The BF 3 Performance Thread

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
To save all the 'will my rig run bf3' questions how about we have a thread (this one) that lists systems and the performance that we are seeing on the beta so people can lookup and see how they will get on based on actuals from similar systems? I'll kick it off and if people like it they'll post and if not it'll soon drop off page 1..

CPU: Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz
GPU: HD 6950 2GB @ 800 Mhz
Display: 1920*1080
Settings: All High and Ultra Textures med AA
Fraps Min Max Avg (Metro): 45 / 90 / 71
Fraps Min Max Avg (Caspian): 21 / 86 / 32

Note: The ATI preview drivers show about a 15ps improvement from the previous drivers

EDIT: These are from the beta and are the automatic settings that were applied on install so will be subject to change when the full release is delivered with the associated DX11 enhancements and eye candy

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

....You do realize that DX11 and Ultra settings are currently not in game. Futhermore all in game features ..Tessalation and Depth of field will not be implemented until release. EA/Dice stated all the eye candy/options are not in game yet.

Also check out HardOCPs write up with your card 6950 a better CPU and same graphics options that card did far worse than what your stated ...45/90/71. They ran tests and got 35/58/44 still playable but 20-35% less performance than you apparently had, I am not calling you a lair but I will take their word over yours. Also they did have 4x AA on which the 6950 would have no problems with.....

Also I see you edited your original post to state all features as well as dx11 are currently not implemented. This game is going to be a HOG and im guessing frames will be about the same if not worse than metro 2033.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm no expert on the features I'm afraid, just playing the demo as it came. Haven't had a chance to look at the review yet but just played a couple of rounds on Caspian now it's on the Beta and get much lower framerates which I've added.

I guess the AA could be the difference on Metro, maybe I'll give it a go with the AA on and see how it goes.

But I can assure you those were genuine Fraps results taken outside in the initial part of Metro.

Actually It's weird, having read the article it talks about randomness in framerates and that is kind of what I see looking back at all my benchmarks. On Metro on Auto settings which was all high and ultra textures my average framerates were around 60fps over about 5 or 6 benchmarks up until the 3rd Oct and now they are around 35-40 guess we'll have to wait for retail to see what thing look like in the end...

Also saw no difference in framerates between high and ultra settings which suggests maybe not all settings and textures are finished yet..

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II - 955 (stock clock: 3.2ghz)
GPU: ATI 4870 1GB (stock clocks)
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 - 1333mhz
MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair IV Formula
HDD: Samsung spinpoint F1 7200RPM, 32MB Cache
PSU: Hiper Type-M 580W

I'm getting terrible framerates when outdoors - about 20-25 and about 30 indoors on the low preset (the game recommended high for me) at any resolution pretty much. The only way i can get the game to run smooth is by running it in a tiny window with a resolution of something like 1024x" ". Seems a bit wrong for my system. Thought i should be getting 30+ fps on medium settings with a res a couple of notches down from my native of 1920x1080. What do you guys think? I manage to play bad company 2 at generally pretty nice framerates at 1920x1080 in 32 player servers. it does drop at times but i reckon its normally around 40fps.

Also I wanted to add that im going crossfire with the 4870's and a 850w corsair psu soon. does anyone have a similar setup to that and what fps do you get? thanks :)

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Problem solved on change of FPS..

My PC crashed a while back and my motherboard reset so I lost my overclock..

So an interesting factor to note with my Q6600 clocked at 3Ghz my avg fps benchmarks read 61, 62, 63, 74 across 4 benchmarks

Clocked at stock (2.4 GHz) they read 32, 30, 35, 41

Each benchmark was 60 seconds of random gameplay outside on metro and the framerates are reasonably consistent so I think we know that CPU clock speed is a big factor!!