KG7 and 1.4g Athlon

G

I am attempting to insert a 1.4 gig Athlon into a brand new ABIT KG7 motherboard. My problem is this - the chip inserts beautifully into the ZIF but when I try to close the lever, it stops at 15 degrees from vertical. An appreciable amount of pressure (from my point of view) doesn't make much progress in closing the lever further.

Question: Is this simply "sticksion" that's preventing the lever from closing because it's a new motherboard? Or could I do real damage to the CPU if I try to apply more pressure?

The chip is aligned correctly in the ZIF - everything and everyone who's seen it verifies that fact. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
you will proberly find the temp probe in the center of the zif socket is sticking up slightly proud & hitting the underneath of the cpu
you can gently bend it over slightly so the cpu will seat properly but it needs to be touching the cpu to give accurate cpu temp readings

G

The latching thingy on the connector is probably causing this. when you bring down the lever, (don't forget to be holding down the chip so the sensor doesn't cock it) also move it outward just a little to clear the latching tab. Then it should go down the rest of the way easily.

When you want to remove the chip remember this or you will break the lever by forcing it straight up.