tyan the only mobos w/ 64bit pci?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i've been searching the past two days, this would be a big thing for me. but so far i've only seen tyan's boards with these pci's, anyone know different? thanks.

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

why do you want a board with 64bit pci slots? you have no need for them and the cards are very expensive right now anyway. I wouldn't even bother with it. There are other boards that have 64bit pci slots but thats because those are server boards and there is a reason why only server boards have 64bit pci slots and that has a lot to do with price. Companies can afford to fork up bucks for this stuff, you the consumer do not. I don't think you wanna pay for the premium of the cost of those cards. I wouldn't even bother with them.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I won't question your desire to use 64-bit PCI as we have been building an ever larger number of 66MHz PCI bus systems in the past 6 to 8 months. Most requests come from people that want to exploit the dramatic performance issues relative to both multimedia workstation and high performance server configurations.

There are actually quite a few choices now, here a few:

Asus CUR-DLS, Dual P3 - FCPGA, with ServerWorks ServerSet III LE 3.0 chipset, up to 4GB PC133 HSDRAM and LSI 64/32-bit Ultra2 SCSI.

Tyan Thunder 2500 motherboard (S1867DLUAN) using the Server Works (RCC) Server Set III HE chipset. Dual Slot 1, 100/133 MHz FSB, supports up to 8GB Memory in matched pairs (ONLY), 1 AGP 2x , 6 64bit PCI, 1 shared PCI/ISA slot(s). On-Board U2 SCSI, Sound, LAN. It's a monster using the Extended ATX Form Factor.

Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) having dual-processor platform support for the AMD Athlon MP processor. Too many features to list here, this is now my favorite.

Gigabyte GA-6EXDR using the ServerWorks ServerSet™ III LE Chipset. This is a rack-mountable motherboard.

Gigabyte GA-6ETXDR Supports Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine and Tualatin socket 370 CPUs using the ServerWorks ServerSet III LE Chipset and the LSI Symbios 53C1010-66 Chipset.

Intel Server Board STL2 for Intel Pentium III Processors uses ServerWorks ServerSet III LE Chipset, or the even better Intel Server Board SBT2 for the Intel Pentium III Xeon Processor.

On the Alpha front, you can also checkout, http://www.alpha-processor.com/. They have a few motherboards using 64-bit PCI.

We've built systems using all of these boards. I have to say that at this time, I really like both the Alpha based products as well as the AMD 761 based Tyan board. I personally think the ServerWorks chipsets are pretty sluggish. While they give you the features, the performance is not what we expected to see, but again, that's just my opinion.

There are other boards out there as well, but I've only listed the boards that we have tested and used.

Good Luck

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hey, thanks for the nice list and great info. sorry i forgot to mention, looking at an amd based mobo. but i was considering the tiger(24xx?) is it? but wasn't sure if i wanted to go duals or not. and after some thinking i figured i would just go with a single amd comp, and keep this machine (dual p3 850's) for a render/internet box. but i will still take a look at those boards, who knows i just might change my mind again! i need to hurry up and buy something before i do :p

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Um, why don't you check out SUPERMICRO ? I have a SM PIIIDRE
Dual Slot 1 i840 mobo with 2 64Bit 66MHz PCI slots.

www.supermicro.com

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"