Configuration of the System Configure Utility

October 12, 2004 2:39:05 PM

I recall somewhere, but off hand don't remember where, that you can remove
unwanted start-up programs from the listing in the start-up window. I did
this before but lost the note card it was on with the instructions on how to
do it.

Where do I go to remove these programs from the start-up listing? (i.e., I
have disabled mmtask, a MusicMatch startup program, and I don't want it to
show up in the list anymore).

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:52:32 PM

"Psyberwolf" <psyberwolf@iwon.com> wrote in message
> I recall somewhere, but off hand don't remember where, that you can remove
> unwanted start-up programs from the listing in the start-up window. I did
> this before but lost the note card it was on with the instructions on how
> do it.
>
> Where do I go to remove these programs from the start-up listing? (i.e., I
> have disabled mmtask, a MusicMatch startup program, and I don't want it to
> show up in the list anymore).
>
> Thanks in advance!

If you've disabled it via msconfig, one way is to re-enable it, then restart
the system. Re-open msconfig and note the location of the mmtask entry,
probably KMLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. Delete it
from there via regedit and on restart it'll be gone.

HTH
-pk
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:04:26 PM

The correct way to prevent a program from starting with Windows is to open
the program and go through its menus, looking for the option to stop the
program from starting with Windows. (This option is typically found in a
menu selection called Options or Preferences.)

If there is no option in the menus, open your Startup folder (Start > All
Programs > Startup) and remove the program's shortcut.

If neither of the above offer a permanent solution, your remaining choices
are to edit the registry or contact the software's technical support group.
Editing the registry is risky; you're better off with technical support.

If, on the other hand, the program you want to correct is a virus or spyware
then you will have a very difficult time preventing the program from
starting with Windows. This software is designed to resist attempts to
tamper with it.

The Startup tab in the System Configuration Utility was designed for
troubleshooting, and not as a way to permanently prevent a program from
starting with Windows. It interferes with the program's normal operation by
preventing it from starting with Windows. Better to do things the right way.
-
Ted Zieglar

"Psyberwolf" <psyberwolf@iwon.com> wrote in message
> I recall somewhere, but off hand don't remember where, that you can remove
> unwanted start-up programs from the listing in the start-up window. I did
> this before but lost the note card it was on with the instructions on how
> do it.
>
> Where do I go to remove these programs from the start-up listing? (i.e., I
> have disabled mmtask, a MusicMatch startup program, and I don't want it to
> show up in the list anymore).
>
> Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 1:47:00 PM

Clean-up the MSCONFIG startup tab listings - XP:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/MSCONFIG.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k