KG7 Where to Start

G

Ok, I keep seeing the same thing over and over again... So here is my 2-bits.

When you are building a new AMD system, you will save yourself sooooooo many headaches if you follow a few simple steps up front.

Firstly, AMD systems require some drivers that are not stock with your windows operating system. (VIA 4 in 1 drivers and AGP miniport driver)

These drivers affect how your operating system (Windows) controls all kinds of stuff like USB, PCI Bus, Mass Data Storage, AGP, etc.

So doesn't it make sense that loading up all your PCI cards BEFORE these drivers are loaded is kind of silly?

When you are preparing to boot the first time, only install your video card!

Don't go into the BIOS and start tweaking the hell out of your system before it is even operating (DUH!)

The first time you power it up, go to the setup screen and set softmenu III to the CORRECT speed for your CPU such as 1400(133) for example. I mean seriously it is really nieve to think you can start your system build trying to OC it at 1600/150 (DUH again!)

once your system is booted, install windows. Now follow all those nice little instructions in the MoBo manual you don't think you have time to read so you get the VIA and AMD drivers installed PROPERLY.

With this done and windows stable, NOW you can start installing your PCI cards ONE AT A TIME (DUH one last time).

When all your PCI cards are installed, and your windows is stable, you might just be able to do a little tweakin' without having to troubleshoot your "BROKEN" (yeah, right!) motherboard

(OK, yes I know this was an obnoxious post.... sue me!)

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
i think a lot of people are also falling over the pci divider3/3/1 with 100fsb &4/4/1 with 133fsb
its not clear in the manual wot this setting does!!!

G

I think so too. While their english is getting better.... Some of their explanations are little more than a reiteration of the menu words. Drives me nutz!

I wish they knew that when the menu says (just a sarcastic analogy here) "Frequency A settings" and the manual says "This is where you can change the settings of Frequency A" for an explanation of the menu... they really haven't helped all that much (Oh God, I feel another one comming on..... DUUUUHHHHHH!)

Another vote for the "I won't tweak it till someone at THG tells me what it does" philosophy that has been serving me so well!

TRENDING THREADS