sp2 firewall

recently installed sp2
as I already have zone alarm, I turned off the windows firewall

.... or at least I thought I did

then I was unable to get a program update for other (tax related) software
that I depend on
and after calling tech support for all of these vendors, I find out that
they all use ftp to download

so I went back into windows security and find that the firewall is back on

so I turn it off again - and then I have no trouble downloading a program
update
.... until the next time I reboot my computer

apparently each and every time the computer is rebooted windows firewall
turns itself back on

for some reason (I have no clue as to why) each time I turn the microsoft
firewall off, the green light still shows as on in the main security
screen - wondering if this is somehow related to it auto-rejuvinating itself
when the computer gets rebooted

so, how do I get the windows firewall to stay off???????

--
<<< Benjamin Yazersky CPA [NJ & NY] >>>
6 answers Last reply

    Do like I did and get rid of SP2. Uninstallit.

    Sorry, Windows Firewall cannot be uninstalled. It can only be turned off.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Do like I did and get rid of SP2. Uninstallit.

    Just get rid of Zone Alarm and let Windows XP SP2 take care of the firewall.
    > Do like I did and get rid of SP2. Uninstallit.

    SP2 firewall uses stateful filtering and monitors inbound traffic only. If
    an app from within the box sends a request to the internet then the inbound
    response is automatically allowed, even if that app was a Trojan :-)

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Just get rid of Zone Alarm and let Windows XP SP2 take care of the
    > firewall.
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Do like I did and get rid of SP2. Uninstallit.

    turning it off is exactly what I am trying to do
    but it won't stay off!

    --
    <<< Benjamin Yazersky CPA [NJ & NY] >>>

    > Sorry, Windows Firewall cannot be uninstalled. It can only be turned off.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Do like I did and get rid of SP2. Uninstallit.

    Start->Run "services.msc"
    Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable
    it

    That should disable microcrap's firewall

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP