Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The hardest video game ever?!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 6, 2011 4:27:32 PM

So apparently the hardest game is this one called "Dark Souls", made by Japanese game studio From Software.

Apparently, it is simply impossible to avoid dying excessively and you should expect your character to die a horrible death any time with almost no places to save a game and no pause game. If you die, level resets and you will have to kill the monsters all over again. Simply crazy!! :pt1cable: 

This game is not for casual gamer. You will never finish it. Only attempt it if you are the hardcorest of the hardcorest rpg gamer and love to take on a near impossible challenge.

About myself:

I recently took the position of community reporter and one of my duty is to encourage thoughtful discussion in the sub forums in the software section. This is my first news report in the section I am reporting to. I hope everyone will have a good time reading the original article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/is-dark-souls...

as well as share your thought and experience on this game or other similar hard to beat game.

Let the discussion begin!

More about : hardest video game

October 6, 2011 6:07:36 PM

welcome to the post, i'm findig witcher 2 on hard much too hard, especially compared to witcher 1.
m
0
l
October 6, 2011 7:29:19 PM

the boss battles on Deus Ex:HR very nasty
m
0
l
Related resources
October 7, 2011 9:18:23 AM

Resident Evil series was really tough for me especially when the chainsaw guy appears and i had only hand gun ammo left with me.

Forgot to add Fallout 3 which was really tough on hard level atleast for me!!!!!!!
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 11:43:32 AM

Popeye on level 11! :D  Seriously!
Tomb Raider, Underworld: for the zillion attempts you have to make to get over an obstacle (just like the half life portal jump stated above)
At times, GTA4
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 1:57:27 PM

I'm going to go old school on the hardest game i think i have played and go with Prince Of Persia - The Sands of Time.
There were parts in that game that took way too many tried to get through. And at times you would get so frustrated trying you would just stop playing the game for a week or so in order to resist the urges to trow your controller through the TV.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 2:11:44 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
+1

I quit the game entirely when I couldn't get through the pillar room after transforming the first time.


LOL, i actually still have it, and still have not finished. I just finally gave up and moved on to another game.

m
0
l
October 7, 2011 2:44:04 PM

dark souls isnt supposed to be impossible, and dying is only as often as the player is careful; if you run around and slash you will die. It is completely about using the skills you have and being patient to beat your enemies.... honestly it sounds satisfying
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 8:05:38 PM

Sands of Time is old school? Whoa, I must be ancient. I've beat that many times, and it's always fun for a quick run-through. The game itself isn't so challenging as sometimes dealing with camera that doesn't always present the best view of the action.

Thing is, "hard" and "difficult" can come in many different forms. There's "Nintendo Hard" where the game mechanics themselves were just completely unforgiving. Miss a jump, you die. Touch those spikes, you die. Touch an enemy, game over. If you're going for that, I believe Rygar is often considered the most difficult game ever since you have one life, no saves, and no continues. Then again, I'd like to see someone beat the original Contra without the 30 lives cheat. The original Final Fantasy was very hard on the final levels since it was very possible to die far away from a save point ( read, local inn. )

Then you've got games that are genuinely challenging, where it's not about how much you play or how fast you can react, it's about learning to be smart and finding effective techniques to different problems.

As for Dark Souls, no, it's not impossible. Demon's Souls, it's predicessor, is one of my faves. Will you die? Yes. A lot? Yes. Like every five minutes? Only if you're stupid. Have I beat it? Yes.

