STANDBY dosen't work

Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it wakes
itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting it
in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone?

This is W-XP Home Addition/no SP2 installed. Please do not suggest we
install SP2 as we've heard too many horror stories.

TIA :-)

FS.......
10 answers Last reply
More about standby dosen work

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it
    > wakes itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything
    > before putting it in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone?
    >
    > This is W-XP Home Addition/no SP2 installed. Please do not suggest
    > we install SP2 as we've heard too many horror stories.
    >
    > TIA :-)
    >
    > FS.......

    Check in your computer's bios, see if there is an option something like "
    wake on lan" that is selected.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > > Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it
    > > wakes itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything
    > > before putting it in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone?
    > >
    > > This is W-XP Home Addition/no SP2 installed. Please do not suggest
    > > we install SP2 as we've heard too many horror stories.
    > >
    > > TIA :-)
    > >
    > > FS.......
    >
    > Check in your computer's bios, see if there is an option something like "
    > wake on lan" that is selected.
    =======================
    Where is the bios? I know what it is, I don't know how to find it.

    FS.......

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds
    >>> it wakes itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything
    >>> before putting it in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help.
    >>> Anyone?
    >>>
    >>> This is W-XP Home Addition/no SP2 installed. Please do not suggest
    >>> we install SP2 as we've heard too many horror stories.
    >>>
    >>> TIA :-)
    >>>
    >>> FS.......
    >>
    >> Check in your computer's bios, see if there is an option something
    >> like " wake on lan" that is selected.
    > =======================
    > Where is the bios? I know what it is, I don't know how to find it.
    >
    > FS.......

    When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where your
    system is "posting".
    You should see it do a memory check, then some other things. Fairly early in
    this boot process, you should see a message on how to enter bios, or setup.
    Oftentimes it is press the del key, or a function key.
    This will take you into the bios.

    Be careful in there, inadvertent changes in there could render your system
    unbootable.

    --

    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > >> Check in your computer's bios, see if there is an option something
    > >> like " wake on lan" that is selected.
    > > =======================
    > > Where is the bios? I know what it is, I don't know how to find it.
    > >
    > > FS.......
    >
    > When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where your
    > system is "posting".
    > You should see it do a memory check, then some other things. Fairly early
    in
    > this boot process, you should see a message on how to enter bios, or
    setup.
    > Oftentimes it is press the del key, or a function key.
    > This will take you into the bios.
    >
    > Be careful in there, inadvertent changes in there could render your system
    > unbootable.
    > --
    > Don Burnette
    ============================
    I'm not qualified to be messing in the BIOS. Is there anything else I can do
    to fix this problem?

    FS..........

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

    >>> =======================
    >>> Where is the bios? I know what it is, I don't know how to find it.
    >>>
    >>> FS.......
    >>
    >> When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where
    >> your system is "posting".
    >> You should see it do a memory check, then some other things. Fairly
    >> early in this boot process, you should see a message on how to enter
    >> bios, or setup. Oftentimes it is press the del key, or a function
    >> key.
    >> This will take you into the bios.
    >>
    >> Be careful in there, inadvertent changes in there could render your
    >> system unbootable.
    >> --
    >> Don Burnette
    > ============================
    > I'm not qualified to be messing in the BIOS. Is there anything else I
    > can do to fix this problem?
    >
    > FS..........

    Can you get someone that your comfortable with checking the bios?

    Based on the fact that it keeps coming out of standbye, I suspect you have a
    wake on lan setting or wake on something setting in there that is checked.

    Has it always done this, or just recently started? If just recently started,
    can you recall any changes that were made, ie installation of devices,
    software, etc just before it started doing this?

    --

    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > >> When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where
    > >> your system is "posting".
    > >> You should see it do a memory check, then some other things. Fairly
    > >> early in this boot process, you should see a message on how to enter
    > >> bios, or setup. Oftentimes it is press the del key, or a function
    > >> key.
    > >> This will take you into the bios.
    > >>
    > >> Be careful in there, inadvertent changes in there could render your
    > >> system unbootable.
    > >> --
    > >> Don Burnette
    > > ============================
    > > I'm not qualified to be messing in the BIOS. Is there anything else I
    > > can do to fix this problem?
    > >
    > > FS..........
    >
    > Can you get someone that your comfortable with checking the bios?

    ## No. Most of the people I know know less about PCs than I do. The shop
    in town will charge me $25 to $40 just to look at it. Their usual fix for
    ANY problem is to reformat/reinstall the OS (and charge as much as $100).

    > Based on the fact that it keeps coming out of standbye, I suspect you have
    > wake on lan setting or wake on something setting in there that is checked.

    ## But then wouldn't it wake up every time? It does stay asleep about 10%
    of the time.

    > Has it always done this, or just recently started? If just recently
    started,
    > can you recall any changes that were made, ie installation of devices,
    > software, etc just before it started doing this?

    ## The problem always occurred to some extent. I guess I could start
    shutting off things via msconfig and try to narrow it down.

    FS.............

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > ## The problem always occurred to some extent. I guess I could start
    > shutting off things via msconfig and try to narrow it down.
    Nope, we couldn't find anything to STOP it from staying in Standby mode.
    :-(

    FS.........

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where your
    > system is "posting".
    ===========================
    This may happen with the store bought version of XP-Home, but not on the HP
    PCs where the OS is already installed. I'll try a few other MS NGs.
    Perhaps someone on one of them will know how to fix this problem.

    FS.........
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where
    >> your system is "posting".
    > ===========================
    > This may happen with the store bought version of XP-Home, but not on
    > the HP PCs where the OS is already installed. I'll try a few other
    > MS NGs. Perhaps someone on one of them will know how to fix this
    > problem.
    >
    > FS.........

    The windows OS has nothing to do with the bios. You access that before
    windows even starts to load.
    The bios goes through a " self test" , assigning irq's and setting the
    motherboard up to communicate with the OS, and it is during this process
    that you can enter the bios.

    HP may have it hidden behind a splash screen, and there should be an option
    to allow you to access the bios. Check your computer or motherboard manual,
    or you can also probably check online somewhere for your particular
    computer.

    Good luck in resolving the problem,

    --
    Don Burnette
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> When you first boot up your pc, you should see on your monitor where
    > >> your system is "posting".
    > > ===========================
    > > This may happen with the store bought version of XP-Home, but not on
    > > the HP PCs where the OS is already installed. I'll try a few other
    > > MS NGs. Perhaps someone on one of them will know how to fix this
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > FS.........
    > The windows OS has nothing to do with the bios. You access that before
    > windows even starts to load.
    > The bios goes through a " self test" , assigning irq's and setting the
    > motherboard up to communicate with the OS, and it is during this process
    > that you can enter the bios.

    ## There doesn't seem to be any way to do that on my PC.

    > HP may have it hidden behind a splash screen, and there should be an
    option
    > to allow you to access the bios. Check your computer or motherboard
    manual,

    ## HP does not supply an manuals. Just a few useless pamphlets. They
    don't even give you the CDs anymore. We had to make our own (on a DVD) in
    case we need to reinstall WXP. There's no quality left.....

    > or you can also probably check online somewhere for your particular
    > computer.

    > Good luck in resolving the problem,

    ## Thanks.... :0)

Microsoft Windows XP