Can't Collect Information

When I try to run System Information on this XP Home PC, I get the
message "Can't Collect Information
Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."

I *am* the administrator, as it's a sole use system, no network, i.e.
about as simple as they come. Can someone kindly put me on the road to
fixing this please?
--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
6 answers Last reply

    Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323209

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Terry Pinnell" wrote:

    | When I try to run System Information on this XP Home PC, I get the
    | message "Can't Collect Information
    | Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
    | computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."
    |
    | I *am* the administrator, as it's a sole use system, no network, i.e.
    | about as simple as they come. Can someone kindly put me on the road to
    | fixing this please?
    | --
    | Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Hi Terry

    Is this when trying to run 'msinfo32.exe'? If so, please try the following
    link to Kelly's web site:

    Line 221 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Terry
    >
    >Is this when trying to run 'msinfo32.exe'? If so, please try the following
    >link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    >Line 221 - right hand side
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    Thanks, but unfortunately, after running that REG file, the problem
    remained. On re-running msinfo32.exe, I still got same message:
    "Can't Collect Information
    Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
    computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."

    Was the purpose of Kelly's fix to change my access permissions?

    BTW, I have not found an explanation of these many handy fixes. I
    would undoubtedly use more of them, if only I had more info I what
    they do, why they work, precautions to take, etc!

    Which 'access permissions' are involved here please? After reading up
    the subject, maybe I can attempt it myself (in Safe mode, as
    Administrator). But WHERE do I start?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Terry
    >>
    >>Is this when trying to run 'msinfo32.exe'? If so, please try the
    >>following
    >>link to Kelly's web site:
    >>
    >>Line 221 - right hand side
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    > Thanks, but unfortunately, after running that REG file, the problem
    > remained. On re-running msinfo32.exe, I still got same message:
    > "Can't Collect Information
    > Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
    > computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."
    >
    > Was the purpose of Kelly's fix to change my access permissions?
    >
    > BTW, I have not found an explanation of these many handy fixes. I
    > would undoubtedly use more of them, if only I had more info I what
    > they do, why they work, precautions to take, etc!
    >
    > Which 'access permissions' are involved here please? After reading up
    > the subject, maybe I can attempt it myself (in Safe mode, as
    > Administrator). But WHERE do I start?

    Hi

    Kelly's fix was to restore the msinfo32 function so that you could view the
    system information.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Kelly's fix was to restore the msinfo32 function so that you could view the
    >system information.

    Well, yes, thanks - but obviously my question was *how*?!

    As you see, it failed to do its job in my case. So I'd like to better
    understand why not.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323209

    Thanks, appreciate the reply. But unfortunately I found that late Tues
    night and it didn't resolve the problem.

    All 3 of those were and are running OK here, according to my Services
    list.

    And that KB 259733 is a long and (to me) dauntingly complex page. In
    overview it says:
    "To resolve these issues, you can configure the service to use the
    built-in system account, change the password for the specified user
    account to match the current password for that user, or restore the
    user's right to log on as a service."

    So what does that mean in plain english please?

    I'm the only user (Terry, Computer administrator, Password protected),
    so I assume the part of the body of the article that is relevant is
    that which begins:
    "Member Server; If the user is a member of a stand-alone member
    server: 1. Start the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in,"

    That too means nothing to me! How *do* I start that on XP Home please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

Windows Management Windows XP