vgabak.exe is using 2-90% of my cpu

I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about vgabak

    The first thing to do is boot into Safe Mode, search for "vgabak.exe"
    and delete it. Other suggestions:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

    Virus Removal Tools
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Online Virus Removal Tutorials
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/virusremoval/virusremoval_info_tutorial.html

    3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    There is a very helpful virus removal newsgroup you may wish to post to:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "clueless" wrote:

    | I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
    | it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
    | thanks

    Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm

    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    Good Luck!
    ---
    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):

    "clueless" wrote:

    > I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
    > it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
    > thanks

    Thanks,

    After at least twelve hours on the phone and exhausting 3 different helpful
    Dell techs, I was told that I would need to reinstall windows. For my last
    attempt, i checked out fixyourwindows.com and followed the instructions to
    run regedit and deleted "vgabak" from the registry everywhere i saw it. When
    I noticed there was one key that everytime I deleted it, it immediately
    reappeared, I checked out the listed location in c:windows\web... No sign of
    a "vgabak" file, but there was a suspicious looking .tmp file that kept
    changing size. Without really knowing what I was doing I rebooted in safe
    mode, was able to delete the .tmp file and the vgabak.exe file, and now
    everything seems to be ok. Thanks again for your help everyone.

    "r" wrote:

    > Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm
    >
    > Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    > (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > ---
    > How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    > for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com
    >

    > "clueless" wrote:
    >
    > > I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
    > > it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
    > > thanks

CPUs Microsoft Windows XP