I'm running windows xpsp2 and would like to install the "Recovery Console".

Instructions tell me to insert my original windows sp1 cd and install it.
However, I'm getting a message that this cd does not match the installed
version of windows. Of course. I have then inserted the sp2disk but I can't
find the console file (winnt32.exe) on that disk.

Can you help me with this. I need to change the access to several of my
logical drives which are closed off to me.

Thanks.

Not your fault, Bullwinkle. The Recovery Console from an original or SP 1 CD
can't be installed once SP 2 has been installed (unless you have created a
copy of the Windows CD with SP 2 'slipstreamed'). You can still run the
Recovery Console directly from the CD.

Ted Zieglar

"bullwinkel J. Moose" <quincey.nyc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm running windows xpsp2 and would like to install the "Recovery
> Console".
>
> Instructions tell me to insert my original windows sp1 cd and install it.
> However, I'm getting a message that this cd does not match the installed
> version of windows. Of course. I have then inserted the sp2disk but I
> can't find the console file (winnt32.exe) on that disk.
>
> Can you help me with this. I need to change the access to several of my
> logical drives which are closed off to me.
>
> Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> I'm running windows xpsp2 and would like to install the "Recovery
Console".

> Instructions tell me to insert my original windows sp1 cd and install it.
> However, I'm getting a message that this cd does not match the installed
> version of windows. Of course. I have then inserted the sp2disk but I
can't
> find the console file (winnt32.exe) on that disk.
>
> Can you help me with this. I need to change the access to several of my
> logical drives which are closed off to me.

Can you install it from your HD?

c:\windows\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

check out www.certsbraindumps.com
they have a demo on installing recovery console
----------------------------------
> I'm running windows xpsp2 and would like to install the "Recovery
Console".

> Instructions tell me to insert my original windows sp1 cd and install it.
> However, I'm getting a message that this cd does not match the installed
> version of windows. Of course. I have then inserted the sp2disk but I
can't
> find the console file (winnt32.exe) on that disk.
>
> Can you help me with this. I need to change the access to several of my
> logical drives which are closed off to me.
>
> Thanks.

Thank you.

> Not your fault, Bullwinkle. The Recovery Console from an original or SP 1
> CD can't be installed once SP 2 has been installed (unless you have
> created a copy of the Windows CD with SP 2 'slipstreamed'). You can still
> run the Recovery Console directly from the CD.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "bullwinkel J. Moose" <quincey.nyc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I'm running windows xpsp2 and would like to install the "Recovery
>> Console".
>>
>> Instructions tell me to insert my original windows sp1 cd and install it.
>> However, I'm getting a message that this cd does not match the installed
>> version of windows. Of course. I have then inserted the sp2disk but I
>> can't find the console file (winnt32.exe) on that disk.
>>
>> Can you help me with this. I need to change the access to several of my
>> logical drives which are closed off to me.
>>
>> Thanks.

Slipstreaming the SP-2 patches into the XP CD files and making a new CD that
is XP with SP-2 is fairly easy. See the following link and note the
hyper-text link to somehting called the "nLite Download Page". Go there and
get the free software, install it then run it. When prompted for the
original XP installation, point ot the XP CDROM. When it asks for the
location of the service pack, point to either the SP-2 CDROM (free from
Microsoft, and available at some PC stores, also free), or to the location
on the disk where the SP-2 download is located.

Note that this program makes a file of format *.ISO. You need something
beyond the XP defualt CD-writer to convert it into a CD. Easy CD Creator or
Nero can do that. In Easy CD, choose an option like make CD from file, then
browse to the ISO file.

Test the CD by booting the PC and trying to run the recovery console form
it. If that works, then try installing the recovney console from it.