Flint has it right, you have to be smart. Neither of these games are run-through hack-and-slash. The game is very unforgiving, but it also rewards the player for learning how to defeat enemies. At almost any point in the game, you can be killed by a single attack. However, you can also kill just about every enemy with a single attack as well. If you watch your enemies and learn their moves, you'll learn how to block and deflect their attacks and then counter-attack with a critical. The "hard" part goes both ways.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 6:20:29 AM

Ignoring bugs, faulty, and incomplete games. Disregarding games based on competition and high scores. To complete single player, of all the games I've played, the most difficult is VVVVVV.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 7:21:26 AM

anyoneplay V on the C64, that was bitchingly hard, pre FAQs and no real instuctions as to what the point was.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 7:27:08 AM

Is vvvvvv now a freeware? I want to give it a try.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 9:52:42 AM

Dark Souls is at least possible to beat without god-like reflexes, or memorizing the levels. Try beating Battletoads on the NES. A game infamous for vehicle stages that require you to memorize the courses, insanely difficult platforming and fighting, a Co-op mode that makes things even more difficult, as the players can harm each other, and thanks to a bug, the game can't be beaten in co-op mode. Even using a cheating device, it is still a considerable achievement to beat that game.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 4:42:32 PM

LOL, no your not ancient RedJaron. That game is just old by todays standards. My first video game system was Pong (no joke), and we thought that was revolutionary until of course the Atari 2600 hit the scene.
As for the C64, well there were a few games i just couldn't stop playing like Bruce Lee, Rambo, Karateka, Forbidden Forest, & Impossible Mission just to name a few. Man, i thought i was king of the neiborhood when i got one of those, LOL.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 5:25:32 PM

on the C65, the hardest game i played was Predator...once you got into the laser sights u died, there was no way to avoid it.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 5:27:04 PM

anyone remember superman 64? now that *** was impossible to beat
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 6:47:10 PM

steimy said:
LOL, no your not ancient RedJaron. That game is just old by todays standards. My first video game system was Pong (no joke), and we thought that was revolutionary until of course the Atari 2600 hit the scene.
As for the C64, wee there were a few games i just couldn't stop playing like Bruce Lee, Rambo, Karateka, Forbidden Forest, & Impossible Mission just to name a few. Man, i thought i was king of the neiborhood when i got one of those, LOL.
Never had money as a kid for the 2600 games we wanted, but someone gave us a C64 and a big game library. Ah the days of Jumpman, Ghostbusters, Castle Wolfenstein ( the ORIGINAL, ) and Beachhead . . .
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 11:14:27 AM

I Wanna Be the Guy

Sure, it was a little indie game who's only gimmick was unfair difficulty, but I think it's worth mentioning.

For a dose of fair difficulty try Super Meat Boy.
m
0
l
October 12, 2011 8:03:14 AM

I have to agree with the OP. Dark Souls is ridiculous. The official tagline "Prepare to Die" is just gravy.

Its predecessor "Demon's Souls" (very awkward title) is much more groin-grabbingly frustrating.

Good game though. :D 
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 6:03:03 AM

RedJaron said:
Thing is, "hard" and "difficult" can come in many different forms. There's "Nintendo Hard" where the game mechanics themselves were just completely unforgiving. Miss a jump, you die. Touch those spikes, you die. Touch an enemy, game over. If you're going for that, I believe Rygar is often considered the most difficult game ever since you have one life, no saves, and no continues. Then again, I'd like to see someone beat the original Contra without the 30 lives cheat. The original Final Fantasy was very hard on the final levels since it was very possible to die far away from a save point ( read, local inn. )


I found the original Final Fantasy to be quite easy actually, outside 2 select areas (the ice cavern due to a certain enemy that likes using "rub"), and the final dungeon. Then again, having level 50 by the Terra Caverns before defeating the vampire does have its benefits. If you create 2 warriors, a red mage, and a white mage to start with, the game is very easy.

I have several hard games. Jak 2 (the first, Jak and Daxter, was quite easy), Metroid Prime (Flaagra, that rock-based boss, and one other boss took 15 tries to finally defeat (and only just barely), plus, some areas were frustratingly difficult to get through and it's this latter case that made me give up on that game (I'm at the point where there's "unusual phazon")), and the original Rayman (it's way too time consuming to get extra lives and spike-heavy levels made me otherwise give up on it) are my top 3 most difficult. My most difficult RPG I've played is Final Fantasy 5, though still, heavy powerleveling made this game not all that bad. My most difficult platformer is Skullmonkeys, but thanks to handy tricks to getting extra lives, the last few worlds were no big problem, despite losing 60 lives on the final level in the game (from temporary platforms and less predictable jumping due to moving platforms).
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 9:28:38 AM

Howabout Assassin's Creed series without a walkthrough...making your way through the numbers puzzle.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 9:56:07 AM

kingice10 said:
Howabout Assassin's Creed series without a walkthrough...making your way through the numbers puzzle.



