Help! [-peep-] disk performance

james_is_great

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2001
Should i buy a Promise Ultra ATA 100TX2 Controller?

I have an 1333MHz Athlon 133FSB, 256 MB cas2 ram, ABIT KT7a-RAID Bios 3R but I feel that the IDE controllers are slowing the Drives (3x GXP60 in RAID 0 using win2k)

HDtach says Read sequential 45MB/s But testing a similar drive on its own (i have 4 of em) scores 30MB/s (all the drives are on seperate channels so there all masters using ATA100)

These are best scores after pissing about in BIOS disabling recommend stuff to help performance.

I have latest drivers and cpu utillisation is low so is its VIA KT133A chipset surport for IDE the problem and would buying a Promise Ultra ATA 100TX2 Controller solve the problem? Is this a problem with all AMD boards/ VIA chipsets coz i never had trouble with Intel chipsets.

Find a job you love and you will never work a day.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD board uses the VIA southbridge that has the IDE controller so the problem stays. basically, recent reports with data corruption and inferior performance are the main issues againt the VIA 686B southbridge.

getting a external ATA/100 controller should help improve the disk performance, try the latest Promise and VIA IDE drivers to see if it works fine. if you are using a CD burner of IDE Zip drive stay away from it.

you already have Promise ATA/100 controller with Raid onboard. i guess you have put two disks on Raid 0 and two on the VIA IDE channels. what are performance readings on other drives, RAID 0 being one and the other two?

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>