Differences between ABIT KG7 & KG7-LITE ??

I have read in ABIT`s web that apart from the number of memory slots there is another difference between them:

KG7-LITE:
Functions
Two channels of Bus Master IDE Ports supporting up to 4 Ultra DMA 33/66/100

KG7:
Functions
Four channels of Bus Master IDE Ports supporting up to 4 Ultra DMA 33/66/100.

Does the number of channels make the performance of the mobo change? What is the difference beetween having 2 or 4 channels?

Thanks for any answer given.
Good luck.
4 answers Last reply
More about differences abit lite
  1. like you said lite has only 2 memslots raid has 4
    lite has 2 ide channels (upto 4 devices)udma 33/66 speed
    you can put udma100 device in these channels but 66 is the max transfer rate
    kg7 raid has 4 ide channels 2 as per lite + 2 udma 33/66/100 +raid (upto 8 devices)
    the 2 extra channels will transfer upto 100max mb/s
    preformance should be the same (if your not using raid) as hds rarely transfer faster than 66mb/s anyway!!
  2. A Quote from the KG7/KG7-Raid user's manual Page 1-3, Section 5 (Multi I/O Functions):

"Two channels of Bus Master IDE ports supporting up to four Ultra DMA 33/66/100 devices (KG7)

And two channels (IDE3 & IDE4) of Bus Master IDE ports supporting up to four Ultra DMA 33/66/100 specifications HDD devices (KG7-Raid Only)"

I personally like the extra IDE channels because I don't have to run anything as a SLAVE. While I don't really have a good reason to believe this is better... some superstitions must be respected..

I think Mark was remembering the K<b>T</b>7 MoBo where you would have to buy the Raid version to get ATA 100. No, I am not trying to be a smartazz, just suffered the same confusion lately...

hope this helps!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Insidious on 09/22/01 07:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. your right insidious kg7-lite does support udma100
    spose i should have read the manual ?????
  4. Well Mark, you gottta know I'm not gonna give you any crap about it. You have given me way too much good advise for that!

Errrg, I gotta go mow the yard :/

Happy 'putin to all!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Bus DMA