The AC series is more repetitive than difficult, imo. You end up doing the same stuff again and again and yet again.....and when you're finally near the brink, you do them yet again!! That gets pretty frustrating for me! [:aford10:1]

That apart, I still say its a darn neat game!
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 10:06:36 AM

AC 1 was repetitive but not AC2. In fact AC 2 was one of the best game of 2009 that redefined the series and it was not difficult to play and imo it was very easy to play!!!!!!!!!!!
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 10:30:40 AM

rocky41 said:
AC 1 was repetitive but not AC2. In fact AC 2 was one of the best game of 2009 that redefined the series and it was not difficult to play and imo it was very easy to play!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't much like AC2. Somehow being a suave assassin that is good with the ladies dumbed down the believability factor. I felt like puss in boots the entire game
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 10:42:59 AM

Well, i loved the game. Everything about the game was addicting whether it was its music, story, gameplay everything. The starting part of the game while growing up, mainly Firenze part was awesome and the puzzles were really addicting at least for me. I never played a game like that before and it felt like being a part of the game, maybe its my style of playing. but I loved it and i am very much looking forward to Revelations.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 6:20:12 PM

ulillillia said:
I found the original Final Fantasy to be quite easy actually, outside 2 select areas (the ice cavern due to a certain enemy that likes using "rub"), and the final dungeon. Then again, having level 50 by the Terra Caverns before defeating the vampire does have its benefits. ... My most difficult RPG I've played is Final Fantasy 5, though still, heavy powerleveling made this game not all that bad.

Umm, power-leveling can be the "key" to just about any RPG, particularly the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Demon's Souls, of course the challenge goes away if you're willing to while away hours on leveling.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 11:04:23 PM

Dark Soul's is the Sequel to Demon's Souls.

Follows the same premise, that game was challenging but not impossible.

GC++++++++++ in Demon's Souls got interesting. The game is a must play for any PS3 console owner who is looking for an excellent game.
m
0
l
October 24, 2011 9:02:03 AM

I've been playing Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PS3 the past few days and am finding it pretty tough even on Rookie level! You just end up trying again and again and again!

Anyone else tried the game yet? It's quite a beauty though!
m
0
l
October 24, 2011 1:51:00 PM

have not, but i was very interested when i saw a few previews
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 9:11:40 AM

Hell shooters anyone??
mushihimesama FUTARI
Kazio Mario
Midnight Club 2 the last levels
Blinx the time sweeper last levels
Ninja Gaiden the xbox version
battletoads on the snes cant remember which version
Touhou series on insane mode
^^^^ these are all the games i find retardedly hard
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:03:16 AM

god of war on god mode.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 3:04:57 AM

but really i guess that doesnt count since it has varying difficulty id have to say dark souls. im stuck in blight town right now and just cannot do it.
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 9:04:06 PM

Zelda Ocarina of time water puzzle...that puzzle made me throw the controller down in hatred and I never did finish that game.

FFVII end fight. I never finished it. I had watched one friend defeat the last boss and it was like going to the movies. Took him 45mins to beat. I just didn't have the patience for that.

m
0
l
November 2, 2011 9:18:06 PM

zaskar36 said:
FFVII end fight. I never finished it. I had watched one friend defeat the last boss and it was like going to the movies. Took him 45mins to beat. I just didn't have the patience for that.

If you took the time to do some side quests, you can hit the Northern Cave around level 75 and it's not so bad. If you take the power leveling route, once you pass level 85, it's pretty easy. If you hit the mid 90s, you can almost one-shot him.

