Clueless

I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
thanks

The first thing to do is boot into Safe Mode, search for "vgabak.exe"
and delete it. Other suggestions:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

Virus Removal Tools
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Online Virus Removal Tutorials
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/virusremoval/virusremoval_info_tutorial.html

3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

There is a very helpful virus removal newsgroup you may wish to post to:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"clueless" wrote:

| I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
| it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
| thanks

Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

Good Luck!
---
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):

"clueless" wrote:

> I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
> it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
> thanks

Clueless

Thanks,

After at least twelve hours on the phone and exhausting 3 different helpful
Dell techs, I was told that I would need to reinstall windows. For my last
attempt, i checked out fixyourwindows.com and followed the instructions to
run regedit and deleted "vgabak" from the registry everywhere i saw it. When
I noticed there was one key that everytime I deleted it, it immediately
reappeared, I checked out the listed location in c:windows\web... No sign of
a "vgabak" file, but there was a suspicious looking .tmp file that kept
changing size. Without really knowing what I was doing I rebooted in safe
mode, was able to delete the .tmp file and the vgabak.exe file, and now
everything seems to be ok. Thanks again for your help everyone.

"r" wrote:

> Clean Windows Startup and hidden Startup:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsstartup.htm
>
> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
>
> Good Luck!
> ---
> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>

> "clueless" wrote:
>
> > I've tried adaware and spybot, and a virus scan, but whatever vgabak.exe is,
> > it spikes every few secods making my computer stutter and pause.
> > thanks

TRENDING THREADS