Sign in with
Your question

Router Feature Question

Last response: in Networking
September 8, 2002 7:34:59 PM

I'm looking for a router that will allow some sort of bandwidth dedication or throttling. I want to be able to specifically assign bandwidth to each user on my home network; so that one person's downloading won't affect another's gaming; so that the web server/mail server will not take too much speed if many users are visiting it at a time. I however, have not been able to find a router that has these features. Or at least not one that says it has these features. Does anyone know of a router that supports what I am looking for? Thank you for your help.
September 9, 2002 3:31:34 AM

ive never heard of this feature being in any small router. perhaps you could find a switch that could?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
September 9, 2002 4:01:50 PM

Not that I have seen in any consumer product.

Some small office products do offer some additional features over the consumer products, but mostly in the areas of configuration and reporting. (i.e. Netgear FR314 which is a subset of the SonicWall)

The best course of action might be to setup some type of quality of service rules and use that to help, but as for a consumer level of Firewall, that will give you this, I think you are out of luck at the moment.
Related resources
September 9, 2002 9:43:20 PM

I WONDER IS THERE A WAY TO LIMIT BANDWIDTH ALLOWED ON THE CLIENT NIC CARD THAT COULD ACCOMPLISH WHAT HE WANTS ??

oops sorry for the cap lock and I'm too lazy to fix it

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fudde..." target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>
September 13, 2002 2:06:20 PM

Thank you for all of your help. The only fully hardware solution that I have found that offers the exact features that I want (though not enough ports) has been the ipMux by IMC Networks http://www.imcnetworks.com/products/ipmux.asp however the tp/5 module sells for $500-$700 and the tx/5 module sells for closer to $1,000. Then there is the matter of purchasing the chasis. Anyway, thank you for all of your help. I suppose now I'm off to look at building my own with FreeBSD and an old P-166 I have. :) 
September 13, 2002 2:15:22 PM

building your own sounds like a fun project, but I'm wondering what the reality of your need for this functionality in a home network is. IMHO just getting a router and letting the chips fall as they may bandwidth-wise would be more than sufficient.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
September 13, 2002 5:45:47 PM

Well right now I'm stuck on 128k ISDN. My brother is hardcore into online gaming. And because of these bandwidth limitations he can't game if another node is browsing the internet, downloading, etc. The only way he can game and another node can use the internet is for that other node to be gaming as well. I am a pretty cheap person. I'm not ready to go out and buy a router that has QoS because I'm not sure how well the priorities work. Nor am I confident that even with the priorities enabled, the QoS will allow for gaming stability or a respectable web viewing session while gaming. I want the router to do what I want, when I want, with efficiency, guaranteed. And I don't really see that with QoS. I could be wrong, but again, I'm cheap, I don't have the money to spend to test it out. We used to have 64k ISDN though. And that gave about the same ping when one node is gaming; maybe 10-30ms higher than our 128k does now. So I want a router to be able to give his node 64k and all other nodes the other 64k, since I don't game like he does.

This router would also be used when we get 1.5Mb wireless. This is supposed to be available to us in 2 months. I want to be able to run a web server, ftp server, and SMTP server on its own 256 or 512 pipe. Thereby eliminating any bandwidth burst if someone was to download from it. Now the burst may not be noticeable on 1.5Mb but since I've never had the luxury of such speed I don't know. I do know, however, that at universities all across the land, bandwidth hogging is a major issue. So, on a smaller scale I could eliminate that. i.e., you get 512, I get 512, the web server gets 512, and no one infringes on anyone else. I have a few more nodes and a little bit more splitting to do, but you get the idea. Granted this is a "no more, no less" approach, which doesn't allow any one node to use the full beauty of 1.5Mbps, however, if I have to say "no more" to guarantee the "no less" than that’s what I shall do. Now QoS might provide for this exactly. But as I said, I have doubts about its abilities in my current situation. And I'm more worried about the minimum guarantee than I am about the burstable speed. Besides, going from shared 128k to a guaranteed 512k is a big step up :) 
September 14, 2002 2:26:48 AM

there's no DSL or cable? IDSN is SUCH a ripoff, I'd almost go back to dailup instead of that.

AFA bandwidth probs, I personally would just make a gentlemans agreement between the 2 of you for surfing/gaming hours etc. and HOPE that afforable broadband arrives soon. But thats just me. The project still sounds like fun. Good luck.

September 14, 2002 3:39:32 PM

No, no cable or dsl. We've been living in this area for 3 years now. Every time we call either the telco or the cable company we get the same response. "It should be available to you within (3-6) months." Or sometimes "It should be available to you by (insert name of season here, summer, fall, christmas, etc.)" So I guess it’s just as much of a long shot that we'll have wireless in 2 months as I've been told.

IMHO Verizon is the WORST telco out there when it comes to ripping people off. I really have a deep seeded hate for them. In addition to their local phone service being the quality that one might expect of a third world country, their wireless service (cell phones) are HORRIBLE. Those "can you hear me now" commercials are flat out LIES. A prime example, I live in St. Louis, MO. While traveling about an hour north of the city I used my cell phone. Now I could go on about how bad the connection was etc, but that’s not the worst part. I get the bill, with extreme roaming charges, and it says I bounced a call from a Wyoming tower . . . WYOMING. For those of you non-geography buffs, that’s a lot more than a few hundred miles. :ahem:: excuse me, that’s not the matter at hand. Charter (we used to have AT&T cable) isn’t anything special themselves. If we had a choice we would gladly, and in a heartbeat, get rid of Verizon and Charter. But alas, no such luck. The only reason we haven't gone back to dialup is because of packet loss over analog.

As far as the gentleman’s agreement . . . well that would be the easy thing, and who wants to do that? :)  j/k. However, not only he and I use the connection. There are parental units to consider as well as my unrestrainable urge to visit www.tomshardware.com; or on his side, the urge for virtual carnage. Seriously, it’s really hard to do. Because the connection is so slow, and download times are high, half of my time is spent queuing things for download and setting schedules. For example, it has taken me 3.5 - 4 days to get FreeBSD. Actually, it's still downloading as I type, but should be done within the hour. So, if I download an average of 6hours per night, at 12k, I get about 250Mb a day. (Only 6hrs because our isp likes to drop our lines in the early mornings and keep clearing our calls for a random amount of time) Anyway, if I were to have 6k downloads though, for even 18hrs a day, I would be able to get roughly 375Mb a day. So it would be nice to be able to start downloading or web browsing at any time without having to ask if he's gaming. And from his side, it would be nice to be able to jump into a server at any time without having to see if someone else is interwebbing. Not to mention when he's in a heated battle and all of a sudden his ping jumps from 160 to 620 because one of the other nodes forgot its gaming hour. :)  Thank you for your suggestions.
September 15, 2002 2:41:35 AM

I see your dilemna. Sucks. What are you paying for ISDN?

BTW - the company I work for (now Reuters but formerly Bridge Information Systems) has a big datacenter in Creve Couer. (sp?) Are you anywhere near there? I could ask some of the guys who live around there if they know of any other options for you..

September 15, 2002 3:17:25 AM

Let’s see total cost, line and isp is about $120 a month. ~$90 for the line, I believe. I live about 30-40 minutes west of Creve Coeur. Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to my ranting and bitching. I greatly appreciate your help and your willingness to help. It would make my year to be able to stick it to the Verizon man.
!