PS, kudos on the Last Starfighter avatar!
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 2:09:06 AM

RedJaron said:
Umm, power-leveling can be the "key" to just about any RPG, particularly the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Demon's Souls, of course the challenge goes away if you're willing to while away hours on leveling.



The difficultly slider in Oblivion is a --expletive-- man.
It literally multiplies their hp and attacking ability xD
Especially if you have the elys unlock mod installed. That mod modifies the hard-coded caps and makes it so monsters (and npcs) can have stats and levels up to 200. With relevant bonuses.

Gah. Level 50 difficulty slider max. Elys mod activated. O.O ..I'm gonna try it in the ~console oO just to find out P:


Tales of Symphonia battle with the owner of the Nebilim, Abbysion.

That guy has around 1500-2000 attack at least on normal, and he gets more powerful with every attack that hits you; as the Nebilim absorbs the damage it does to enemies and adds to it's own power. (literally! some weird % or something) I could only beat him with an item that cuts all attack power in the battle by 50% (player and opponents), I used 3 of them! It took 32 minutes! And I got -10 grade for the battle. (died so many times, revive ftw)

When the main character wields the Nebilim after that battle all the dam it gave to you in the battle against you is added to it's power, so It easily does 1000+ dam even with it's 0 attack stat. har
I beat it again my next play through with only 2 of those items; and when I could wield the Nebilim it was double the power of last time xD
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 3:49:20 AM

You want a hard game to play try playing Arma2 without doing the tutorial, or EVE online with no one to tell you what the heck is going on.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 4:42:10 AM

NoUserBar said:
The difficultly slider in Oblivion is a --expletive-- man.
It literally multiplies their hp and attacking ability xD
Especially if you have the elys unlock mod installed. That mod modifies the hard-coded caps and makes it so monsters (and npcs) can have stats and levels up to 200. With relevant bonuses.

Gah. Level 50 difficulty slider max. Elys mod activated. O.O ..I'm gonna try it in the ~console oO just to find out P:


Tales of Symphonia battle with the owner of the Nebilim, Abbysion.

That guy has around 1500-2000 attack at least on normal, and he gets more powerful with every attack that hits you; as the Nebilim absorbs the damage it does to enemies and adds to it's own power. (literally! some weird % or something) I could only beat him with an item that cuts all attack power in the battle by 50% (player and opponents), I used 3 of them! It took 32 minutes! And I got -10 grade for the battle. (died so many times, revive ftw)

When the main character wields the Nebilim after that battle all the dam it gave to you in the battle against you is added to it's power, so It easily does 1000+ dam even with it's 0 attack stat. har
I beat it again my next play through with only 2 of those items; and when I could wield the Nebilim it was double the power of last time xD


Abyssion is actually quite easy if you use Collette's Toss Hammer exploit. Hit him with Toss Hammer, and his HP will be drained away at an exponentially increasing rate. All you have to do is survive while his health drains.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 2:49:13 PM

i'm currently playing dark souls myself and while i can say that it is brutally unforgiving to people who rush or those that aren't paying atention AND the fact that it is harder than the previous title demon's souls it isn't even close to being the hardest game ever made.

the game might make you want to snap your controller in half or rage quit but in almost all cases of death outside a boss battle its your own fault for dying not the games difficulty. even boss battles are not terrible if you prepare for them and learn the attack sequences.

no, there are games out there that i personally found so rediculous that i had to stop playing completely. of the games i've played personally i would have to say ninja gaiden sigma was the hardest (i never got past the 2nd "zone")
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 3:07:00 PM

ssddx said:
the game might make you want to snap your controller in half or rage quit but in almost all cases of death outside a boss battle its your own fault for dying not the games difficulty. even boss battles are not terrible if you prepare for them and learn the attack sequences.
Precisely, you never feel like the game is cheating, which unfortunately can be felt in so many other games.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 5:33:14 PM

just adding to the number of enemies or bulking up the stats of enemies so they completely overpower you isn't difficult, its frustrating. now, dark souls does have a few traps where you get swamped...but in general it is just the fact that the foes are a bit unpredictable that makes them so difficult.

