what is partitioning????

yeah hi that I could partition my hard drive and have the operating on
different disk drive, without my files so that if the operating system
becomes corrupt i can simply reinstall the Operating system without losing
all of my files.....

Is this really possible ????

If it is, can anybody please help me out and tell me how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about what partitioning

    Check out these two sites. http://fdisk.radified.com/ ,
    http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/harddisk/partition.htm .

    --
    Curt.

    "windows virgin" <windows virgin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > yeah hi that I could partition my hard drive and have the operating on
    > different disk drive, without my files so that if the operating system
    > becomes corrupt i can simply reinstall the Operating system without losing
    > all of my files.....
    >
    > Is this really possible ????
    >
    > If it is, can anybody please help me out and tell me how to do this.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Partitioning is a huge topic, beyond the scope of a news post. Here is an
    introduction:

    To partition means to organize a hard disk into two or more sections. Each
    section appears to Windows as though it is a separate hard disk. Technically
    speaking, partitioning divides a physical disk into two or more logical
    disks. Each logical disk gets its own letter.

    With Windows XP there is no need at all to partition a hard disk, unless you
    want to install more than one operating system on a single physical disk.
    However, many people partition their hard disks for convenience.

    Partitioning a hard disk is not a job for a novice. You can destroy your
    system unless you know exactly what you're doing. I suggest you search the
    Internet for information about partitioning before you attempt it.

    If you want to partition your hard disk without losing data you'll need to
    purchase a third party program - Symantec's Partition Magic is a popular
    choice.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "windows virgin" <windows virgin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > yeah hi that I could partition my hard drive and have the operating on
    > different disk drive, without my files so that if the operating system
    > becomes corrupt i can simply reinstall the Operating system without losing
    > all of my files.....
    >
    > Is this really possible ????
    >
    > If it is, can anybody please help me out and tell me how to do this.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP