalo
    >>
    > oops chkdsk

    HDD 0 is usually your 1st drive, the one with the OS on it.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message news:evOFYaGsEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | All,
    |
    | I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    |
    | Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my Event
    | Viewer Log:
    |
    | The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    |

    | The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition, and
    | E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    |
    | Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    | extended partition/logical drive.
    |
    | Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    |
    | I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
    | event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    |
    | Thanks in advance...
    |
    | kirbalo

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I agree...the conflict is that \Device\Harddisk0\D doesn't make sense. If
    it said \C or \E or \F I would be OK...but \D is on Harddisk1.

    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
    column shows the drive #s.

    HDD 0 is usually your 1st drive, the one with the OS on it.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | All,
    |
    | I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    |
    | Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in my
    Event
    | Viewer Log:
    |
    | The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    |

    | The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary partition,
    and
    | E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    |
    | Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as the
    | extended partition/logical drive.
    |
    | Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    |
    | I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message in the
    | event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    |
    | Thanks in advance...
    |
    | kirbalo

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    kirbalo wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro SP-2 on an Athlon XP 2600+.
    >
    > Diskeeper 8.0 runs every night as required. I get the following in
    > my Event Viewer Log:
    >
    > The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

    > The problem is, Disk0 is a 60GB drive with C:\ as the primary
    > partition, and E:\ and F:\ as Extended partitions/logical drives.
    >
    > Disc1 is a 120GB drive with D:\ as the primary partition, and G:\ as
    > the extended partition/logical drive.
    >
    > Harddisk0\D doesn't make any sense to me...?
    >
    > I can't figure out which drive has the problem based on the message
    > in the event viewer...can anyone clarify?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > kirbalo

    If it is identifying it as hard disk 0, it most likely is your system drive,
    the one containing your C: drive.

    --
    Don Burnette
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I just reread your OP. I think that it has to do with "Extended partitions/logical drives".

    Did you have both drives in place when you created the extended partition on HDD 0?

    Did you create the primary on HDD 1 before creating the extended partition on HDD 0 or after?

    An extended partition is useful IF you need more than 4 partitions on a single drive, you only have 3 on HDD 0 and 2 on HDD 1. Take a look at this article http://fdisk.radified.com/ some of the information may be helpful.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "kirbalo" <kpa@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23ngHSHMsEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    |I agree...the conflict is that \Device\Harddisk0\D doesn't make sense. If
    | it said \C or \E or \F I would be OK...but \D is on Harddisk1.

Event Viewer Partition Windows XP