i dont have an automated recovery disk

i dont have an automated recovery disk for my daughters pc. is there any way
i an recover her system? i have tried using the windows xp pro cd but it just
prompts me for the recovery floppy with the asr files on it, which i have
never made. any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about dont automated recovery disk

    What, exactly, do you need to recover?

    If you need to recover the so-called system state (consisting of the
    registry and a collection of key system and user files), use system restore.

    If you need to recover the system partition (consisting of Windows and,
    typically, your applications) and/or your data files (documents, photos,
    etc.) and you have a known good backup, restore from the backup. If you do
    not have a backup, you will not be able to restore the system partition, and
    you will not be able to recover your data files unless you are prepared to
    use the recovery console.

    "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058

    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "jock488" <jock488@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i dont have an automated recovery disk for my daughters pc. is there any
    way
    > i an recover her system? i have tried using the windows xp pro cd but it
    just
    > prompts me for the recovery floppy with the asr files on it, which i have
    > never made. any help would be greatly appreciated.

    the pc wont boot up at all. it searches for primary master and slave drives
    and none are detected, and it only boots up so far using the windows xp cd.
    it asks for the recovery floppy (automaed recovery disk). i havent made an
    automated recovery disk and apparently the disk is specific to the pc i.e. it
    has to made on the pc you are tryin to recover. i cant get into setup to use
    safe mode or last known good configuration. how do i use the recovery console?

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > What, exactly, do you need to recover?
    >
    > If you need to recover the so-called system state (consisting of the
    > registry and a collection of key system and user files), use system restore.
    >
    > If you need to recover the system partition (consisting of Windows and,
    > typically, your applications) and/or your data files (documents, photos,
    > etc.) and you have a known good backup, restore from the backup. If you do
    > not have a backup, you will not be able to restore the system partition, and
    > you will not be able to recover your data files unless you are prepared to
    > use the recovery console.
    >
    > "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "jock488" <jock488@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i dont have an automated recovery disk for my daughters pc. is there any
    > way
    > > i an recover her system? i have tried using the windows xp pro cd but it
    > just
    > > prompts me for the recovery floppy with the asr files on it, which i have
    > > never made. any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Open the computer case and make sure that the hard disk data cable is
    securely connected to the hard disk and to the motherboard. If this does not
    allow you to boot the computer, go to the technical support web site of the
    hard disk's manufacturer and run their diagnostic software. (You typically
    create a floppy disk, using the manufacturer's instructions, and boot the
    computer from the floppy.) This will tell you if there is a problem with the
    hard disk.

    If there is a problem with the hard disk, you'll need to have it replaced.
    The manufacturer may also provide you with software that will help you to
    recover any data files. Otherwise, you'll need to find someone who is
    experienced with using the recovery console.

    Do you suspect that a virus may be behind the problem?
    --

    > the pc wont boot up at all. it searches for primary master and slave
    drives
    > and none are detected, and it only boots up so far using the windows xp
    cd.
    > it asks for the recovery floppy (automaed recovery disk). i havent made an
    > automated recovery disk and apparently the disk is specific to the pc i.e.
    it
    > has to made on the pc you are tryin to recover. i cant get into setup to
    use
    > safe mode or last known good configuration. how do i use the recovery
    console?

    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > What, exactly, do you need to recover?
    > >
    > > If you need to recover the so-called system state (consisting of the
    > > registry and a collection of key system and user files), use system
    restore.

    > > If you need to recover the system partition (consisting of Windows and,
    > > typically, your applications) and/or your data files (documents, photos,
    > > etc.) and you have a known good backup, restore from the backup. If you
    do
    > > not have a backup, you will not be able to restore the system partition,
    and
    > > you will not be able to recover your data files unless you are prepared
    > > use the recovery console.
    > >
    > > "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >

    > > "jock488" <jock488@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > i dont have an automated recovery disk for my daughters pc. is there
    any
    > > way
    > > > i an recover her system? i have tried using the windows xp pro cd but
    it
    > > just
    > > > prompts me for the recovery floppy with the asr files on it, which i
    have
    > > > never made. any help would be greatly appreciated.

    no its not a virus related problem as the pc isnt connected to the internet.
    thanks for all your help though, ill try the manufacturers website and see
    what i can come up with.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > >

    > > > "jock488" <jock488@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > any
    > > > way
    > it
    > > > just
    > have

    "jock488" <jock488@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >the pc wont boot up at all. it searches for primary master and slave drives
    >and none are detected, and it only boots up so far using the windows xp cd.
    >it asks for the recovery floppy (automaed recovery disk). i havent made an
    >automated recovery disk and apparently the disk is specific to the pc i.e. it
    >has to made on the pc you are tryin to recover. i cant get into setup to use
    >safe mode or last known good configuration. how do i use the recovery console?

    If the Power On Self Test (before the Windows XP Startup logo shows)
    is failing to detect the hard drive then that is a hardware issue and
    has nothing to do with Windows. Using an ASR disk or the Windows XP
    CDROM will not be of any help in resolving this type of problem.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service