Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

explore.exe stops responding after file copy or move

Tags:
  • Windows XP
October 13, 2004 11:03:06 AM

For many months now, I've had a problem with WinXP Home Edition where
immediately after a file copy or move, explore.exe takes up 100% of my CPU
indefinitely. The only solution is to log off or reboot.

This has happened in the past, and the only way I've cleared it up was to
wipe the hard drive and install a clean copy of the OS. The problem seems to
happen after I do a large move/copy operation that involves many hundreds of
files. Once the symptoms appear, the problem happens consistently--as is the
case now.

My theory is that this might have to do with the way windows explorer
interfaces with the disk drive's file table. Once this table undergoes a
major change as seen in a high quantity file move/copy operation, windows
explorer seems to get stuck in an endless loop performing some CPU intensive
operation.

I've seen this problem on a variety of machines with varying hardware
configurations, ruling out a problem with any specific hard drive. It
happens with Win2000, WinXP, and WinXP SP2.

My question to the group or, preferably, to a Microsoft representative, is
whether there is a solution to this problem. I've searched the knowledge
base and user groups and have not found a solution.

Thanks,
Steve

More about : explore exe stops responding file copy move

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:26:56 PM

"Steve Stringer" <SteveStringer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7579F70E-68B4-4499-8BF9-54A1BA752FE0@microsoft.com...
> For many months now, I've had a problem with WinXP Home Edition where
> immediately after a file copy or move, explore.exe takes up 100% of my
> CPU
> indefinitely. The only solution is to log off or reboot.
>
> This has happened in the past, and the only way I've cleared it up was
> wipe the hard drive and install a clean copy of the OS. The problem
> seems to
> happen after I do a large move/copy operation that involves many
> hundreds of
> files. Once the symptoms appear, the problem happens consistently--as
> is the
> case now.
>
> My theory is that this might have to do with the way windows explorer
> interfaces with the disk drive's file table. Once this table
> undergoes a
> major change as seen in a high quantity file move/copy operation,
> windows
> explorer seems to get stuck in an endless loop performing some CPU
> intensive
> operation.
>
> I've seen this problem on a variety of machines with varying hardware
> configurations, ruling out a problem with any specific hard drive. It
> happens with Win2000, WinXP, and WinXP SP2.
>
> My question to the group or, preferably, to a Microsoft
> representative, is
> whether there is a solution to this problem. I've searched the
> knowledge
> base and user groups and have not found a solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

If you are moving *.avi files, there is a known problem with avi files
that are corrupted. XP wants to read the entire avi file into memory
and repair the internal indices, and a corrupt avi will cause these
types of problems.

There is a fix: http://www.neuro-tech.net/archives/000332.html