how many times did the starter zombies leap on you or frenzy attack and get through your defenses? enough said!

it helps that you can heal yourself in ds, in ninja gaiden the healing was pathetic.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 7:19:26 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Abyssion is actually quite easy if you use Collette's Toss Hammer exploit. Hit him with Toss Hammer, and his HP will be drained away at an exponentially increasing rate. All you have to do is survive while his health drains.

Oh yeah, I heard about that one, but I never could quite figure out what that exploit was. How to do it, the concept behind it etc. So I did it the normal way.
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 11:11:52 PM

If MMO's count... Final Fantasy XI's 'Pandemonium Warden' before the nerf. One Linkshell (or guild) of 28 people fought it for 18hours straight before quitting due to stress and fatigue. Probably would have taken 20hrs to take down. And this was with all 28+ toons at the level cap, with a lot of the best available gear in the game at the time. God I miss that game. But it took 7years of my life, thats enough.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 6:48:11 PM

Pitfall on the Atari 2600 - now that's old school!
Dave
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 10:29:44 PM

Hugo's house of horrors.
If you get one thing wrong, thats it!
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 1:13:52 PM

Super Meat Boy anyone?
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 1:21:19 PM

joedastudd said:
Super Meat Boy anyone?


haha thats probably one of the most frustrating game I've ever played on.
m
0
l
March 16, 2013 5:55:53 PM


tjosborne said:
god of war on god mode.

WTF are u talking about (sorry for the language)? The hardest difficulties in the GoW saga have always been the best. I felt immortal when playing on easier difficulties.
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 3:54:54 PM

Pyree said:
So apparently the hardest game is this one called "Dark Souls", made by Japanese game studio From Software.

Apparently, it is simply impossible to avoid dying excessively and you should expect your character to die a horrible death any time with almost no places to save a game and no pause game. If you die, level resets and you will have to kill the monsters all over again. Simply crazy!! :pt1cable: 

This game is not for casual gamer. You will never finish it. Only attempt it if you are the hardcorest of the hardcorest rpg gamer and love to take on a near impossible challenge.

About myself:

I recently took the position of community reporter and one of my duty is to encourage thoughtful discussion in the sub forums in the software section. This is my first news report in the section I am reporting to. I hope everyone will have a good time reading the original article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/is-dark-souls...

as well as share your thought and experience on this game or other similar hard to beat game.

Let the discussion begin!


Wazzuh! I love a good challenge, but that just sounds bladdy annoying? I basically have one simple rule when it comes to games I will play and that is - If I start aging at an un-natural pace and I notice hair recession where no girl should ever recede? Then I gotta stop, destroy game in question and move onto something like Kingdom Hearts just to chill. I'll probably also eat some ice-cream or something :) 

check out my gaming blog www.videogame-tester.com it's all pretty an' all :D 


m
0
l
March 25, 2013 6:05:05 PM

For a Fantastic hard time? Try playing the original Phantasy Star Online episodes I & II on the 3rd and 4th difficulties with a HUNAWERL (the equivalent of a Red Mage?) ...well balanced for parties, useless solo/offline. Your stats are so slow to come becuase suddenly you need an EDGE and yet you're only average. Oh, and you can't EVEN HIT THE END BOSS on the 3rd difficulty til your level 75 but running through the game only gets you to LVL 50 Muah ha ha ha! PSO-2 has come out this year and i haven't even finished the first one after ten years! I think I got my $50 worth of entertainment.
m
0
l
March 25, 2013 7:31:23 PM

Old old school Star Wars shadows of the empire on hard. I spent a lifetime on that game ;p like seriously the levels took forever and were like giant mazes and on hard the surprises made it nearly impossible.
m
0
l
!